For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Food storage
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    How would you suggest storing dry food? We currently store dry food in plastic containers, but yesterday ants got into the food. The food has been stored in the same place for at least 3 years and no ants have ever gotten in the food. Any advice is welcome.
  • CaliaCalia
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • sunyatasunyata
  • BootzBootz
    @lindsayt, I heard about freezing food...but does it become soggy when you defrost it?

@brscrns, I keep the dry food in the orignal packaging and put it in our vittle vault.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-04-30 14:56:13
  • amtiamti
    Its also good to keep the bags because they have ids on them that will identify them in case there is a recall. I've never froze dog food, but freeze everything else, esp when going on an extended vacation... pasta, rice, flour, sugar... never had a problem with sogginess.
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    Thank you for all the advise so quickly.
  • BootzBootz
    @lindsayt Thanks! I might try that if I switch back to the bigger bags of kibble. As of now i'm sticking to the smaller bags.

Those are the same reasons why I leave it in the bag. Plus it avoids having to clean out the bin if you decide to switch proteins/formuals :)
  • LosechLosech
    I usually buy the big bags (30-40lbs depending on the brand) and keep the rest in the original bag (tightly rolled and clamped shut) in the freezer. I've got a bucket with an airtight lid that I dump a week or so's worth of food into and store in the pantry.
    Post edited by Losech at 2013-04-30 15:47:15
  • teddyjamesteddyjames
    As of now my freezer is too small for the big bag ive bought. Great idea on keeping it in the bag, and then placing that into the plastic container! I also didnt even think about keeping old bags for a time in case of recall. Great tips as always
  • GrayJJGrayJJ
    I buy the larger 30 lb bag, I clip it shut with bag clips, then tuck it into one of those air tight storage tubs. So far so good.
  • KikkiKikki

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)