For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Independent Pet Food Nutrition Study
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    I was browsing Dog Star Daily today and I came across an interesting article regarding a study on dog food. I have placed the link for the article as well as a website that has links at the bottom of the page for the study itself. I looked up my brand of food (Wellness Core Original) and I was surprised that it didn't rank higher given the reviews I have seen on Dog Food Advisor. Now I'm not an expert on these things by any mean,s but I do try to do my homework. I thought this might be an interesting study for us to discuss on the forum. This study was written by a grad student studying for Veterinary school and uses a modified version Goldstein's Wellness and Longevity program (which I know nothing about).

http://www.ziwipeak.com/a-winning-formula-in-independent-pet-food-research/

http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/dr-ian-dunbar/pet-food-and-canine-nutrition-best-brands
  • LoreliLoreli
    I would like to see the rest of their ranking. I feed my dogs and cats Blue Buffalo and have never heard a bad thing about the food except maybe the price compared to the supermarket brands. I'm willing to accept that when they are getting the stuff in it they are supposed to be.

What does everyone else feed?
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    There are two links at the bottom of the ziwipeak page. One just explains the methodology and the other has all the rankings. Thats how I saw where my brand ranked. Blue Buffalo is also included along with 250 plus other brands.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    I am not surprised by the results. Ziwipeak is the only commercial food that I give to my dogs (one of the main reasons is that it is the one they will eat). Other than that they eat human grade food that I prepare.

犬竜
  • HaloHalo
    I feed Halo blue buffalo but only the grain free ones. I would go with a better one, but can't afford it right now. I would like to switch her to a even better quality of food in the future.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I'm surprised that Hills scored higher than Wellness and Fromm.

I give Honest Kitchen and Acana/Orijen, and Darwins raw as my rotation. I fed Ziwi Peak and Solid Gold Hundnflocken for a long time. I do raw part time, but still really like Ziwi Peak and feed it when I can.

When I do canned meat, I give Evangers and Merricks.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-05-29 21:51:39
  • SayaSaya
    I can understand Ziwi Peak Saya thinks the stuff is yummy as treats. I need buy some for training treats I like to switch it up haven't had it in while. I might not as I plan to get a dehydrator so that will make a lot of treats.

I seen Artisan’s Grandma Lucy’s food not sure how it is, but looks pretty good kinda reminds me of honest kitchen sorta except more chunks of stuff. I might eventually try a small bag to feed as kibble topper for Bella and small snack for Saya.

It's interesting wouldn't mind seeing exact scores of each brand besides ziwipeak not just the number score.

Ah well.

Even if your choice of food has lower score doesn't make it bad. If your dog does well on it feed it. As long as ingredients are good and your dog does well on it. Reviews are nice especially when searching for kibble to get, but it's not end all for what to feed.

I never fed blue buffalo before the food seems good though.

I gotten a coupon for nature's variety so I plan to get a small bag to try.

I agree odd hills scored higher.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by Saya at 2013-05-29 22:18:04
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I agree too that Ziwipeak is good stuff, but the top three brands, in my opinion, are all a bit overpriced. I find Grandma Artisan recipes, for example, to be too potato-laden, and they don't rehydrate as well as Honest Kitchen -- you end up getting more for your dollar with THK.

And agreed that I find it weird that Fromm scores lower than Hill's... I haven't gone through to score the recipes myself though.

I'm also weirded out that they don't name where this so-called "independent researcher" received his MBA, nor where he is intending to apply for vet school (if that part of his biography is even real -- I'm suspicious of most "research" unless it's verified). The e-mail doesn't track back to anything substantial, and the Facebook site listed has barely any activity.

Honestly, I smell a social media plant... with the MBA degree outweighing the DVM.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-05-29 22:51:49
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    I found the lack of real credentials unusual as well. I would think Dog Star Daily would only cite well researched material, but who knows. I was surprised how low Wellness Core scored as well. I am curious to see what others think of this research. Has anyone heard of the Goldstein Wellness and Longevity program before?
  • curlytailscurlytails
    It's based on an actual book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Goldsteins-Wellness-Longevity-Program/dp/0793805457

I haven't read it.

Maybe someone should call the phone number listed with the study. =)
  • In with @saya. I've given ziwi peak as treats and as a kibble topper back when we weren't doing full raw. It's an awesome company with an amazing product. I love how the meat is air dried. It is very expensive, even more so than Orijen or raw.

When I fed commercial I fed:
    Orijen
    Merrick
    Halo
    Fromm
    Taste of the Wild
    Nature's Variety
    Artemis
    Candidae
    Evangers
    Weruva
    Newman's Own
    Solid Gold
    Natural Balance
    Earthborn
  • SayaSaya
    Ah then I'll not even buy Grandma's lucy food. I like that the honest kitchen rehydrate pretty well. no need to let it sit over night.

