For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Is Orijen for large puppies an issue?
  • teddyjamesteddyjames
    Preparing for my new pup this weekend, I went and bought Orijen kibble. I saw "Puppy Large", assumed that just meant a large bag (brain fart I guess), and just realized it's for large puppies. Would this be an issue to feed to an 8 week old Shiba? Adjust portions based on the size? Or should I try to return it and get a different brand for small/medium puppies? (They have no regular Orijen for puppies anywhere I have looked). Thanks for you help
    James
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • teddyjamesteddyjames
    @lindsayt The exchange was simple and I returned it for Acana, thanks for your advice!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • ArcticArctic
    Acana is fantastic, to be sure, but I'm just wondering why you recommended against Orijen, @lindsayt?
  • LosechLosech
    Orijen is pretty high in protein, and a lot of dogs drink excessively when they eat it. Some also get wonky liver (or is it kidney?) values. It's a pretty rich food, a bit too rich for some dogs, and lots of pups don't do good on it. Many dogs have loose stools on it. It's also got a lot of calcium in it, and too much of that can cause growth problems.

My experience with it was not exactly good, but other people's dogs do fine on it. I don't recommend it for pups though, for the reasons above.
    Post edited by Losech at 2013-04-29 20:57:30
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • ArcticArctic
    Thanks for the clarification/information. I know my dog is a big fan of it, but I know some people have bad issues with it. Just wondering what those specific concerns were.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)