For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What age do you give your shibas jerkie/bully sticks?
  • kagurarapkagurarap
    Tali is now 8 months and I've nicknamed her chomp chomp because she's been wanting to chew everything and if you don' watch, she's got the jaw strength to chew THROUGH things. So I'd like to perhaps start buying treats that will keep her so busy and chewing so long that she won't have the strength to want to chew things like my slippers? But is it okay to buy things like jerkies at her age? Any recommendations for treats that will keep her jaw busy but won't make her choke or be dangerous? I've also heard of bully sticks - what the heck is a bully stick?

Thanks in advance everyone! :D
  • DrySeDrySe
    A Bully stick is a bull's "stick" if you catch my drift.

I have been giving my two boys beef knee bones and bully sticks since they where 8 weeks old. When you give it to Tali for the first time just monitor her and make sure she chews it properly :).
  • redcattooredcattoo
    A bully stick is the dried male part of a bull. My boys who are not aggressive chewers go through them very quickly and they are not worth the cost.

I would also be careful with weight bearing bones of large animals, these are very tough bones and can lead to tooth chips and fractures.

If it was me, I would probably consider investing in some hooves and antlers. These for my boys are great chew things and they last longer, so are much more worth the money.

My boys have had access to hooves and antlers from the moment they could, for one that was at 3.5 months.

Like with anything know your dog though and be sure you supervise the chew items, especially for aggressive chewers. Pick up and dispose of parts that are worn down and small to reduce choking hazards.
  • LosechLosech
    Conker got a bully stick the day I got him, just short of 4 months old. He chewed it fine.
    Post edited by Losech at 2013-05-06 16:25:20
  • notoriousscratnotoriousscrat
  • kagurarapkagurarap
    OH so a bully stick is... *blushes* Okay I don't think I wanna get that for my Tali lololol. Not that she'd care I'm sure but I had no idea what it actually was until now. :D Just the thought of her chewing that seems funny.

So jerky recommendations then?
  • ArcticArctic
    My dog got a bully stick shortly after 8 weeks old. She will chew on a 12 inch bully stick for a good month, month and a half, before it gets gross and small enough where I throw it out so she won't try to swallow it. I highly recommend them.

Besides bully sticks, try tracheas and hooves.
  • ArcticArctic
    Just a follow up: bully sticks can be great so don't discount them just because you think they're gross.
  • notoriousscratnotoriousscrat
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Bully stick about 24" lasted 15 minutes for my non aggressive chewer. Cost not worth short life spam for us.

Pig ears last 20-30 minutes. My dogs love them.

Beef trachea 45-60 minutes. Shorter as they are better now knowing how to get at them, but still loved.

Hooves a few weeks before we toss them and put out new ones. Sometimes we even stuff them with peanutbutter. My dogs really love these.

Antlers surviving months later. More interesting if marrow is exposed or antler is fresher.

So it is about trying things to know your dog and goal at what cost.
    Post edited by redcattoo at 2013-05-06 17:12:20
  • BootzBootz
    I feed my furbabies bullysticks, hooves, beef jerky, and raw bones.

-bullysticks are a great way to distract them when they are teething....one stick lasted my shiba (as a puppy) an hour ...now it barely last 10-15 mins.

-hooves, make sure to slowly introduce this to them. My little 10 lb shih tzu mix got the runs when she first tried them (because i let them go crazy at it since they loved it). I had to take it back a step and introduce it to her slowly (10 mins a day, then 20 mins...you get the point). Now I can leave it around the house and they chew them as much as they want. ***be careful if you leave them out, stepping on one is NOT fun***

-beef jerky, Honestly I stay away from any commercial jerky due to all the recalls (regardless if its made in the USA). I have yet to make my own, but I do buy it from a small local shop who I trust. I only feed these as a training treat since it does NOT last long.

-raw bones...because they're on a half raw diet :)
  • DrySeDrySe
    I use beef knee bones because they can't stick it into their mouths and chomp down. They are the size of a tennis ball and just get gnawed on until worn down, and I just toss them. They usually last about 1 - 2 weeks for my two guys (I put out two new ones every monday) I leave the bones laying around so they can chew on them whenever they want. I have heard that chomping down can be a problem with antlers and hooves.

