For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Dogs as glorified stuffed animals
  • tatonkatatonka
    I think that on this forum there are more than a few threads about breeders, nutrition, health.. a whole mess of things that require patience and study. All of tne recommendations that are given are typically very anti-instant gratification.

I get it, of course, but in the real world I would have to say most people don't get it. I have friends buying dogs in parking lots, without health certificates, sometimes with two breeds being crossed that sounds like a science experiment gone wrong, off petfinder, Craigslist, the works. Same goes for vet visits. Dogs without vaccinations for years, or ever, Same for food. Stuff they can get at Walmart, fries, chili cheese fries, anything the little guys can get in their mouth.

And honestly, there's no deterrent. What are the chances that these Frankenstein dogs have health problems? I haven't seen any major ones. No vaccinations? Maybe there will be a serious issue, but I've never encountered any. And all of this contributes to the sense that maybe there's just way too much anal concern over this stuff. "You're doing too much research online." "Just relax!" "Haha whatever."

You know, if there's a way to spread education on these topics, I'm missing it. And the sense I get it is people, including my own friends, don't really care. Statistically they can probably get away with a healthy dog from a puppy mill whom they never take to a vet.
    Monkey!
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    Are you asking a specific question? Are you saying it's all not that bad and why bother? Venting?

I agree lots of people don't really care deep down...and it's almost too terrible to think about for me...I wish we could do for buying mill/byb dogs what we did for smoking - make it something that people think is gross and if you do it you know it's wrong...(from an ex-smoker:)

I don't know why they don't have no mill/byb campaigns - they play those sarah Mclaughlin dog commercials constantly, why not educate widely.

• lindsaytlindsayt
    Most anti puppy mill campaigns invariably become anti breeder campaigns whenever it goes mainstream.

That's fortunate that the dogs you (OP) have encountered and heard about from friends/relatives have been healthy overall even when neglected. Dogs have an amazing ability to adapt and survive even when given no or poor care. They seem content and live in the moment, even when they are in horrible pain. The sad thing for me, is how low most people's expectations and standards for their dogs, are.

You would probably see a more complete picture if you volunteered at a shelter or worked for a small animal Vet. Lots and lots of good examples of dogs being sick from neglect/poor breeding, just as frequently as good examples of healthy dogs being "ok" when given bare minimum level care, or outright neglected.

What you describe is anecdotal experience, and someone else's experience may be completely different. And yes, it is discouraging how many pet owners are content with the bare minimum, and education is always an uphill battle.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Yeah, and it's so not my experience. My experience is that puppy mill dogs or byb breeder dogs are really unhealthy. There's the tens of thousands of dollars I've spent on my puppy mill girl. There's my best friend's mom's poodle, byb, who had severe LP in both back legs by 2 years of age, and now has another serious health problem (internal hemorraging). There's my mother's mixed breed dog she bought for $100 from an ad in the paper, who has such a badly aligned jaw they're going to have to pull a number of teeth (and this dog is a year old).

And let's see: bad diet? How about dogs you can smell from six feet away because they're fed a terrible walmart diet? Or the ones that have loose stools all the time from it? Or have a terrible hair coat, and constant itching?

No vaccinations? What about the rescue Akita that died of distemper from no vaccinations? The dogs that die of parvo? The little husky mix I saw making circles in the vet's yard...that's all it could do because of the brain damage from distemper (they were putting the dog down.)

So I have to say I'm not terribly impressed by the idea that there are no consequences or no health problems from the lowest common denominator on breeding/food/health care. There are plenty of health problems for those that are paying attention.

statistically they probably WON"T get a healthy mill dog that will never go to the vet. They're more likely to get an unsocialized unhealthy dog who will lull them into a sense of calm because the first two years or so may (or may not) be fine, and then it's going to be a mess.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2013-06-24 01:14:15
  • amtiamti
    I agree with all the above. The thing is unless you are out there researching, you do what you grew up knowing. People are generally lazy beings and don't want to do more than they need to. I think we do a little more because we are passionate about our little dogs.

Before I ever had my first dog, my best friend's family got one and I was so jealous. They kept her tied up outside on a chain. While she was a puppy, they played with her. Then she was pretty much just there for three years with no walks that I can remember, but always wanting to play with the kids. I got my first dog a few years later (this is the Shiba that adopted us bc he was a stray and started hanging around with me, jogging with me every night), and my mom made me promise I would take care of him and pay for his vet bills, keep him outdoors, walk him, etc... Well, as luck would have it, his first vet visit told us he was heartworm positive so we had big bills that I couldn't pay and he had to be kept indoors and kept from moving around too much. He grew on us so much during the few weeks he was on heartworm poison that he became an indoor dog. It is amazing how much you can teach a dog that is indoors, and how attached you become. I feel really sorry for kids, like my friend, who never get to experience the joy that comes from keeping a dog indoors. When my friend moved back to the states, her family put the dog up for adoption at the base pound. I don't know if her dog ever got adopted out... the dog couldn't do basic commands other than sit and jumped on everyone so no one would play with her. But yet, this dog was always happy to see her family and loved them.

Some people just don't get it... they don't understand how wonderful a dog can be and how much love dogs can give. They don't understand that a dog needs proper care, just like us humans. They don't get that dogs aren't disposable, but have feelings and are capable of great love and great forgiveness. Dogs are awesome.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)