For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Travelling with Deshka now that she is full grown
  • BarrowBarrow
    photo 67219DF4-AB77-470F-80F3-76D53A2E7C25-479-00000055AA654AD0.jpg

Deshka is 10 months old and varies between 20-22#. Ever since we picked her up in Phoenix she has travelled with us everywhere (she has logged over 30,000 air miles). She still rides in a soft sided carrier under the seat in the passenger cabin with us. We have learned several potentially helpful tips along the way:
    1. Plan flight time plus 1.5 hours for the duration of time there will not be a "potty stop" place available.
    2. Do not provide unlimited water for 2 hours before flight time and provide unlimited water immediately after the flight. I will usually provide Deshka bottled water 15-20 minutes before landing and ice cubes if she wants them during the flight (which is pretty rare, she likes her undisturbed sleep).
    3. Lots of extra play time 8 hours prior to flight time and no naps (if possible).
    4. Late morning flight times and late evening flight times work the best-especially for flights longer than 4 hours.
    5. Have an updated (original, legible, and not dated older than 6 months) health certificate with you at all times.
    6. Have an updated rabies certificate not dated older than 30 days. This is really important if there has been a rabies case at either the destination or the location from which you are leaving because most rabies quarantines are 30 days.
    7. Airline cabins are limited on the number of pets allowed, thus make sure to add a pet in cabin reservation when making the original reservation.
    8. Since the pet is in cabin, there is not a need to worry (or deal with) temperature issues at the airport.
    9. Stay at hotels that allow pets (most Residence Inns by Marriott has become my favorite).
    10. Know that travelling will be much more expensive....typically $200 for most airlines roundtrip, $100 per stay (regardless of number of nights) in a hotel, and doggie day-camp ($20 per day) when necessary. Deshka loves meeting new friends all over the western U.S. (she has not yet been east of the Mississippi).

photo 9A7758BD-9981-4D62-ABBF-1CFCF82CC6EA-6169-000008DABED8DBE1_zpsea2057c9.jpg
    Last month Deshka travelled to Nome and is overlooking the dog drop for the end of the Iditarod dogsled race.

photo 26340363-7EF3-4034-B00D-4EE8BEA0CABC-6169-000008DAB6698107_zpsf8cf0aac.jpg
    Deshka really likes the couches at the hotel after playing fetch.....

[changed category ~mod.]
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-04-15 00:38:53
  • JuniJuni
    I want to fly with Juni but she would not be allowed in the cabin by any airline here. How do you fit Deshka under the seat, she must be taller than that??? Here the carrier must be big enough for the dog to stand up and turn around.
    I did read a tip on one airline website too that might be useful: travel on weekdays when there will be more ground staff on duty that can help out.
  • Deshka is well traveled!

hey, what kind of ball is that in the pic of her on the sofa? One of my friends said she had a ball like that her dog found somewhere, and then he lost it, but she wasn't able to find another for a replacement. It looks very like what she described.
  • NekopanNekopan
    I want to know this as well! I tried to fly with a miniature dachshund puppy on an Air Canada flight. He was only about 10 inches tall from the top of his head to the ground, but they wouldn't let him in the cabin because the seat space was only 8 inches.
  • zandramezandrame
    @shibamistress, I think the ball is one of these -
    http://www.petco.com/product/113911/Petco-Bouncing-Spiny-Ball-Dog-Toy.aspx

They sell similar ones at most pet store chains, and even Target has some (where we got ours). Pretty durable, bounce really well, and double as a zoom groom replacement if necessary. :)
  • BarrowBarrow
    I've had several questions about travelling with Deshka since she is 14.5" and varies between 20-22#. We have a carrier that unzips on the side that allows her to comfortably lay down when under the seat. Most airline seats only have 8-9 inches of "height" space under the seat, thus there is no room for her to stand even if the carrier has the space. However, the "side zip" carrier allows for approximately 16" of space. It is very important to sit in either the window or middle seat because these seats have the widest space under the seat. Several times we have been asked if Deshka would really "fit" into the carrier by the agents at the airport and had to demonstrate. Deshka will climb into her carrier and lay down. Once on the plane she will stretch out under the seat once the "side zip" is opened. She will typically sleep for approximately 4 hours and then is ready to "be there"!

