For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
So you want to find a new home for your dog?
  • sunyatasunyata
    This is an interesting (and pretty hilarious) article about the top 13 reasons people want to re-home their dog. And with one exception (the kids thing), all have happened to me and I still have my dogs. Yes, they are expensive, demanding, and destroy stuff. But I love them unconditionally. And when I purchased/rescued them, I made an unspoken promise to be their advocate, support them, and love them for the rest of their lives.

http://isaythingssoyoudonthaveto.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/so-you-want-to-find-a-new-home-for-your-dog/

So read the article... And remember, no matter how bad your dog is... S/he can not be as bad as Bowser. :-P
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • BootzBootz
    That was a nice morning read :)

Bowser.... Lol. That guy!
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Cute article, really loved a lot of the Bowser stories, especially #2.

I can't see one reason though in the list that would lead me to re-home any one of my animals. Like @sunyata, when I chose to purchase/rescue I knew I had made an unspoken promise that they were now going to be part of our family for the good or bad, in sickness and in health, till death do us part UNCONDITIONALLY.

• HaloHalo
    I couldn't rehome my dog, when I got her, i made a commitment to care for her the rest of her life. None of those reasons would I ever give her away. I don't want kids, dogs are excellent kid substitutes :D no diapers to change, potty trainer is so much easier, they don't cry, scream and throw fits for no reason. They love you no matter what
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    That's great! Obviously, having a difficult dog myself, I have less patience with the "I need to get rid of my dog" stories. And I also have a vet who lives with a dog that killed one of their other dogs (even my very nice trainer, who works at the shelter, was shocked by that and said she would have euthanized that dog, but you know, we make decisions and live with them). Having to keep dogs separated all the time is not something I'd wish on anyone, but that and the huge amounts of vet care I have for one dog in particular are just, well, what we do. I took her on. She's mine. I have to deal with it.

(I think there are extreme cases where people have to give up dogs, or times it would be in the dog's best interests, but a lot of the reason I hear too are just excuses. There was a heartbreaking case of two Akitas in rescue recently, where the owners lost their house because the medical bills they had for their child with cancer were so high the house went into foreclosure. They managed to move around for awhile with the dogs and the sick child, but eventually were forced to live in a cheap apt with no dogs. The people were utterly devastated, and I just thought my god, these people are losing everything, and now their dogs too? It must have been more horrible than I can even imagine. And then I had a rant about health care in the US. :( )
  • amtiamti
    That was a great read! I need to count my blessings my dogs are no where near as bad as Bowser. I have to admit I have a lot of respect for the writer. Not everyone has a heart that can endure all that damage without going insane.

We purchased a wet vac years ago. It is definitely one of our better investments. When it broke, we went out and got another one. I consider it a must have for any pet owner!
    Post edited by amti at 2013-05-03 19:28:54
  • DebDeb
    That Bowser is quite a boy.........and his mom is a pretty entertaining writer! Number 13 had me tipped over sideways on the sofa, laughing so hard tears were streaming.
  • bobc33bobc33
    My Shadow has come as close as I can possibly imagine to be rehomed, but years ago I looked him in the eye and promised him I would do anything and everything to ensure he had as good a life as possible. It hasn't been easy, and circumstances may someday force my hand, but I don't even want to think about it.........
    Post edited by bobc33 at 2013-05-03 23:07:15

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)