Bully sticks last maybe 10-30 minutes and are not worth the cost ($3 - $8 each). The first time I looked at the ingredients list I asked the store clerk, what is a pizzle? Good laughs were had.
  • MeiMei
    i have been giving mei bully sticks since she was about 9 weeks old. They are a lifesaver!
  • kagurarapkagurarap
    Hmm yeah I do want to stay away from expensive and since Tali would be new to these things, I'd also like to see what she likes. Think I'll try the pig ears. I'm just honestly afraid of her choking on anything but then again I could just be underestimating my dog. There has been a time or two where she was happily gnawing on a greenie or dental chew and I guess she didn't chew it right so she had to spit it back up.

So jerky is out! If Tali lives up to her chomp chomp legend, then I guess jerkies wouldn't do much. The first time she had a greenie, it took her 15 mins. Now she gobbles it up in like 2 mins. Her chompers are evolving!
  • amtiamti
    Post edited by amti at 2013-05-06 20:11:43
  • RikkaRikka
  • bikingleiabikingleia
    I'm surprised to hear so many people say that bully sticks don't last long. I get the thick 12" ones from best bully sticks and one of those typically lasts a week or so. Both of my girls have been chewing on them from the time I brought them home at 8 weeks old and they LOVE them. They'll chew on antlers too but not near as often. Has anyone used a Himalayan chew or know anything about them? Do they hold up and are they safe?
  • HaloHalo
    Wow, the bully sticks I have gotten Halo lasted her several weeks. and she chews on them daily. She is stick number 2, and has a long way to go with it, and its on of the 12" ones. For her, its been worth the investment. I call Halo my little alligator because of her chompiness lol. It might be different though after she gets the rest of her adult teeth in as right now she is loosing a ton of baby teeth.

@kagurarap
    yah, I didn't know what they were at first either, and still quite grossed out by it, but hey, everything we give out pets is some animal part. I just don't touch it lol
    :D
  • zandramezandrame
    Kouda loves bully sticks, but they don't last long. An hour or two at most. He's the type that will sit there and chew until he's finished with it. And they stink!

His current fav are split elk antlers. They don't last as long as the non-split ones, but depending on size, they can last a few weeks to a month.
  • TallygroupTallygroup
    Odd as this sounds, by 5 month old guy likes fabric (soft things to chew).

I take a washcloth and dip it in a little water (sometimes a little chicken broth), roll it up, and then freeze it. He loves to sit and chew on it! I guess the coolness feels good to his gums.

We tried the bullysticks ... he wasn't that crazy about it, I didn't like the smell or the mess. He kept crunching it in different places - and always aimed for the carpet if not crated.

The pig ears were loved, but they are so rich and get so yucky - he can only have it for when outside and only for 30 min. at most.

he will chew and antler for a little while - but always goes back for some fabric for the long chew.

He also like some of the rubber toys that have "prickles" on them if I spread a little peanut butter in it.
  • amtiamti
    Tallygroup, your little boy is probably teething so anything hard could be hurting his already sensitive mouth, hence the desire for something soft to chew. Be careful he doesn't get into a habit of chewing clothes or swallowing the fabric. Give your boy time and he'll be able to eat the bullysticks with no mess. My two hold it in their paws and chew down. I get the kind that are just baked with no flavoring added. Although they have odorless ones, I've never purchased them. I do agree on the smell though.
  • DrySeDrySe
    @bikingleia I have tried the Himalayan chew once. Tsuki could barely put a dent into the thing. It was rock solid and very hard. After a few months I could see a little bit of wear on it but by then I decided to just throw it out because I was worried he might break a tooth since it was so hard. This was when he was a puppy (couple months old).
  • DrySeDrySe
    OMG Best Bully Sticks sell them for so cheap compared to local pet stores/petco etc............................. I have definitely been overpaying for these things.
  • amtiamti
    Yes, they are much more reasonable and they are of good quality, plus you can get them in different thicknesses. The thicker ones last longer, as do the braided ones. Definitely go for the grab bags bc they are the best deal. There is one shipped for $23 (1lb), which is the best deal ever! I've also ordered one of most of the grab bags, and some come with trachea, cow ears, and other parts, but they have all been well received from my dogs, and all the neighbor dogs I've shared them with.
  • ShibaRinShibaRin
    Is it okay to give a 10 week old puppy a ham bone? This thing is huge and it's still in its wrappings, but its leftover from when my other dog passed.
  • amtiamti
    If it is human ham it is very salty so I would not give it. If it is one of the packaged bones for dogs, then it is going to be too big for your puppy to do much damage, and it will give your dog the runs if he eats too much of it.
    Post edited by amti at 2013-05-07 22:34:02
  • ShibaRinShibaRin
    @amti Thank you. :) it's the packaged ones from petco, so I suppose it should be fine in portions.
  • DrySeDrySe
    Yea free range/grass fed no preservatives etc! Now I am sad because I just bought 5 bully sticks for like $20 last week :|. O well, once I use up the current stash I will definitely be ordering sticks, bones, hearts from this place :D
  • Wow, really? Remmy has just hit 16 weeks and we got him his first set of bullysticks this last weekend. My girlfriend can't stand the smell, and he went through the first one (about 8" long) in two days. He chews on everything he can get his mouth on though.
  • RikkaRikka
  • BootzBootz
    @david_rymkiewicz buy the one that has low/no odor.

