For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Help! Crazy New Yorkers doing crazy things to my puppy.
  • devonmlewisdevonmlewis
    This thread has really made me cognizent of how many people approach and pet my dog without asking! Also, I have been walking Yuki on a specific trail, because it gets a lot of sun (which we lack here) and most dogs are leashed (and in our community usually dogs are not).

There's a park that we have to walk on the out skirts of, which is great, because I want him to be comfortable being near chidlren. It SHOCKED me how parents will let their kids run up to my dog, attmept to manhandle him, and put their FACE in his face! What in the land? I immediately have to direct the child, and then we go back to square one (giving the child a kibble to feed to him open hand) and pet him gently. It's not so much the children, but the parent's lack of direction that is the most surprising.
  • A parent recently got mad at me because my akita pup barked at his kid who was wearing a mask, who charged her, yelling. She was scared, obviously, so I got in between the kid and dog and asked him not to come closer.

And the kid, who was old enough not to behave this way (probably 6 or so) threw a fit, and the parents glared at me and said something about "mean" dogs. Whatever.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    It baffles me what goes on in people's heads, sometimes.
  • SayaSaya
    Poor Zora. :( parent need to actually parent.. Teach your kid to take mask off then ask to pet dog not act like an animal.

Not every kid has same impulses and some mature later, but parent should protect their kid if they can't behave by a dog then don't let him/her near one.

Dog's don't just bite out of no where if it does it might be due to medical issue like brain tumor or something.

There is signs and dog will only take so much teasing. :\
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • I live right across the Hudson near Weehawken. Banjo is learning to be calm around children, as that is the only way I will let him interact with them. A little kid was running around off leash (yes, I am using that term because if I have to keep my sort of well behaved dog on a leash, crazy children should have to be leashed!) and kept running RIGHT at banjo. The mom was shouting "(boy's name) STOP, COME, etc" (I felt like she was channeling me when I am trying to get Banjo). He ran right up to Banjo and stuck his head RIGHT in Banjo's face with a BIG smile. Banjo is going through a fear stage right now and I was mortified about what would happen next.

Somehow, some way, Banjo sat down and let the kid pet him... then jumped up to give him kisses. The kid got scared and ran back to his mom who then had the gall to say to me "you should train your dog not to jump on kids". I told her she should train her kid on lots of things, not the least of which is coming up to complete strangers. She was about to snap back at me, took a deep breath and said "you know, you're right. That was my fault. I am lucky your puppy wasn't scared. Is it okay if "boys name" and him play?" I told her it would have to be another day as he and I have to be somewhere. The kid actually said "Sorry Mr. next time I'll ask first. Is it okay if I give him one of thew cookies we feed our dog? (turns out his dog is one of Banjo's friends)". I said yes and with an open palm he gave banjo a treat after making him sit.

Just so you know, its not JUST crazy new yorkers. a lot of them live on my side of the river too.

• galupnorthgalupnorth
    I would not let just anyone near enough to pet my dog without being suspicious of them. Any real dog lover should KNOW enough to ask you prior to just approaching your dog in the first place. It is just the way to deal with a dog you do not know.

For my part, to help socialize and keep my dogs social, I usually ask people who have dogs with them. Is your dog friendly? Would you mind if we came up and met him/her? Normally, that is a good thing for dog owners. We love our pets and want them to have that social interaction. I don't live in a big city though, so I do not have to deal with walking my dog on busy streets with people all around who might suddenly come up and startle either me or the dog with their behavior.

Best of luck to you. I would be protective of my dog when in proximity of those strangers who can't take no for an answer and tell them to back off or they might well get bit and it wouldn't be by the dog.
  • FuyutsukiFuyutsuki
    We recently got a Julius K9 harness, and tagged it with "Do Not Pet Me" on the side. It has....sort of...helped. People have still been aggressive with our and Fuyu's space. Just the other day yesterday I had someone follow me for a few blocks yelling at me about not being allowed to pet him, and then when we stopped in to get coffee someone who looked like they had just been working with steel their hands were so nasty just shoved his hands into Fuyu's mouth. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!

