For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Dog first aid
  • okironokiron
    What is a list of things you always have in your first aid kit specifically for your dog(s)? What is a list of things you always carry with you when hiking or generally outdoors for your dog(s)?
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I'm curious to know this as well - I'm recertifying on Adult First & CPR next month and I'll probably add Pet First Aid to the certification - I'd love to know what other people pack.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • okironokiron
    I'm hoping to take pet first aid/cpr classes within the next couple months. If all goes accordingly, I wont even have to pay for it :)
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    I am certified through Red Cross for canine first aid - although thankfully the most I've ever had to do was help a tin can cut bloody paw.
    this is the resource website I tell people about, it has the most thorough information on it comparable to what I learned in my course:
    http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_FirstAid.php
  • okironokiron
    I'm actually looking for personal experiences Jen, not a website made list. Can you contribute to something you have because you have learned it was a useful thing to have handy?
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    I was just trying to contribute. sorry!
  • okironokiron
    No need to be sorry, I'm just wanting a little more of a "real" experience than website lists like I explained.
  • RomiRomi
    I haven't really looked into first aid for dogs, although I should.

Im not sure if this will be any help, but I was watching an episode of "Groomer Has It" and they had a challenge regarding to CPR and First Aid on a Canine.

Here is a list of tools they had handy:

Rope - They used this as a muzzle, they tied it around the snout. Their reasoning for it was that if a dog is in pain or fearful and you are trying help it, they might snap at you, not because they are aggressive, but because they are in pain or scared.

Toilet Paper Roll (the cardboard part only) - They used this to stabilize a broken/fractured leg - the roll would keep it in place until you can get the animal transported to a hospital.

Gauze Wrap - Same use as the toilet paper roll, just takes more time. (they were being timed on how long it took them to go through each of the steps on the show).

Bandages - In the show, they had to pretend they accidently clipped the dogs ear - so they got a bandage to stop the bleeding and wrapped it with gauze wrap.

CPR - They said that if you ever come across a dog that isn't breathing, the first thing to do is check the pulse and begin CPR.

They had some lady on the show who taught them all the techniques and she was certified, so im assuming all of these methods are correct. Don't mark my words though!

If you go to www.animalplanet.com and go to "Groomer Has It" You can watch the episode on demand. The name of the episode is "Meowza".

BTW - I think it's great that you're going to be taking classes!
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    That's a cool list of items - I'll go watch the episode - THX

Well, I figure if I'm trained in human first aid & cpr and I'm on site of a situation whether car wreck or home - there's a good chance a pet will be involved.
    CSC_0144
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    We have a book that we have used in the past - we take it with us while packing / camping w/ our furry partners:

We also have the Ruffwear first aid kit, it's OK.

----
  • okironokiron
    I was looking at the Ruffwear first aid kit. IMO I could make a better one myself at a cheaper price.
  • okironokiron
    Well here's some things in our animal first aid shelf now that can be used for the dogs as well:

Pedialyte
    Canned pumpkin
    Kwik Stop
    Bene-Bac
    Epson salt
    Hydrogen peroxide
    Bag balm
    Baby gas drops
    Thermometer
    Vaseline
    Post edited by okiron at 2008-05-27 02:17:00
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Outdoor Safety - Canine First Aid Kits:

http://www.outdoorsafety.net/sportingdogkits.htm

I've been meaning to buy one of these forever. I really need to pick up some EMT gel for the house, and each car.
  • JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    what is emt gel?
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    From a website:
    EMT Gel is the "First Aid Kit in a Tube." Applied to a wound, EMT Gel helps reduce bleeding, seals off nerve endings to diminish pain and itching, and forms a protective barrier over the wound that reduces the chance of infection. But EMT Gel does more. This breakthrough collagen formulation works with the body to speed new cell growth and healing. EMT Gel can be used on cuts, injured pads, burns, flesh tears, "hotspots", surgical sites, to assist healing when removing dew claws or docking tails, and for bleeders when trimming toenails. EMT Gel is safe for use on all animals

I think of it as Canine Neosporin.
    CSC_0144
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    It's a gel that you put on wounds to heal them. Small cuts or large, for large cuts I believe it can stop up even large blood flows for a couple hours while you get your pet to an ER.

http://emtgel.com/

What EMT Gel & Spray Are
    EMT Gel is an all-natural gel containing a natural medical hydrolysate Type I collagen as its active ingredient. It interacts with the wound site maintaining a moist environment that encourages wound healing.

Collagen provides the matrix for new cell growth. It acts as a tissue adhesive, helps to prevent bacterial infection and reduces the potential of scarring.

