For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Older Shiba at Santa Rosa, CA Shelter Needs to be Adopted
  • Taki – 9 year old male red Shiba at Sonoma County Shelter (Petaluma)

ID # A290532

Sonoma County Animal Care and Control at (707) 565-7100

This little guy is an owner surrender due to the owner’s health issues. She got him from another family who could not keep him. She has been trying to find a home for him for a year.

He is very shy, has been around dogs, has not been around cats. His overall health is good, though he may be deaf/hard of hearing and may have some arthritis. Needs a little teeth cleaning. He is an intact male. Walks slowly, may not be used to a leash.

He is “shut down” at the shelter. A shelter staff member was able to handle Taki, but he seemed a bit nervous (wasn’t enthusiastic about being picked up). He did not seem interested in other dogs or cats when they were brought in to meet with him.

Here is his Petfinder link. I am including it only for the picture. (most of the info isn’t correct) Petfinder: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/25870091

The following rescues have been notified about Taki: Norcal Shiba Rescue, Northern Nevada Shiba Rescue, and Two Dog Farms Jindo Rescue.

[edited title for location of dog ~mod.]
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-04-20 21:37:32
  • Oh, poor boy! I hope someone is able to take him in soon. I wonder if he is older than 9.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2013-04-16 21:34:11
  • Update- This little guy is going to have to go through the rescue process, so he actually needs a foster home. Thus far, I haven't heard whether any of the rescues listed are thinking of taking him.
  • I hope he finds a place. It must be so horrible for the older Shibas to have their lives so disrupted. :(
  • BootzBootz
    Do intact males act fine around spayed females? Or is it just a female in heat that makes them crazy?

:( poor guy.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    So it looks like I'm going to visit this guy this afternoon...
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Keep us updated ... hope he finds the right foster and help through the rescue groups. Being older and being a Shiba sure doesn't probably work well for adopting out through a shelter.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Waiting for a call back from the shelter contact. Of course he would be off the day that I'm available to check him out...
  • Keep us posted...I really do hope you or someone else is able to get him out of there.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Well, I didn't hear back from the shelter contact today. Left him an e-mail in addition to a couple voice messages though, so he knows there are people ready to help. Since I guess Taki failed his evaluation due to nervousness, he can only be pulled by rescue, and there are some forms to fill out. I was in touch with Red and was going to visit on his behalf. Taki would need to be neutered before being released to anyone, rescue or otherwise, so he wasn't going to make it out today anyway.

However, there was another person on Facebook who expressed interest in adopting Taki. She said she was told that Taki could not be viewed until Tuesday. She apparently spoke to different people than whom I spoke to. If she's really intending to adopt him (she does have a female Shiba), maybe that'll be a better situation. And if not, I can and will go back there.

RJ's heart broke when he saw Taki's picture and he is convinced we can make a foster situation work. I am more cautious than he is, but Bowdu has done well with older, slower, "possibly arthritic" guests in the house in the past. And Bowpi gets along with everybody and everything. So we're willing to give it a try. I think other people have spoken up and taken an interest in fostering too.

Anyway, I'm keeping Red in the loop, and he's in touch with the shelter. So something will work out, I'm sure. *fingers crossed*
  • Poor little guy. He's terrified. Sometimes people really suck.
  • I'm glad it looks like he has some options. He's the same age as my Toby, and Toby, while not arthritic, does have health issues and would be terrified in such a situation (Toby would likely even growl at people), so I can't help but think of Toby,and it really makes me hope for a good situation for this guy too.

• redcattooredcattoo
    Yes, I am glad to know there are options and he seems like he will get the help. Too often the situation in the shelter is overwhelming and dogs end up on lists they never should be if given the right situation.
  • Hello everyone-
    @curlytails-- Thanks for contacting the shelter and Red Young.

Here is the latest. One of the members of the Bay Area meetup has offered to foster/adopt the little guy. She will take her Shiba to the shelter tomorrow and see how the two dogs get along. Jack Owens (Northern NV Shiba) is handling this action. NNSR will be the "pull authority". Red Young (NorCal Shibas) is also in the loop.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed.
  • MayamaMayama
    That photo breaks my heart as well. He must be so confused and scared. :(

@curlytails: let us know how it goes. If you need help, I can probably lend a hand.

Edit:
    @sukoshi's mom: thanks for the update. Glad to know someone has offered to adopt him.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
    Post edited by Mayama at 2013-04-20 15:53:16
  • curlytailscurlytails
    I do hope the adoption works out! *fingers crossed*
  • Correction to Location: Taki is actually in Santa Rosa Shelter.
    Things got mislabeled on Petfinder.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    @s's mom Woops yeah. I edited the title to reflect that.

I was confused by the Petfinder listing before so I had left all sorts of messages with multiple places... LOL. He's actually at the Sonoma County Animal Shelter in Santa Rosa.
  • I'm happy to report that Taki has a new foster home -- and may be adopted if all goes well between him and the current Shiba resident. Fingers crossed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)