For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
dog leash, what is the best?
  • I've been thinking in my personal experience with dogs, my akita his entire life used this tipe of dog leash:

Here in Brazil it's called 'enforcador' that means ahogar in english I think. But he used by recomendation of the vet cause this leash would't destroy his hair.
    Thinking that he used this all the time, and I never get problems with that.
    But I saw the pictures of this forum and I didn't see any pictures of your dogs in this leash.
    Only in leather leashs, or pectoral leashs.

So, should I use different types of leash when Kiba is home and when we go out?

[changed category ~mod.]
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-05-18 17:30:27
  • knnwangknnwang
    I would not start a puppy with that. When he is fully developed and know not to pull, maybe. martingale collars work well for me.
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    There are many threads discussing harnesses vs collars and preferences between collars. Here is a start but you can also just type in collar in the search bar. http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/11213#Item_14

I personally would not use the collar you have chosen because if the dog gets excited and jerks or runs suddenly it can pinch the skin and fur or could damage the trachea. I prefer a martingale because it gives them room and is more comfortable but they still aren't able to get out of it. I also like harnesses and I know a lot of people on here use the webmaster harness.

Long story short, I recommend a harness or a martingale.
  • Thanks for the names of the collars! I didn't know the names of those in english! Thank you thank you thank you! Im going to search those you said!
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    I take it you want to know about leashes AND collars?

There is a new harness out that works well when training loose leash walking it is called a freedom no pull harness. http://wiggleswagswhiskers.com/

It works fairely well and can be put into multiple configurations depending on the needs of the dog and where they are in the training process. One can use a martingale collar along with the harness so it reduces super tricky Shibas from twisting out of the harness. (note most Shibas can twist out of any regular harness if they choose to btw).

Once the dog is consistently walking better the configuration can be changed up as you train.

Review and photo has been placed on hibikitree.com also.

Snf

Post edited by StaticNfuzz at 2013-05-20 10:26:21