I actually wish that Fuyu was a little colder towards people but he sends them the signs that he wants the attention and to be pet, so there's only so much balance we can manage.
  • SayaSaya
    That's good Fuyu is friendly. :)

Your shiba is still young right? Pups tend to be extra social and get bit more aloof with age, but some can always be friendly.

Saya is super friendly she is only aloof to certain people who act off.. She hates baby talk unless she knows the person. Certain people she isn't into and she acts aloof and ignores them. she lets them pet her, but she doesn't give any yodels back or act excited.

Kids she is nuts about kids she'll go to kids over adults if kids are around.

It's the curse of owning a shiba as they're cute and unique breed even as adults people are so in awe over them.. omg is that a husky puppy?! Saya is five and people still think she is a puppy.

Sometimes it can be a hassle especially if in hurry. If I really need to go I tell the people I gotta go and keep walking to get to destination.

Crazy about that person who was working with steel. :\

I do wish people would ask before petting it's polite. I've been lucky a lot of kids ask before and parent's have stopped kids to tell them to ask. Sometimes I'd get a few kids or adults who don't, but luckily Saya loves people so I don't mind. I love how friendly she is in public.
    Photobucket
  • FuyutsukiFuyutsuki
    Yeah, he's only about 10 mo. now. I'm sure he'll calm down with time, and I've been hoping that visits to the dog park will help. He's definitely getting better, only doing the harness and leash polka when he sees a dog he really wants to meet.
  • oneluckymugoneluckymug
    Being pretty introverted, I have honed the skills necessary over the past decades to keep this comfort zone. It just comes naturally now, and no matter how cute my dogs, nobody ever stops me or pets my dogs. It's almost like they can read "BACK OFF CHUMP" written across my head. I wish I could share this art with y'all, but it takes practice.

I do have one pushy overzealous monster that I still can't slay. It's the elderly grandma-great grandma who stops me whenever I take my little girls out to tell me how cute they are. I just figure that they are so blind they can't see the visual cues. I just can't avoid them.
  • poltergeistpoltergeist
    Now that I started walking Endo, I am being approached by a lotta curious people! I actually don't mind this, mainly cos many people ask first, and they've never seen a dog like this. I did have one moment where a mom and toddler were excited and before I could say, "Careful, he's still mouthy" they sorta went straight in. Luckily, Endo was sweet and didn't bite! Phew!
    He is a bit frightened of kids but mainly because they're all on scooters and skateboards. Something to work on. Otherwise, he is generally okay with people coming up and petting him.
  • For the New Yorkers, when did you start walking your puppies and where? My pup Whiskey is 12 weeks and got his 3rd vaccination few days ago from now. I was told by my vet to keep him indoors until he gets his final shot which is in a month. Many dog owners I spoke with during puppy playtimes, however, were informed by their vets it was okay after 3rd vaccination and the urgency of socializing to people - my vet didn't put any emphasis on socialization but on his health.

Whiskey is already getting expose to many dogs as possible with the free puppy playtimes I found throughout the city. However, I am worry about him regarding socialization with people. I feel he hasn't met enough people and feel walking him out would help with that.

I live in the Bronx and I am skeptical about the environment carrying parvo or any contagious illness. So any places you recommend walking a puppy with less risk of catching something? If I have to go to Far Rockaway or Jamaica, then I'll do it if it's safer there.
  • I'm sure it's worse in New York, but Idaho is starting to really piss me off.

So, lots of people see me out walking Ripley. And she's incredibly, incredibly excited whenever she sees a person. It literally looks like she's going to burst. She just starts shrieking and wriggling and lunging and barking and wants to greet every human being, every dog, every cat at all times. It's annoying, but better than nervous I suppose. What really irritates me is how people don't even acknowledge my existence. They just come right up to her and try to pet/feed/pick her up, refuse to listen to anything I say, and yell at me when I drag her off/pick her up like I'm some kind of maniac.

