For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Food storage
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    How would you suggest storing dry food? We currently store dry food in plastic containers, but yesterday ants got into the food. The food has been stored in the same place for at least 3 years and no ants have ever gotten in the food. Any advice is welcome.
  • CaliaCalia
    Something that I've seen people do to keep ants out of reptile enclosures was to rub some Vaseline or mineral oil around the base of the tank or furniture. Could be worth a try doing on the dog food container
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    A freezer!

Seriously, freezing food helps keep it fresh, but it also kills ants if they have broken into the bag. There are items like Vittles Vaults that are ant proof, and I have a smallish one for treat dispensing toys like Kongs, when not in use.

Personally, I store kibble in the bag inside food grade containers like metal cans with lids, and rubbermaid livestock barrels with lids. You can buy these at feed stores.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • sunyatasunyata
    @lindsayt - Is there any reason you store the food inside the bag inside the containers?

Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • BootzBootz
    @lindsayt, I heard about freezing food...but does it become soggy when you defrost it?

@brscrns, I keep the dry food in the orignal packaging and put it in our vittle vault.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    @bootz

You may want to adjust your freezer settings if you find too much frost builds up, but no, this hasn't been a problem for me in the past.

@sunyata

Chemicals from the containers can leech into the food, especially with plastics, and when the food is exposed to air, it begins to oxidize and go rancid. Pouring out the bag contents exposes all the food to air, and it goes stale faster. That's what I was told anyways. I also leave it in the bags since I buy several large bags at a time and they are easier to store in the bins that way, while keeping fresh as possible.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-04-30 14:56:13
  • amtiamti
    Its also good to keep the bags because they have ids on them that will identify them in case there is a recall. I've never froze dog food, but freeze everything else, esp when going on an extended vacation... pasta, rice, flour, sugar... never had a problem with sogginess.
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    Thank you for all the advise so quickly.
  • A freezer for me too. But of course, since I have a hundred pounds of various meats for the dogs, I kind of have to store it in the freezer! ;) Good idea for the kibble though too!
  • BootzBootz
    @lindsayt Thanks! I might try that if I switch back to the bigger bags of kibble. As of now i'm sticking to the smaller bags.

Those are the same reasons why I leave it in the bag. Plus it avoids having to clean out the bin if you decide to switch proteins/formuals :)
  • LosechLosech
    I usually buy the big bags (30-40lbs depending on the brand) and keep the rest in the original bag (tightly rolled and clamped shut) in the freezer. I've got a bucket with an airtight lid that I dump a week or so's worth of food into and store in the pantry.
    Post edited by Losech at 2013-04-30 15:47:15
  • teddyjamesteddyjames
    As of now my freezer is too small for the big bag ive bought. Great idea on keeping it in the bag, and then placing that into the plastic container! I also didnt even think about keeping old bags for a time in case of recall. Great tips as always
  • GrayJJGrayJJ
    I buy the larger 30 lb bag, I clip it shut with bag clips, then tuck it into one of those air tight storage tubs. So far so good.
  • KikkiKikki
    I've been super paranoid about the oxidation ever since I learned about it. Now, I never pour the entire bag into a container. What I will do first is to cut out the "proof of purchase" bar code (in case of food recall) and then fill a couple of big ziploc bags (1 gallon bags) with kibble. Afterwards, I'll tightly roll the opening of the big food bag shut and put it into one of those huge black trash bags and and use bags clip from IKEA to shut the bag. Finally, I'll store everything in a big plastic container. Quite air sealed if you ask me ;)

Each ziploc bag of kibble will last me a week. When those are out, I'll fill up a few more so I end up only opening the big bag of food like 3-4 times.
    photo 09add2ab-be4c-4b53-98a7-1a6bc4311b43_zps71ebc933.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)