For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Do you ever lurk other dog breed forums?
  • DabishDabish
    I do, just to see if I get a feel for people who are attracted the other breeds, and the breeds themselves.
    So far I've lurked Weimeriner's, Bernese Mountain Dog's, Husky, and Pug

....that's not creepy is it? Lol, I feel like I'm going through all the high school clique lunch tables and observing or something.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Don't think it's creepy if you are learning from what other breed owners are talking about. I often go on a Siberian Husky forum, and normally, they are talking about the same issues that are being discussed here. Maybe from a little different perspective, so it's a great learning experience.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I do Basenji forums as well, for obvious reasons, and used to be more active in a Taiwan dog owner forum.

Each place has its own group of experts, resources, and distinctive atmosphere. I prefer places where I "know" my fellow forum members, so I can't keep up with too many at once.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • I do to some Doberman ones. It's the breed Evan and I agreed would be our next dog. We couldn't get one for a while, it's just not in our finances right now. But I like knowing what I'm getting into!
  • I hope it's okay to bump this thread. Does anyone know of any active Samoyed forums? The breed is on our list for possible-future-dog-someday-when-we-have-money. Pretty different from Shibes, from what I can tell haha! But a forum would be great help for me to figure out who the good breeders are, as well as hear from actual owners.

There was a forum called Worldwide Samoyed Smiles or something, but I don't think they're active, or the admins are very busy. I've been waiting for a month for an administrator to approve my account so I can access the forum SIGH.
  • amtiamti
    I don't know of a Samoyed forum, but used to own one about 14 years ago, and for 11 years. She was a beautiful, sweet dog and just as independent minded as a shiba.

I don't read any other dog forums, mainly because I'm not interested in any other breed now.
    Post edited by amti at 2013-11-01 00:51:05
  • BootzBootz
    @Nattles I believe a fellow member currently has a Shiba + Samoyed....don't remember the name though :( sorry
  • RikkaRikka
    Yes!

Aside from the Nihon Ken forums, I also lurk a Siberian Husky and Malamute forums.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • jennjenn
    @bootz I think you're thinking of @deerpark, she has a shiba and a samoyed (and she posts way cute photos on ig!)
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • deerparkdeerpark
    @Jenn @Boots @Nattles Thanks for the heads-up and the kind words! Honestly this Shiba forum has been the most progressive of all the breed forums I have participated in, in terms or knowledge, upkeep, responsiveness and user friendliness. I am part of an active Samoyed forum but it's specific to the Samoyed Kennel my Samoyed is from called SFX Kennel on Yahoo groups. I will gladly pass you the information of our Sammy's breeder if you like, she might know other responsible and passionate breeders near you. I also know a rocking Great Dane forum if anyone needs that :)
  • kalicokalico
    I do Doberman forums since I have 2 dobes and do dobie rescue. Haven't been to any other forums though, since I typically only get to that point when I'm ready to own one, haha. I consider it part of my research. if I go there before then, I may get tempted :)
  • tatonkatatonka
    Domesticated fox discussions :P
    Monkey!
  • Well, yes, but it's just the Nihon Ken forum! :) All NKs so I don't have a reason to be on any other forums.
  • BootzBootz
    tatonka said:

Domesticated fox discussions :P

Lol! When you getting the little fellow??!??
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Bootz, decided against since I already have a fox of my own!
    Monkey!
  • I've read through a few with the thought of getting the breed before finding out a Shiba was what we wanted. Years ago I joined a Labrador forum, and Dalmatian forum a little after that. Then my situation unexpectedly changed and couldn't accomodate a dog so I stopped thinking about it for a while as it made me sad that I was years away from a doggie!

Then when I was ready again, I lurked a retired greyhound forum, then a deerhound forum (hubby still wants a deerhound one day!) then finally joined this Shiba forum, and now have a little Shiba on the way! It's been a bit of a journey through many breeds to get here, but that's the point of all the research isn't it? I'm glad these places exist, the information from actual owners is completely different from generic breed info on the wider internet.
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    I own a German Shepherd Dog and a Dalmatian. I belong to a forum for both breeds. I also belong to a Doberman forum and this forum and I have never had either breed. :)
    Lauren

Sinister ~ 5.5 yr old black male GSD 3.11.09
    Draven ~ 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.20.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)