For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
reintro
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-05-07 09:11:08
  • DrySeDrySe
    JA = Japanese Akita? Congratulations! I tried searching for them before and couldn't find a breeder in my area :P. If it is possible maybe you could take Nanook to meet Miyaki when/if you go see her before taking her home. When I brought Plue (second shiba) home the first time Tsuki (first shiba) didn't have any problems with him at all. I knew it wouldn't be an issue though because Tsuki does really well with puppies, especially really young ones.

Edit: Actually I do have some advise. Make sure there are no toys/food in the area you will be doing introductions in so there is no chance for any aggression.
    Post edited by DrySe at 2013-05-06 19:06:28
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    Hello. This has been discussed in various threads. I found this one that pretty much covers it. http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/826#Item_15

I don't think it would be best to introduce them in your house. It should be a neutral territory and the crate may cause some barrier issues. Some dogs react differently to a dog behind a fence or that can't be reached and that could cause them to get off on the wrong paw. Also the one in the crate might feel trapped and get defensive however separation by crate or baby gate might be needed in the beginning while everyone adjusts.
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
    Post edited by Alyssa L. at 2013-05-06 19:10:15
  • DrySeDrySe
    Aww too bad they cannot meet before hand. I would do the dog park (find one that is not busy). Have them meet there for a little bit, don't force an interaction, just let Nanook discover her himself. Then you get a fun ride back home and depending on how the park went you could have Miyaki outside her crate for a bit before crating her for the night.

I should elaborate a little bit on the meeting. Tsuki met Plue and the rest of Plue's litter multiple times before we even decided Plue was the one. We would meet the breeder at various locations once the puppies were old enough to go outside. Plue was brought to our place at 4 weeks when the breeder came to visit to our place to see if there would be any issues. We didn't actually get Plue until he was about 8 weeks old. I didn't crate Tsuki or Plue, we just all slept together at night and I woke up every 2 hours to take Plue out. O the love of raising a puppy......
    Post edited by DrySe at 2013-05-06 19:48:24
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
  • amtiamti
    Congratulations on your upcoming new addition! I had both of my kids take one dog each and meet me down the street from where we live when we got our rescue. They didn't follow instructions well and walked across the street so we did the introduction on the neighbor's driveway instead. That worked out well because Kaji had never been there before, although he has seen it numerous times. After they adjusted, we brought them indoors and kept the rescue (Taisho) confined to the kitchen area where it is tiled. Kaji opted to stay there with him the first night, so he kept him company.

Your story about the name got me laughing a few times. We had a hard time deciding on a name for Taisho and Kaji for the same sort of reasons.
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.
  • BootzBootz
    omg where is the picture of the JA Brindle?!?!?!? *jealous* XD
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • Alyssa L.Alyssa L.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)