Fine. Street people are crazy. Whatever.

Except it doesn't stop there. Oh my jebus, I will be in my HOUSE, and complete strangers around the neighborhood who have seen her at a glance knock on my door demanding to see my dog. When I tell them "Excuse me? I do NOT have time for this," they get angry, saying that my dog WANTS to see them (because she's clearly freaking out in the background trying to get to them). Sorry--she's a four month old puppy, she has no say. Granted, this has only happened with two different people, but that is at least three too many.

What IS this? I don't remember this ever happening with any other Shiba I've owned. Do I just live in the rudest, most selfish, entitled area ever? I really need to move. Maybe to a desert island.
  • FuyutsukiFuyutsuki
    Knocking on your door is INSANE. Whenever try and tell me that dogs love them I always respond "great, you should definitely get your own then"
  • NASANASA
    If you want to socialize you can do it with other dogs you know. Maybe a at home play date and let em meet people and dogs. The fear of outside is coming into contact with a non vaccinated viral pup/poop. At least that's what I was told. Which his why it's ok for pups to start pup class at 8 weeks now. In fact it's highly recommended

"In general, puppies can start puppy socialization classes as early as 7 to 8 weeks of age. Puppies should receive a minimum of one set of vac­cines at least 7 days prior to the first class and a first deworming. They should be kept up-to-date on vaccines throughout the class."

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/socializing-your-puppy
    Post edited by NASA at 2014-06-17 21:31:30
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    From a WDJ article:

"Myth #1: “Puppies should not go to puppy classes/the mall/friends’ houses until they have had all their vaccinations at 16 weeks/6 months of age.” (Fails all three tests.)

This one lands squarely at the top of the “dangerous myth” category. It’s generally perceived as credible by new puppy owners because it’s often offered by the pup’s veterinarian.

While it appears scientifically sound on its face (an unvaccinated puppy is at risk for contracting deadly diseases!), puppies who aren’t properly socialized are at a much greater risk for developing behavior problems, including aggression, that are likely to shorten their lives."

While I don't normally go against a vets advice, on this one, I tend to favor the risk. In this case, if you follow the vets advice, you've missed the critical socialization period by a mile.

Just use your best judgement while taking your pup out to socialize. As long as there isn't a Parvovirus epidemic in your area, you should be fine.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • Most people, surprisingly, leave Pebbles (the shiba) alone and don't try to approach her, although we do have a lot of people asking what kind of dog she is, since most have never seen a B&T (small midwest town). More often than not, I have people rushing my GSD/Husky/Hybrid. He is terrified of most people and was abused as a puppy. It was getting so frustrating, I actually bought a collar from the company Friendly Dog Collars - it's bright yellow and says nervous on it - and when he's wearing it, people ask about him, but no one approaches him! He wears it to the pet stores as well, and most people seem to understand that I'm trying to socialize him and help him get over his terror of people. It's been fantastic because now I don't have as much stress when I'm out walking. I do have some small children on my street that ask if they can pet him, but their parents have, thankfully, trained them well to know that not every dog likes people and to ask if they can pet the dog.
  • Kobe1468 said:

From a WDJ article:

"Myth #1: “Puppies should not go to puppy classes/the mall/friends’ houses until they have had all their vaccinations at 16 weeks/6 months of age.” (Fails all three tests.)

This one lands squarely at the top of the “dangerous myth” category. It’s generally perceived as credible by new puppy owners because it’s often offered by the pup’s veterinarian.

While it appears scientifically sound on its face (an unvaccinated puppy is at risk for contracting deadly diseases!), puppies who aren’t properly socialized are at a much greater risk for developing behavior problems, including aggression, that are likely to shorten their lives."

While I don't normally go against a vets advice, on this one, I tend to favor the risk. In this case, if you follow the vets advice, you've missed the critical socialization period by a mile.

Just use your best judgement while taking your pup out to socialize. As long as there isn't a Parvovirus epidemic in your area, you should be fine.