EMT Gel:

Reduces bleeding
    Reduces pain
    Soothes and deodorizes
    Can be used on both large and small animals
    Is safe, non-toxic and non-sensitizing

EMT Gel can be used for the safe management of wounds caused by:

Barbed wire cuts
    Hot spots
    Scratches and abrasions
    Gunshot wounds (hunting accidents)
    Clipping nicks
    Heat injuries
    Injured pads
    Surgical incisions and more

EMT Gel is an essential part of any first aid kit.

EMT Gel is easy to handle and conforms to any wound site.

Available in 1 oz. tubes
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    The August 2006 issue of WDJ has an article called Accelerated Wound Healing. It's a great article if you want to purchase the back issue.

Other products mentioned that you can apply to wounds mentioned in the article:
    Pav Salve: http://natrhealth.com/ (tree resins that can be used for wound healing...not cheap)
    Willard Water: http://www.willardswater.com/

The article also mentions some supplements that you can give your dogs to speed up healing, and herbal aromatherapy and such.

Also I would think of EMT Gel as much more than a Neosporin since it can help stop bleeding rapidly.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I agree that it's much more than Neosporin, but Neo is such a standard in my human first aid kit - that's what I reference it as (in my mind).
    CSC_0144
  • Anyone mind if I make this an article thread? I think it would be cool to have an article on how to build a good pet first aid kit.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I think it's a good idea.
    CSC_0144
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Good idea Dave!

Rina - You are right, the ruffwear first aid kits are not very impressive. We just purchased one to see, and since we have it we keep it around... tho we have added/replaced stuff in it.

I would spend any $ on it.

----
  • zoiegirlzoiegirl
    off the top of my head Benadryl and baby aspirin, doggie antibotics, bandages, water, hydrogen peroxide... and make a list of dosages from youyr vet
    Post edited by zoiegirl at 2008-05-27 15:18:36
  • HarlowHarlow
    Along with all the usual items, I always have several rolls of vet wrap. It's stretchy and sticks to itself and is essential for keeping gauze pads etc in place. It can be wrapped around injuries that are hard to bandage and can be cover a large area.

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000283.php
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I have vet wrap in my human first aid kit, also - it's great for knees and ankles.
    CSC_0144
  • okironokiron
    Oh yeah we have Neosporin here too, one with pain killers for the humans, one without for the animals.
  • okironokiron
    Be Red Cross Ready Safety Series Vol. 2: Dog First Aid <-- Does anyone have or read this book? Is it worth purchasing?<br />
    http://www.redcrossstore.org/Shopper/Product.aspx?UniqueItemId=95
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    bump!
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Gonna re-bump this, and include a good article on the topic. There have been a lot of first time dog owners joining the forum recently, as well as many with new rescues/possible mill dogs. But honestly, I think even the most seasoned dog owner can use a refresher in first aid.

We were sent home from Kobe's breeder with a basic first aid kit, and a manual, but after reviewing this thread, I can see that we are lacking in some pretty basic necessities. I really encourage everyone to take inventory of your own first aid kits, and for those who might not even have the basics, get on it!

http://www.isfoundation.com/node/924

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Here is a free download. "Guide to Animal Emergencies" from Ruffwear.

http://ruffwear.com/site/pdf/Ruff_Wear_Guide_to_Animal_Emergencies.pdf?ck=GC9A5IO-AYRSfzqa&vid=GC9A5IO-AbhSf2nY&cktime=114307&gc=clear

I guess its time for me to put a kit together.
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2013-05-30 22:56:49
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Nice guide INU RYUU! Gonna find a way to print it off and it's going in my kit!
    Thx for posting!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • I would add tweezers. My dog got a piece of glass in his foot one time - that one was pretty easy to get out but after I had to pull out a blackberry thorn I started carrying them.
  • Bump!

There is some good info in here.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira

This is the First Aid kit that I bring with me wherever I take Kira - hiking, car trips, etc.

The supplies are as follows:

Gauze pads, Neosporin, Cortisone cream, Hand Sanitizer Spray, Cold pack, Emergency Blanket, Gauze wrap, Band-Aids, Thermometer, Spare Leash, Disposable Tweezers, Nail Clippers, Alcohol Prep Pads, Scissors, Hemostats, Sterile Combine Pad, Latex Gloves, Q-Tips, Disposable Dog Bowl. and a First Aid Instruction Guide.

The pack is quite big, my boyfriend is ordering me a new Maxpedition one that holds everything but is hopefully half the size.

My boyfriend made Kira's leashes out of para cord so if anything happens and we need rope, we can use that!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2014-02-27 19:31:53
  • JuniJuni
    I took a first aid for dogs class some years back and the lady who taught us said it is important to put cotton wool between the toes before you wrap the paw in bandage. Don't remember the reason now, chafing maybe? And the bandage that stays on best is elastic.
    She showed everything on her pit bull and he looked so funny. With the paw in bandage he seemed to feel sorry for himself. But that was nothing because then it was time to show how to take the temperature properly. Oh he was miserable...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)