@DrySe anything compared to petco and local pet stores is cheaper...
  • @Bootz Will do.

Also, has anyone noticed that their Shiba gets more ... say... docile after chewing on the bullysticks? We leave Remmy in his crate chewing on one, he'll go to sleep for a bit, and several hours later when he barks we go to take him out for a walk, he'll just lay there and lift his front paw like he wants a scratch... he NEVER used to do that, as soon as we would get near the door on his crate with his leash and harness he'd always be revving to go outside and potty. But since Sunday, he kinda just lays there and we give him belly scratches which set of the cutest little paddling on his rear leg, but he seems very laxidasical and not really looking to go out. I left his crate with the door open and walked away after giving him a scratch and he still laid there. Eventually I lifted him and took him outside to potty and he went. But...
  • I'm surprised no one mentioned this but Costco always has really good deals on bully sticks. It's around $23 dollars for a pack (one dozen 12 inches) I use to order from bestbullysticks.com but the costco ones are miles better in size and quality. It's almost twice as thick as the ones you get online and a 1 footer bully stick last up to a week...A word of advice though: if you do get it from Costco make sure you buy the ones labeled From South America because the originals STINK!!!!!
  • kagurarapkagurarap
    Was thinking of trying cow ears- seems they're low in fat:

http://www.petco.com/product/120665/I-and-Love-and-You-Ear-Candy-Cow-Ears-for-Dogs.aspx?CoreCat=MM_DogSupplies_Chews

Another question, how long do you allow your shibas to chew on these chews? Do you limit them? Do you leave it lying around for whenever they need to satisfy their chomp chomp urges? Do you store the leftover in any special way?

Thanks guys, you've all been so helpful! :D
  • ArcticArctic
    I leave the chews out until either my dog finishes eating them (trachea chews) or the bully sticks get small enough where I'm worried she'll try to swallow it and then I throw it out. But they're always out and available in case she wants to chew something, and oftentimes she'll jump up on my bed and start chewing away or she'll run into the living room with a bully stick, plop down and get to chewing while I watch TV.
  • kagurarapkagurarap
    Cool - thanks I'll leave her chew nearby her bed. Maybe she'll leave my furniture and my toes alone now. :D
  • redcattooredcattoo
    We leave the hooves out all the time. They end up all around the house as we typically leave 4-6 always out and available. Once and awhile we round them up and throw away the smaller yucky worn down ones and refresh the pile with new ones.

We can't leave the beef trachea's or pig ears out as it can lead to some resource issues between the two boys if one decides they rather go hide it and save it for later. We have to keep close eye out because with those items they tend to take them to their small outdoor area and bury them. Typically though with the trachea or ears if they want to chew them they do so until they are gone. I would imagine if bully sticks lasted longer than a few minutes in our house that those also wouldn't be left out due to the two boys finding those easy to chew to nothing things higher value than the hooves that they just love to chew and play with but last weeks to months.
    Post edited by redcattoo at 2013-05-10 12:01:17
  • ZnoopygirlZnoopygirl
    Sam has been getting bully sticks since we took him home at around 8 weeks. I also rotate his chews between bully sticks, hooves, beef trachea, and fresh marrow bones. The hooves last forever in my opinion, and I usually leave them outside. He will chew on them when he feels like it. Nowadays, he likes marrow bones better than the bully sticks. I am not sure why but a 6-inches bully stick lasts for more than a week now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)