My vet told me it is completely okay for puppies to play with any other dogs as long as the other dogs are vaccinated! (:
  • koyukikoyuki
    I cannot believe some of the craziness that you guys living in these cities have to put up with! Living in a small town in Australia is great- mostly because people think at each one of our Shibas is a Dingo so they are a bit hesitant to rush up. Most kids will ask, and ill tell them to pat from underneath not from over their head etc. I dont mind kids wanting to pet them- its such a good opportunity for the dogs to be socialized and i try to take the time to tell the kids about the dogs body language etc. I do have the occasional weirdo coming up to me, if they were in anyway coming up aggressive or suspicious though they wouldnt want to pet my dogs- they would be able to see that my dogs wont put up with any of that bullsh*t.
    I will say no sometimes though- if one of my dogs isnt comfortable and is dropping their tail etc.
    I like when people come up to pet the Japanese Akita pup- they probably get freaked out when i say " do you mind checking her teeth while you pat her". Is working welll for us- shes a very confident girl with the judges in the ring!
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I would also add that it's wise to be cautious about letting your dog or puppy drink from community water bowls. Giardia can be spread that way as well.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Kira_Kira said:

I would also add that it's wise to be cautious about letting your dog or puppy drink from community water bowls. Giardia can be spread that way as well.

One of my coworkers almost lost her little Pappillon that way. She got horribly sick after drinking from a community waterbowl. They spent weeks trying to get her better. I live in a very dog friendly area, and I always get weird looks from waitstaff on the patios, "no she can't drink from that. We brought our own." I've learned to expect the eyerolls.

----

Speaking about crazy kids... We take Nymeria to puppy class and a puppy social every week, because Nymeria loves playing and it's good for her socialization. But there is this one family that always comes with this absurdly badly behaved Bernadoodle... but it's indicative of the discipline in that household because their kids are just as badly behaved (6 & 8 years old). And it might just be indicative of how the kids have interacted with the bernadoodle at home to cause him to be so aggressive, but... Anyway.

We get to class a bit early so that Nym can play with one of the other puppies that she loves a Miniature Australian Shepherd, and these two little brats (Sorry, not sorry - they are brats) with the bernadoodle show up, and they always run up to Nym screaming... I've used the following phrases to them, "please stop putting your fingers in her mouth," "please stop thumping her on the head," "do NOT pet her with your chewing gum/lollipop/cheetos in hand," "Stop grabbing her paws," "she's growling because she doesn't like that," "she's very mouthy, please don't grab her nose," etc... Their parents are right there, more interested in their phones than they are their children mauling my puppy, as I desperately try to stop their advances without drop-kicking them into next week. I am very vocal about my displeasure.

Nym has no more patience for them. I have had to physically put my body in between them and Nym several times, because she's aggressively barking her head off, and she's not a barker (on a normal day she barks maybe 3x). Normally, I walk away, but they have started to run after us like it's a fun game. So I've started to pick Nym up and hold her in my arms when I see them coming, but now the little bratty girl whines, because I wont let her play with my dog!??!?! The mom said last time, "just let her play with it," while Nymeria is staring down at the girl, growling... Um... okay.

So here's my question... I never come in contact with these little heathens anywhere else except at puppy class and puppy social. However the trainer normally doesn't see this, because it's happening before class, when we're outside waiting for it to start.

Do I say something to the trainer?

The parents clearly don't care, because I've tried to talk to them, and they don't comprehend a dog showing aggression to them, because their kids are little angels (All I'm saying is satan technically was an angel too). My dog's and my behavior are what is causing the problem, according to them. But there is another kid at class, who is SO gentle with Nym, and always asks before petting, and Nym loves giving him all the puppy kisses.

I'm not going to class to have my dog shoved and pulled on by these heathen kids... I have nice, well-behaved kids that I've been introducing Nym to, and I dont want her to react to one of them after having horrible interactions with the two brats... Because all of my husband's friends have kids - so having Nym like and behave well around kids is ober important to us.