I've fed wellness core, wellness core ocean, fromm grain and grain free kibble, Totw.

Saya was on chicken soup for puppy's lover soul for a bit as her breeder fed that. She did fine with that and wellness puppy.. Bella had issue with wellness puppy, but could been due to over feeding as I found out dad gave her too much of it.

I'd like to see more of why such and such kibble got the score.

Doesn't really matter. I check ingredients myself and go off how my dog does with it and how good I feel the company is.
    Photobucket
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Hmm, let me clarify... I found Grandma Lucy's Artisan to rehydrate VERY quickly, like powdered mashed potatoes. And it smells great too -- to me. But that's because I looove my mashed potatoes, but the Bows don't really need so much potato. It ends up seeming not very meaty, for dog food. I think the Pureformance stuff is a little better, using chickpeas instead of potatoes, also grain-free. But still $$...

THK stuff bulks up more in comparison after rehydrating, so you need less of it to create more food. At least that's what I've found.
  • SayaSaya
    Ah ok.

I recently gotten the honest kitchen zeal thanks to the $10 off coupon Saya and Bella loves it.

I have the love formula for Bella as kibble topper. I reduce amount of kibble depending the amount of THK added.

She goes nuts over it.
    Photobucket
  • RikkaRikka
    Hmm, interesting. I will admit it's a bit pleasing to see Nature's Variety so high up on the list, mostly because I've been using that brand since day one. I've never had any issues with it and Sagan loves it. *shrug*
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • catloreecatloree
    I've recently started using ZiwiPeak & I really like it. The lamb smells amazing! We were doing Grandma Lucy's (Pureformance line) & the honest kitchen before that & both of my guys just stopped eating it so we were throwing a lot away. Elwood gets his ZiwiPeak mixed in with some Acana to reduce cost, but now he's started to pick the ZiwiPeak out of the kibble so I may end up switching him over completely.
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • CaliaCalia
    A snippet from the back of the Goldstein's book:

With expert insights, clear recommendations, and support from the Goldsteins at every step, animal caretakers will discover:

-The immune-boosting powers of the right nutrition—and what’s wrong with most
    commercial dog and cat food. Learn how to rate any pet food on the strength of
    its proteins (beware of “by-products”), fats, additives, and more. Then, learn an
    amazing, easy way to enhance it—with nutritional supplements and wholesome
    “people” food (yes, even finicky cats will chow down on salad, hold the dressing)

-The role of animals’ emotions on their physical health and behavior—and the toll
    of a human companion’s stress. Get to the root of a pet’s sudden aggressiveness.
    Find simple ways to ease a latchkey pooch’s sad-eyed loneliness. Take
    inspiration from an animal’s capacity for unconditional love and forgiveness.

-Proven holistic treatments for everything from fleas to diabetes. Learn how diet,
    exercise, herbal remedies, homeopathic measures, and a simple blood test can
    spare cats and dogs from the side effects of potent drugs—and be spared
    expensive veterinary bills.

-The most up-to-date methods for preventing and managing dreaded diseases,
    including cancer. Understand the dangers of over-vaccination. Protect pets
    against infectious tick-borne illnesses. Recognize the early warning signs of heart
    disease. Learn tricks to keep an aging dog active and mentally alert.

-The healing powers of alternative therapies for dogs and cats. Find basic recipes
    and specific guidelines for using flower essences. Master the arts of soothing
    music and massage. Explore the possibilities of veterinary acupuncture.

http://www.healingcenterforanimals.com/pdf/wellness&longevityprogram.pdf
  • CaliaCalia
    Does anyone else find it funny that Ol'Roy scored higher than some of the "popular" Purina kibble? That stuff is practically 90% corn and produced by walmart
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Correction: corn AND plastic
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • It claims feeding lettuce to cats is ok? This seems like a terrible metric.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Yeah....Ol'Roy, was surprised it scored at all. It did remind me of Christmas Vacation, when cousin Eddie was loading that shopping cart full of all that crap dog food for Snots!!! Lol
    At least it was good for a laugh!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Well, curiosity got the better of me. I called the phone number associated with the study.

I got an automated response: The person you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time. No voice signature, no option to leave a message or anything.

Like I said, I smell a rat. Good food or no, ZiwiPeak just looks silly to me for proudly posting this unverifiable "research" just because it happens to cast them in a favorable light.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-05-30 19:10:23
  • orangedoggieorangedoggie
    Hmm... Why is Karma in the top ten? Is it because it has "organic" in the name? It's super carb heavy (61%!) with a TON of grain. For some reason they rated whole grain and grain free equally. Ziwi Peak is great food, but I don't agree with their methodology. A dog food like Karma should never make a top 10 list.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)