For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Uh oh. Have I been too active with Mika? Help!
  • My puppy is just over three months old. She really doesn't like walking in our neighbourhood. I figured it's because of the concrete sidewalk and not much to sniff at other than my neighbours' lawns (which she can't walk on), so instead I go to different trails around town. We walk through lots of different forests or on the beach, either at the ocean or river.

I am a first time dog owner, and feel very foolish because as I was reading different posts on here, I read that you're not supposed to over exersize a puppy younger than a year old due to joint issues??

Help! What are the limitations? I am really active and go for hikes/walks/runs usually twice a day. Mika is usually really hyper when we get home, even after a long walk in the woods.. I feel terrible now though, like I may have jeopardized her health and development!?!?!? She also runs around like crazy in our back yard off her leash.. is this bad as well???
  • redcattooredcattoo
    The concern usually relates to joints and growth plate development. It is a concern more related to running on hard surfaces and jumping heights higher than elbow height. I think if you do trails in moderation with stops and water rests you shouldn't worry. Pups need excercise and too many owners over worry and their pups don't get enough socialization and exposure to lots of new things in their early develoent.
  • DrySeDrySe
    I took my pups out on all sorts of trails/forests on dirt/stone/concrete when they were 8 weeks 2-3 times a day everyday. Their first mountain hike at 3 months old, every weekend over the summer. One is 1 year and 2 months old, the other is 7 months old and they are fine. It shouldn't be a problem unless you are running continuous long distances. Puppies like to sprint around :).
  • DebDeb
    I think some of the limitations while she is growing would be trying to get her to repeatedly jump regular jump height in an agility course, taking her along jogging on hard surfaces or for a long way or forcing her to go further on walks if she is tired and sitting down.

I've not ever heard of a typical "Shiba 500" (what you described as "running around like crazy" in the back yard off leash) causing developmental damage to a pup, sometimes to people, though:)

But, the great thing about this forum is you will have lots of comments related to experiences posted for your info! All you ever have to do is ask.
  • Oh thank god!
    I love taking her for her morning hike, so I am relieved to hear that I'm not the only one who does so. She meets new dogs every day, and I don't do anything overly difficult. The hike today had some uphill parts, but she seemed to really enjoy them. And the only distance shes jumping is out of the crate in the car, onto the ground.

Thanks for the replies! :D
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    No jumping (as in over jumps. No running on hard surfaces or taking the dog for runs, especially long runs. Think about it like this: they are infants and toddlers--would you take a toddler on a five mile run? Probably not.

The damage doesn't always show up right away. My vet said she warned a client with a golden about not running his dog until the growth plates closed, and the guy ignored her. At two the dog was showing serious joint problems, and they put the dog down at 5. This was serious running though--long runs everyday. The guy was a distance runner.

Walks are fine. Short bursts of puppy running are fine. If you do agility with a puppy, it shouldn't go over jumps other than the lowest level, and shouldn't do the weave poles until the growth plates close.
  • What age growth played usually in place by? Hiiro is always jumping and running up and down the stairs all day... :-(
    The growth plates are in place in Shibas by a year, maybe earlier. (Someone else may be able to answer that more specifically than me, but I think that's about right). So if Hiiro is really going up and down the stairs many many times in a day, you might want to limit that a bit. If it's just normal going up and down in the course of a day (because you are, or whatever) it's probably fine, but if he really is using the stairs as a play area and running up and down a lot, I'd limit it.
  • He has been bolting up and down the stairs for months... I told my fiancé I didn't want him too and put stuff up to block him but she kept on moving them saying he was fine. He also loves to run around and jump on and off the couch and bed every time he does his Shiba 500.
    I think most of the puppy running is fine, but maybe just not too much up and down the stairs. Other people will know better than me--I learned some of this from agility work--ie. what was ok with puppies and not.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)