Thoughts?

[edited because it's a bernadoodle, not a bernadooble]
    Post edited by lauratherose at 2014-09-16 10:37:20
  • Tell the trainer. Print out "how to behave around dogs for kids" worksheets and hand them to the parents.

I would call the trainer TODAY and explain the situation. If the trainer won't remedy the problem IMMEDIATELY, I would write terrible yelp/google reviews, demand a refund, and dispute the charge on my credit card. This is the training facility's responsibility, not yours.

Option B, find out where they live and slash their tires so they can't get to puppy class.

Post edited by BanjoTheBetaDog at 2014-09-16 10:49:27
  • @lauratherose - I would talk to the trainer, and switch to a different class if you have to do so. If they are not listening when you politely ask, the odds of them listening to the trainer are low.

FYI - some dogs bounce back, and some do not. I learned this lesson the hard way when I had a puppy that was incredibly tolerant and loving with children, to one that is distinctly unhappy when children (even well behaved ones) approach her now. All it took was a few too many aggressive children where I did not intervene quickly enough. None of these kids ever harmed her, nor were their intentions malicious, but because I was not firm enough when asking them to stop, our girl now thinks that kids won't listen to her signs that she is uncomfortable and that she has to protect herself (rather than letting me do so). For the record they would just try to touch or follow her around after I asked them not to because she seemed scared, but that was enough to have a lasting negative effect.

My girl was heavily socialized, including with children (and 98% were incredibly well behaved kids) and she now has no tolerance whatsoever. It is one of the things that I regret most. Truth be told, my partner has not hesitated to make children cry (via tone of voice - no yelling or bad language occurs) when he thinks that they are being disrespectful and scaring the dogs. I can't help but think that if he had been present in the instances where she and I had run-ins with persistent kids, I would still have a dog that loved children.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @lauratherose - I would immediately stop those kids cold before they can harass your pup. If the parents will not do anything about it, then YOU need to do something about it.

When they run, scream "STOP" at them. Tell them that your dog does not like children and that they need ask the owner's permission before (calmly) approaching any dog that is not theirs. If they throw a temper tantrum, just walk away. If the parents say something, tell the parents they need to either control their children and teach them the proper way to interact with dogs or leave them at home.

I would also talk to the trainer about banning the kids from class if they behave this way during the class or are disruptive to the dogs while they should be learning or playing with each other. But since this is happening before class, the trainer may not be able to do anything about it.

If all else fails, stop coming to class early or switch to a different time slot for class (if available).
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • I don't care how crazy I look, I will scream at any child and kick any dog (or cat) that attempts to hurt my dog. I have yelled at 2 dogs and had to hiss at a cat coming aggressively towards Kira so lord knows what I would do to a child that acted that way.

imageimage

• Thanks everyone, that's what I was really wondering - if I should get the trainer involved. I've thoroughly poured over the forum and have read a few posts about dogs turning fearful of children. @violet_in_seville thank you for sharing your story. It's truly so hard to tell, which interaction is going to set her over the edge at such a young age, and that's what we'd like to prevent. Hubs' friends all have children, and we'd like to have them over knowing that we and they could trust Nym not to react.

Luckily and with fingers crossed we only have two more puppy kindergarten classes left and since they don't always come to the one we go to, I'm hoping they wont be at the next one. I seriously doubt they'll come to the next level up, because that one involves actual training versus voluntary attention and lessons on how to walk on a leash...

@sunyata I am very vocal. I was raised to have a healthy fear and love of animals, so at first I did try the, 'here's how you do this politely' thing with them, which of course they ignored. But I do like the screaming "STOP" at them... haven't tried that... last week, I had a particularly bad day at work before class, and I landed on the forceful, quiet whisper of, "touch my dog again, and I'll give you something to cry about." Not my most shining of moments, but the girl did walk away.