Always looking for a new adventure!
    photo EE1E0D6F-DB01-44E4-87E4-6F7761BD8DAB-3577-0000041C8EBFB723_zps87cde0f9.jpg
  • SayaSaya
    Love the pictures. :) Thanks for the tips too.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    WHat airlines have you flown and what is the specific bag you are using??

Living in Hawaii I know no dogs whatsoever allowed in cabin INTO Islands, unless service dog...

Outbound and mainland,I thought they had to be able to stand up under the seat?

I'm interested in taking Koji to mainland some day and let him experience cold weather..
  • kirjohkirjoh
    I'd also love to know the model of carrier, the airline, do you travel coach/first class/business...? I've heard it can't be done with Shias in cabin, but it sounds like Deshka is the same size if not a little bit bigger than Penny!
  • BarrowBarrow
    The carrier we use is a Petco Expand-A-Case carrier, size large. We typically travel with Alaska Airlines, both in First and Coach. It does not really matter if we are in First or Coach as long as we have either the middle or window seat because of the space under those two seats. The aisle seat is too narrow for the expanding carrier. In first class the only space that works for the expanding carrier is in the "middle" space; neither of the "foot" areas have enough room. We just had a trip where Deshka was in the carrier for 4.5 hours and she did fine...no whining, barking, etc. We weighed her when we arrived back at home and she tipped the scales at 22# even.

As for Hawaii travel we are looking at taking Deshka with us in November for the first time. There is a tremendous amount of preplanning and paperwork to make this happen since Hawaii is the only state without rabies. The nonstop flight time is approximately 6 hours between ANC-HNL and I anticipate that Deshka will get a little uncomfortable unless we really tire her out for the preceding 24 hours.
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    I'm still confused - I thought to have dog under seat the airlines required they be able to stand up under seat...are you saying your dog can stand up under seat? or that airlines don't require it?

Your dog is very cute...
  • tatonkatatonka
    Same question as above!
    Monkey!
  • kirjohkirjoh
    For my own purposes, I am wondering which airline would be maybe "loosest" with it's regulations. It all seems to have to do with if you get a stickler at the ticket counter or not. I'm looking at flying from Tampa to Detroit (or Flint) next month, and I really would love to find a way for Penny to travel with me! Driving was considered, and I would actually prefer it since it would be cheaper, but I just can't fathom driving for 20 hours by myself!
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    It probably depends on the airlines (and as kirjoh said, perhaps even the ticket agent). Usually they don't look in the little carrier, so as long as the dog can fit in it, it should be ok. I brought a GSD pup on the plane once (Delta) and he certainly would not have been able to stand up under the seat (even at 9 weeks!) but he fit in his carrier and there were no problems.

I thought Hawaii had a quarantine? Or are you staying for awhile?

anyway, glad Deshka gets to travel!
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    @Shibamistress - Hawaii dismantled their quarantine facility...You still have to do all the rabies prep...and it takes months...but if you do it to the letter (and they are very strict about timelines of vaccines, tests, retesting, and certification) you can bring dog in...but you can not just hop on plane and bring dog to HI...they will confiscate - if they even let you board on mainland - but I don't know where they keep them now..I'm sure it's not pretty :(
  • amtiamti
    I think that's awesome you travel with your Shiba! I know airplane rules for pets travelling in cargo require that the animal can stand and turn around in the crate, but it seems like standards are different with carry on. I've seen people take their pets out of the carriers in planes before so maybe the airlines aren't too picky since the owners are right there. I love how your dog just goes right to sleep. I wonder if it is the hum of the engine noise that puts her to sleep. I used to lay my kids down on the floor to sleep when we travelled to Japan... until I heard about sudden turbulence.
  • BarrowBarrow
    Deshka is unable to stand up under the seat, but with the expandable carrier she can lay down and sleeps through the flights. So far this has never been an issue. We have had to demonstrate Deshka's ability to lay in her carrier when we check in.... When turbulance gets really bad (especially in small airplanes) she lays really flat on the floor or seat....sometimes making me want to join her!
  • I look forward to our next trip and the ability to bring Hiiro, I wanted to bring him to Las Vegas in march but we ended up not being able to since the trip was literally planned the day before we left.

@Barrow and please let me know how Hawaii works out, my father in law lives there and we would love to be able to bring him out there. Let me know how difficult it really is.
    Post edited by Hiirotheshiba at 2013-06-18 09:09:26

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)