For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
My Shiba just had ACL Surgery/Luxating Patella Surgery , a couple of questions about poop?
  • lunestislunestis
    Hi Everyone!

My shiba baby, Ayato (4 years old) just had ACL and Luxating Patella surgery on his right knee on Thursday and he finally just pooped for the first time since the surgery yesterday morning. As a norm, Ayato does not like to poop near his house and the vet said he can only go for a walk 5 mins to do his business. The problem is he wants to walk a ways ( a block 1/2 away aprox) to poop even on three legs and we are concerned he's going to hurt himself. He just wont poop infront of the house.

What should we do and how did you guys who have had this surgery handle this situation?

Thanks!!
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Hipe he heals quickly. Could you carry him to his poop stop?

Both my Shiba use the Ruffwear webmaster harness which has a handle so it can be used to carry them.
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2013-06-26 10:53:18
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    I have never dealt with any kind of surgery in my doggies (except getting fixed) but the only things I could think to suggest are as INU RYUU mentioned, carrying him, having some sort of stroller or wagon to pull him in or simply load him up in the car and drive done a block or so and let him do his business. Hope the recovery goes well!
  • lunestislunestis
    INU RYUU said:

Hipe he heals quickly. Could you carry him to his poop stop?

Both my Shiba use the Ruffwear webmaster harness which has a handle so it can be used to carry them.

I really wish I could carry him! He's a abnormally huge shiba, he's almost 60 pounds (slightly overweight) and tall. He's not as small as most shibas are. So carrying him is not really an option for long periods of time. :(
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Surgery can constipate. You can wait him out, or give him some canned pumpkin for extra fiber.

60 lbs regardless of height is not slightly overweight for a Shiba, it's morbidly obese, (unless he has some larger breed in him). He stands an almost 100% chance of rupturing the other cruciate unless he can drop some serious pounds.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-06-26 12:58:56
  • lunestislunestis
    He is not morbidly obese as he is about 20 inches tall and about 23 inches maybe less with his head. He has pooped, it's just the question of taking him to poop as he does not poop near or in front of the house.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    He will poop eventually when he has to. I went through the surgery and I had to take my girl out each time she needed to go, and wait her out. It was like she was a puppy--out for five minutes, then in, then out again, etc. If you have a very small run/outdoor kennel then she could be out there, but also only for five minutes.

The surgery recovery is long and tedious, but there is so much risk of problems if you don't follow the vet's guidelines, so you'll just have to be patient with taking the dog out a lot for short period of times. He will eventually poop.

If your dog really is that tall and that heavy, yes, he is morbidly obese. My male Shiba is 18 inches at his shoulder, and he is 50 pounds, and he is seriously obese as well. But he is TEN POUNDS lighter than your dog. The weight makes the problems with the knees so much worse, especially in recovery, so you do need to get the weight off. In most dogs it's simply a matter of feeding less, unless the dog has some other health issues. (Mine does--that's why though we work and work at his weight, I can't get it down, though also, in my case, I have a problem of my husband overfeeding if I'm not monitoring it.)

It wil help him a lot if you can get the weight off him. If you feed him kibble, a good kibble is Wellness core reduced fat (that's what we're trying now). If you feed him raw, try for fish and vegies (we've had some success with that, though my boy was pretty hungry).
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I think if your dog already has issues and had to have surgery you are best to take @shibamistress's advice and take some weight off. While he may not be morbidly obese in your opinion he is still at an unhealthy obesity and should be closer to probably 50lbs (or about 15% reduction in current weight). I judge this based on my mixed boy who stands about 20 inches or more at the whithers and is only 48 lbs and a healthy weight.

There also has been good advice on how to avoid the long walk ... wagon, car or like @shibamistress suggests just keep giving him opportunity near home and eventually he is going to need to go.
    Post edited by redcattoo at 2013-06-26 13:44:56
  • lunestislunestis
    We feed him an assortment of Blue Buffalo, Orijen, or home-made dog foods currently, and his portions are probably around half of what the recommended servings are. The past few years have seen him get some severe allergies with bleeding hotspots, which seems to have been a combination between his old prescription diet and his summer flea treatments. He's now mostly grain free and we've gone back to Frontline from Advantix-II.

The vets don't think the ACL tear is due to the weight. They feel he could afford to lose some weight, but that it isn't a huge issue due to his size. We think it happened one night when he was peeing and his foot slipped in the rain and his leg fell into a little hole in the grass; this was really the only time other than his allergies that he actually limped, so it seems to be a reasonable cause. He already had some luxation from when he was a puppy, so the swelling from the ACL tear aggravated it. The plan, however, is to use the next 8 weeks to cut back on his portions even more and get him to the 50-55 lb mark.

Getting back to the actual topic: he's pooping, but refuses to do it in the 90 feet away from the door. Being as big and strong as he is, and with his usual willfullness/stubbornness and discriminating poop preferences returning, we're worried about him overexerting himself or making himself sick by trying to hold it in until he gets his way. It kills us to see him this frustrated/confused by the pain and sudden drop in activity, and the meds only dope him up so much to help him sleep it off.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    lindsayt said:

YOU CAN WAIT HIM OUT.

"Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-06-26 15:22:56
  • sunyatasunyata
    @lunestis - I hate to say this, but please read the comments that others have posted. They are not posting just to see their names pop up on the forum. There have been several suggestions as to what to do about his picky poop habits.

As for the weight issue, I suggest that you seriously talk to your vet about it. I know that many vets are (for lack of a better word) gun shy about talking to pet owners about weight. It is a touchy subject for a lot of people and many people get seriously offended by it. When my older Shiba was more than slightly overweight, my vet never approached the subject with me until I brought it up. And she was close to 8 pounds overweight. Her issue was a combination of hypothyroidism, over eating, and less activity than normal due to an injury on my end. Moral of the story, just because your vet has only mentioned it in passing does not mean that your pup is not obese and need some sort of intervention.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (7)