@BanjoTheBetaDog If all else fails, I'll go with option B. ;)
  • sunyatasunyata
    @lauratherose - I have made an adult cry over trying to touch my fearful Shiba. Do not mess with my dogs. If I tell you she is not okay with random people trying to touch her, if you do not back off, I will put you in your place.

Do not be afraid to be harsh with people. Most people are dumb and selfish. If they want something they will go for it, no matter the consequences. So be vocal and tell them how things are. I often will tell people that my dog may not bite, but I do... That normally gets the point across. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Try to avoid the feral children; stop showing up early to class. It just isn't worth the risk.

You can trade numbers with the mini Australian Shepard owner and meet them somewhere else to play before class. Alternately tire your pup out with a long walk or play session before class, show up for class right on time, and schedule play time with the Shepard a different day.

And telling the trainer is a great idea.
    Post edited by RustyAngel at 2014-09-18 14:52:52
  • Great recommendation @RustyAngel - I would definitely agree on that. I'm not much of a kid person so that would be ideal for me and my dog if I were in that situation.
    imageimage

• Problem solved... I wasn't the only owner that complained about the bernadoodle's family. They're not allowed to return to the facility.
  • RooneyRooney
    @SnowCrash11: "They just come right up to her and try to pet/feed/pick her up, refuse to listen to anything I say" YES! Exactly. People do not listen.

Rooney was hit by the breeder I got him from, so he's afraid of people's hands coming at him, even if it's not fast. This is a problem because a lot of people DO NOT listen to me when they want to meet him. Humans have all been trained that the proper way to meet a dog is to put your hand out for them to smell and if they seem okay, then to move your hand toward them and start petting. I try to explain that this doesn't work with him and that he likes pets, but to do it my way and of course most of them don't. Unfortunately, when the hand starts moving toward him and he can see it, then he flinches and will sometimes move to hide behind me or at least out of touch range.

It's kind of embarrassing, but I also see it as their own faults for not listening. At least he's not scared of people in general though because he always wants to meet ALL the people he sees. He pulls toward them or will freeze as close to them as possible and can not be persuaded to continue his walk until they're at least 50 feet away.
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • @Rooney might not be fix all, but I had seen that someone had mentioned the friendly dog collars in another thread or maybe it was this one... I can't remember - if you haven't seen them, they're a color coded collar that have words on them. We got a TRAINING one for Nymeria for when we eat at outdoor cafes and go on training walks with her. They have other ones that say CAUTION or NERVOUS. Might be worth looking into.
  • RooneyRooney
    @lauratherose Yes, I've heard of them, but Rooney is also scared of collars and regular leashes. He has a harness and retractable leash instead. I would have to fight him to take the collar on and off, whereas he is very good at putting his harness on. I don't want to jeopardize that.

I have an idea that I'm going to try. When I want him to come over so I can pet him, I wiggle my fingers. I've been incorporating it during some of his stubborn "No, I want to go this way instead" moments (when that fails...treats), but it also might work if I ask people to wiggle their fingers as they move their hand toward him so that he learns he's getting pets from others with that gesture too. I can try it out with some more familiar people at the dog park to see if it works. I'll keep everyone posted if it does. :)
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I had a conversation with the most ignorant and close-minded person EVER today.

I took Kira with me to the Celtic Festival & Highland Games in Richmond, Virginia today. As always, Kira always gets noticed and I tell people what kind of dog she is, etc.

A woman (younger probably late 20's/early 30's) asked the usual questions and her response was that she also had 2.

She then asked where I got her and that I should get a DNA test done for her. I asked her why and she said "Because vanilla Shiba inus don't exist"

I told her that CREAM Shibas do exist but because they are considered a fault as a show dog, they are more rare. She absolutely refused to consider that she was wrong and it actually became an argument. She even had the nerve to say that she knew that they did not exist because she lived in Japan.

WTF is wrong with these people that have no idea what they are talking about??? I was furious, there was a member of the Nihon Ken forum with me that was shocked as well. (:|
    imageimage

• Lol wat. But there are so many Japanese people who have instagrams of their cream ones~ Not to mention if you just look at the hastag "#白柴 " you'll find a ton of creams in Japan.

