For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Independent Pet Food Nutrition Study
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    I was browsing Dog Star Daily today and I came across an interesting article regarding a study on dog food. I have placed the link for the article as well as a website that has links at the bottom of the page for the study itself. I looked up my brand of food (Wellness Core Original) and I was surprised that it didn't rank higher given the reviews I have seen on Dog Food Advisor. Now I'm not an expert on these things by any mean,s but I do try to do my homework. I thought this might be an interesting study for us to discuss on the forum. This study was written by a grad student studying for Veterinary school and uses a modified version Goldstein's Wellness and Longevity program (which I know nothing about).

http://www.ziwipeak.com/a-winning-formula-in-independent-pet-food-research/

http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/dr-ian-dunbar/pet-food-and-canine-nutrition-best-brands
  • LoreliLoreli
    I would like to see the rest of their ranking. I feed my dogs and cats Blue Buffalo and have never heard a bad thing about the food except maybe the price compared to the supermarket brands. I'm willing to accept that when they are getting the stuff in it they are supposed to be.

What does everyone else feed?
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    There are two links at the bottom of the ziwipeak page. One just explains the methodology and the other has all the rankings. Thats how I saw where my brand ranked. Blue Buffalo is also included along with 250 plus other brands.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
  • HaloHalo
    I feed Halo blue buffalo but only the grain free ones. I would go with a better one, but can't afford it right now. I would like to switch her to a even better quality of food in the future.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-05-29 21:51:39
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2013-05-29 22:18:04
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-05-29 22:51:49
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    I found the lack of real credentials unusual as well. I would think Dog Star Daily would only cite well researched material, but who knows. I was surprised how low Wellness Core scored as well. I am curious to see what others think of this research. Has anyone heard of the Goldstein Wellness and Longevity program before?
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • SayaSaya
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • SayaSaya
  • RikkaRikka
  • catloreecatloree
  • CaliaCalia
  • CaliaCalia
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • It claims feeding lettuce to cats is ok? This seems like a terrible metric.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-05-30 19:10:23
  • orangedoggieorangedoggie
    Hmm... Why is Karma in the top ten? Is it because it has "organic" in the name? It's super carb heavy (61%!) with a TON of grain. For some reason they rated whole grain and grain free equally. Ziwi Peak is great food, but I don't agree with their methodology. A dog food like Karma should never make a top 10 list.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)