For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Licking obsession
  • CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    Riku likes to lick everything all the time and doesn't stop.

I don't think it's cause anything is there either. He will like the carpet, the wood floor, the kitchen tile, my feet (lol) my arms my face, daisy, the sheets lol I'm sure you get the point. It doesn't really bother me (except when he licks my feet) but is there a root cause or reason for this? As long as its not a bad thing I guess it doesn't matter as long as he's not getting hair/dust etc from the carpet. Which he doesn't lick those often. If the mood hits to lick things most of the time it's a person. Even started licking the mail carriers legs the first time he met her. ( I made sure there was no lotion on her legs to make sure he would be ok afterwords).
  • SayaSaya
    I've seen pics of people's shiba where they like to lick other dog's ears, mouth even.. D:

Saya doesn't lick obsessively. She'll lick and sometimes clean herself every so often and does fleaing thing. fleaing as in chewing they do when they have an itch, using just their front teeth..

Saya will do that to toys, fleece blankets and Bella sometimes or herself.

Saya is into feet, and ears.

She'll sometimes lick my arm as I pet or massage her I see that more as affection and it's not as obsessive as feet licking.

With feet thing I just stopped her.

Ear thing with Bella she knows leave it command so I told her to leave it or would call Bella and she would come over so no Bella near Saya to lick..

Bella didn't like the ear licking so most all times Saya tried licking Bella walked away or shook her head.

Saya is my first shiba experience so not sure much on this.

I do see it posted on FB so maybe it's common thing with the breed.

Maybe interrupt or distract him?

Saya never licks floor so not sure on that..

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • amtiamti
    I just read a post on fb about someone else's dog who licked everything all the time. According to the post, some people said the following regarding excessive licking:
    Something could be missing from the dog's diet, a sign of anxiety/stress, give the dog something else to lick (kong with frozen treat), and canine compulsive disorder.
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    Hoshi goes through licking phases also. Sometimes it is because there is lotion or sweat and other times just because he is happy or stressed out. He has quite a long tongue and he usually licks hands, arms, feet and legs or what ever he can get his tongue on, even our face, neck or ear. Yes, the ear is the worst!
  • My own dog does this and for him it's redirected mouthing. He's not allowed to put his teeth on things, so it's been refocused into licking, which does not get him into trouble. He's a super mouthy dog (he uses his mouth for everything), so I guess it makes sense that he licks obsessively. He only does it to people, not objects, though.
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    On another note, when Hoshi is licking his feet and legs he also gets the surrounding area wet, such as the bed or the couch.
  • CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    @saya yes he had even tried to kick daisy mouth while I found odd. I stop him because I do not want daisy to get mad.

Licking carpets and such has almost stopped so that's good.

@notoriousscrat it might be redirecting due to being mouthy. He used to be mouthy and I would eeeehhhh ehhh him to stop.

So brand new development. Maybe he thinks he is cleaning me. I'm in bed and he is laying at my feet cleaning himself and then starts licking my feet too haha.
  • NalasPapaNalasPapa
    Yeah, Nala does the licking thing every morning when she wakes up and decides that I need to be awake, too. She'll start licking my neck, then my face, then my ear, then my armpit (yeah, yeah...I know) and then will just start licking the sheets and the pillow to the point that there's a wet spot. As soon as I get out of bed and put on some sweats to walk her, she stops. Every once in a while she does the fleaing thing or licks the carpet, but that's super rare. Thank goodness!
  • tatonkatatonka
    Tatonka does the unstoppable licking right when he wakes up too but he doesn't lick me, just the blanket under him.

When I look at the spot it looks like he peed on it, but no, just 20 mins of licking.

At some point he snaps out of it and just rolls back over and snoozes (it takes him at least an hour to wake up).

Edit: video

Monkey!
    Post edited by tatonka at 2013-06-29 08:37:10
  • Cooper_Cooper_
    Cooper licks a ton and we couldn't figure out why he was doing it. He is well nourished and he mostly does it at night or early in the morning when we first wake up. We finally figured out it had to be redirected mouthing. He was an awful biter when he was younger and he definitely knows better so instead he licks our hands, feet, legs, and he for some reason LOVES to lick my eyes. I'm not too fond of that haha. But mostly he licks the sheets and has us thinking he peed on the bed
  • CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    I agree with you @tatonka and @cooper.