Some foreigners that have lived in Japan say strange things to me whenever they come into the Japanese restaurants I'm working at. One time, a lady got upset at me because we didn't take yen (we're in SoCal...)Don't take it personally.
  • JuniJuni
    A lot of people ask me too about Juni because cream Shibas are very rare in Sweden. When I explain they usually say "oh yeah, because normally they are more yellow, right?".... Yellow? Seriously?
  • RikkaRikka
    It's okay, I've had a guy argue with me that not only Sagan was NOT a Shiba, but actually a Klee Kai instead. A completely different breed--not even just the wrong color. Sigh.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • SayaSaya
    Saya was mistaken for klee kai too. lol I seen pics of kee kai and shiba inu don't look like them. they have similar features, but that is where it ends..

Sorry you had deal with that Kira's owner. :( Some people are just rude.

I've been lucky people who mistake Saya for husky or malamute puppy usually go oh I thought shiba only came in red and cream color or they thought they were only red coloring, but didn't argue or anything.
    Photobucket
  • It really makes me question from whom she got her 2 shiba inus from. I don't know about y'all but as soon as I decided that I wanted a shiba, I tried to do all the research I possibly could including fur coloring... Sounds like someone who doesn't really know her breed very well. Doesn't help that she was obnoxious to boot. Sorry you had to deal with that @Kira_Kira!

@RikkaUgh, people are so rude. I had someone argue with me that Nymeria couldn't possibly be a shiba, but was instead a mutt... "like a uh, rotty mixed with a uh, husky or something, maybe some uh, german shepherd thrown in - gonna get pretty big, I'd say." 8-|

This might sound silly, but after having to consistently explain what Nym is, I feel an instant kinship to people who know what a Shiba Inu is and even more so when they know Nymeria is a B&T Shiba. I just want to hug them.
  • RikkaRikka
    @lauratherose - Indeed! It's lovely hearing someone guess your dog's breed correctly the first time, lol. I don't mind explaining what Sagan is if people are genuinely interested in hearing about it, but I generally ignore people who try to argue with me about it or still absorbed in their "no way, not a Shiba" bubble.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • first world problems ?
  • tysaaantysaaan
    A few people have picked Jibo up to carry him, and every single time I have CRINGED. Jibo is very jitterish and he once jumped out of my arms, hitting his head. After that incident I am always sure to hold him very carefully. The problem is that when someone picks him up I am not present or they do it so quickly I don't have time to react. I was letting him out when my neighbor comes running down yelling "where's my baby where's my baby where's my baby" in the middle of the night and scoops him up and starts rough-housing with him. Totally interrupts him trying to eliminate, the process of him leash-training, and him being trained to be gentle around humans. She didn't even ask either. UGH.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    People like that are the reason why most dogs don't like strangers.

Be your dog's advocate and don't EVER let anyone pick up your dog! You should never be in a situation where you can't control what people do to him, it's just not safe. People are crazy and could purposefully harm him.

There is nothing wrong with being a complete bitch or asshole when it comes to your dog, I've done it and I'm sure many of the members have too. It keeps the crazies away.
    imageimage

• I took a leaf out of @Kira_Kira's bitch-book and I had to pull the bitch card with my in-laws. It was tough because they're family, so I imagine I'd have no problem doing it with strangers, lol. Don't be afraid to be stern with others/strangers, because if you're not going to do it, nobody will, and that's how accidents happen.
  • jarvizjarviz
    I have a question regarding meeting new people on the streets. 90% of the time, my shiba is okay with meeting and greeting new people and letting them pet her. The other 10%, she'll be very on guard and will even bark at the person. It's obvious that she doesn't feel comfortable around them but I'm wondering why.

I know the most obvious thing is don't get into staring contests with a dog, and people should never pet a new dog overhead. Are there more subtle things they could be doing wrong that't setting my shiba off? Is it the big heavy winter coats? The scarves? grocery bags? the way the stand? etc? Anybody else notice a pattern with their dog?
    Post edited by jarviz at 2015-03-14 07:41:59
  • SushiShibaSushiShiba
    Dogs are so much more perceptive than we are, so it's very possible that he's seeing something (or hearing, or smelling) that we aren't. So maybe he noticed something that was new, or maybe it even smelled funny, and he got cautious.

That being said, Sushi tried one time to have it out with an inflatable Santa on someone's yard... so... could be anything! Or he hates Christmas.
  • I'm by Wall St and we've had pretty good experience with people. There are a lot of dogs down here.
  • JuniJuni
    You know, I just think it can be what mood the dog is in that day.
    And if there's been some stressful things happening (can also be positive stress, like getting a bit too excited playing) they usually react more to anything out of the ordinary but if they are relaxed they will put up with more weirdness.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    My little boy Quake is very perceptive. He is very friendly towards almost every human and loves meeting new people. There have been a couple of times when he has barked and growled at a person coming towards us. Both times the man has decided to cross the street and head in another direction. Also, both times I also thought the guy was a bit creepy and was glad he went away. After the guy has passed on, I have said to my little boy "Thank you my Quakey for always protecting Mum".
  • I'm resurrecting this thread because I too have problems with people trying to pet Tanaka without asking, and those that their dog run up on him. Also the "special" people that don't follow park rules and county law, and let their dogs off leash. Not great when they're in a site on the main walkway that we have to walk past to get off the dock. I'm very fortunate that Tanaka has tolerated me picking him up and carrying him as long as he has, but he's heading towards five months now, and I don't expect it to last.
    We have our boat at a small 24 boat marina that is also an RV resort for 56 RVs. We're right on the coast of the Florida Panhandle and in an area that's a favorite for snowbirds and tourists. Since Christmas, the park has been packed, and I think every RV has at least one dog, and many have multiples. The majority of owners use retractable leashes and just let their dogs have the full length without paying attention to what the dogs are doing while the owners socialize. It's tough because we're a lot of people and pets in a relatively small area. Thank goodness Tanaka is really happy to be socialable, but having so many people and dogs around almost all of the time make it really difficult to teach him proper behavior while on a lead.
    I've taught him to sit quiet and let other dogs, people, and vehicles go past, and I get the people that come up on him without asking, talking "puppy talk" to him, and it's all over. Next thing I know he's jumping on them. The only thing I've been able to do is to bend over at the same time and hold him to sitting with the leash while telling him he's a good dog for not jumping. I had one woman tell me that I just need to bop him on the nose and he'll quit, then ask to hold him. Uh no!!! i can only image if he would get squirmy and not be the angel that he looks like he is.
    I've had people with black dogs come up to him at night when it's really dark with no moon wanting to let their dogs nose up to him when we can barely even see them or their dogs. I've been backing up telling them no, not at night, while they keep on coming. I had one creepy guy keep coming up to us while telling me how he's such a great trainer that that his dog doesn't need to be on a leash. He kept getting into our personal space and really made me feel that he would unhook Tanaka's leash just to prove that He could train my pup to go off leash. He creeped my out so bad that I finally just started picking Tanaka up and going the opposite way when I saw him. It's tough because many of these people are here for several months, and so I see them daily. I try not to be rude, but my pup's well being has to come first.
    We do take him over to the boardwalk on the beach and to a big park downtown where he only has a few chance encounters with other dogs, and we get to work on his leash training and relax and have fun. We can't let him off leash, but I have a 16ft training leash so that he can explore, run a little, and we can work on recall too.
    I'm just nervous about spring coming with more young people and kids, and how to go about letting Tanaka be sociable without having problems. He hasn't seen a lot of kids, but he's really liked the ones that he has seen. Some of the kids that have been regulars the last several summers like to run and scream, and just rush towards pets, so what will be the best way to handle that. Besides asking them not to and trying to to avoid the situation.
    Thanks for letting me vent, and for whatever suggestions you have for us.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)