Riku also licks the sheets and I got all concerned first time and was like OMG YOU PEED ON THE BED!! ( Not to the dog but in my head. But I smelled it and I was like phew, you just went crazy licking your paws haha. Ok go

• zandramezandrame
    If we've just washed our hands at a sink, Kouda thinks it's his duty to properly re-wash them himself.

He's also loves to lick skin -- feet and toes, hands, legs, arms, the inside of my elbow, etc. He will often do a walk-by foot lick, sometimes even with socks on.

When he was really little and laying in my lap, sometimes he would slowly lick my jeans until the knee had a giant wet spot. :|

One trainer told us his dog developed a licking habit out of anxiety, and recommended we keep an eye on it. But since we did encourage "kisses" to redirect his mouthiness, we don't mind so much!
  • KikkiKikki
    @zandrame, I hear you. Although she's not a Shiba, our Belly is a licking monster and has been since we got her at the age of 1. Sje loves licking skin. If I don't remove my hand she will hold it in her paws (like a rawhide or bone) and just lick and lick until my hand is nicely glazed. Yuck! Wet skin is her favorite, when I come out of the shower she runs towards me and have a few quick licks of my legs before I tell her to stop. She licks Trip when they get out of the shower (well, these days they lick each other because Belly taught him those manners). She also licks her paws and "wash" her face like rabbits do. To think of it, she kind of has a Shiba personality. She does the Shiba 500 every other day. She has always done it, I just didn't know there was a name for it until I joined this forum lol
    photo 09add2ab-be4c-4b53-98a7-1a6bc4311b43_zps71ebc933.jpg
  • DrySeDrySe
    Speaking of licking.

Enjoy!

Post edited by DrySe at 2013-07-02 18:56:19
  • DrySeDrySe
    @tatonka, It took me a pretty long time before I figured out why the spots where they lay were always damp but didn't smell like pee................. I thought I was losing my mind for the first couple weeks before I realized what was going on. Tsuki's Kuranda Slip Cover is perma dark where he is always licking it.
  • JuniJuni
    I never realized it was a shiba trait! Juni licks the bed sheets too and when I say Juni no or ah ah ah she looks up and has this really guilty look on her face.
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    Juni - Kuma and Hoshi do the bed sheet licking and nibbling and react the same way when you tell them to stop.

DrySe - Hoshi will lick Kuma when he is chewing on a bone.
  • DrySeDrySe
    I wonder if it is there way of making the bed :P.
  • tatonkatatonka
    I wonder if it's how they clean their tongue, using the texture on the bedsheets..
    Monkey!
  • knnwangknnwang
    No. It's just been useing my harry cafs as a toung brush?
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Kobe likes to lick our arms, legs, and faces. I think it's in part giving affection, and also may be because he likes the salty taste. He doesn't really lick carpet or furniture, unless something was spilled there. I do know Shibas are very clean, so don't know if some licking is due to just maintaining a clean environment.

Excessive licking may be due to OCD. Lack of stimulation, boredom. Not saying anybody here fits this catagory, just something to watch for.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • JuniJuni
    Juni doesn't lick us much, if she does it is almost only in the mornings. When she usually does the sheet licking too. And that normally starts by her licking herselves, her legs or belly and oooops she is on the sheets instead. Mornings are for cleaning I guess.
    It is not hard to stop her usually, I tell her no or pull up the blanket and hide the wet spot.
  • ArcticArctic
    Yup, just like all the other pups, Sansa loves licking the sheets/blanket underneath her until there's a wet spot.
  • Hiiro seriously goes on licking sprees, he is like a maniac lol
  • I know this is an old post but my 8 month old shiba has recently picked up this habit and I want to know why? Late at night and early in the morning he has always been what we call "licky" and it never really bothered us. Now it has turned into licking himself through the night, constantly trying to lick us and licking things like the couch or even the air! If we push him away or scold him, it doesn't do a thing he is obsessed and will chase after you just to do it. We have recently moved so I am wondering if it is the stress of moving or maybe that he used to live with other dogs so now he is bored being the only one? We wake up in the middle of the night to him licking himself and we think he isn't getting much sleep at night because he has been sleeping a lot during the day recently.... wondering if it's a compulsive behavior or something to worry about?
  • doguedogue
    My dog is obsessed with licking at his left paw..
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    My Quakey wants to obsessively lick my legs after I put on body lotion in the morning. I do not allow it to go on very much because although I use lotions with natural ingredients, it's still probably not a good idea for him to lick the lotion. He actually chases me around the room trying to get at my legs and feet. I have to distract him by playing a fetch game with him using his favorite toys. LOL!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)