For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Looking for the perfect collar
  • InuzooInuzoo
    So I know there are search topics on collars, types, harness, etc, but I am looking for the perfect collar. So far: buckle thin removes fur front of neck, martingale chain discolors fur, martingale no chair removes fur back of neck (and hide the first tick of the year). Any suggestions? I looked for a rolled leather martingale but have only found the choke type or slip but not limited slip. I made a cotton martingale but it lost its size and some sneaky girl was able to escape. Confused on where to go next.
  • I have one like this on Leo. It doesn't mat his fur or remove it: http://www.etsy.com/listing/127165249/kangaroo-leather-dog-collar-chain?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_query=kangaroo+braided+dog+collar&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade

however, it also is so thin it's really more just for his tags than for walking, but if you use a harness for walking and are just looking of an id collar, it might work.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I love these silk Shiba collars:

http://kninecouture.com/

White Pine also makes a soft limited slip. It does not wear the coat off, or discolor it in any way.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • redcattooredcattoo
    On FB I recently found this person who makes leather martingales.

http://www.facebook.com/Made2MeasureLeatherWorks

The leather work looks good to me and they do ship to the US. I had messaged them and prices to me seem reasonable and had planned to probably buy a leather martingale for each of my dogs.

I like the ones that do have a buckle so they can have some leeway in size, but they also have pictures of martingales without a buckle.
  • KichiPupKichiPup
    I just ordered a no stink one from dublindog.com
    (Cause her nylon was was getting nasty and we don't want it pullin hair out)
    They are really stylish. Haven't gotten it in the mail yet but excited! They arent too big and clunky like most water proof collars
  • redcattoo said:

On FB I recently found this person who makes leather martingales.

http://www.facebook.com/Made2MeasureLeatherWorks

The leather work looks good to me and they do ship to the US. I had messaged them and prices to me seem reasonable and had planned to probably buy a leather martingale for each of my dogs.

I like the ones that do have a buckle so they can have some leeway in size, but they also have pictures of martingales without a buckle.

Those are awesome!
  • redcattooredcattoo

Those are awesome!

I really thought so too, which is why I messaged them. I want leather martingales with buckles and they quoted me $38 for the plain leather and $46 for the braided design, with a discount if I order two. The shipping is only another $12 for two collars, so I thought it very reasonable.

Haven't ordered yet, but plan too.
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    I don't quite know how to quote yest, hence the editing, but I am loving the silk collars @lindsayt posted about above. Now the hard part will be deciding which paisley pattern I like the best.
    Post edited by ShibaLove at 2013-04-10 14:30:04
  • ShibaLove said:

I don't quite know how to quote yest, hence the editing, but I am loving the silk collars @lindsayt posted about above. Now the hard part will be deciding which paisley pattern I like the best.

You just hit the quote button, and it does it for you!

I like those silk collars too, but I'm worried about fur breakage. Everything does it if it is not a narrow collar--like I like those leather martingales too, but that would mat the hair of my Kai and Akita terribly (it's those two I have problems with). I'm intrigued by the White Pine ones Lindsay mentioned that supposedly don't, but I'm also dubious--there doesn't seem to be anything about them that would NOT mat the hair down....I might get one and try it anyway, though, since they are relatively inexpensive.

• lindsaytlindsayt
    They sell White Pine collars at dog shows in my area and they are very popular with the show crowd. I use them on my show dogs and a show friend does also on her Shibas.

I think they are very gentle on the coat, but mine only wear collars when out of the house. Any collar that is worn full time will leave some type of ring IMO, but these have had the least damage IME, for a cloth/fabric collar. I tried the kangaroo leather, small show chains, etc, as outside collars, and each has their own drawbacks (fur staining, fur breakage, damaging the trachea, too thin to be comfortable for walking, etc)

We like the K-nine Couture collars also, since they were also designed for show Shibas and pet Shibas.
  • bikingleiabikingleia
    I use buckle martingale collars from K-nine Couture as well. They're very high quality and the fabric ones hold up quite well through wear and wash. Plus they're really cute! The puppy size is perfect for the first 5-6 months and then I go to the 3/4" adult collar. Like lindsayt said, I don't keep collars on my dogs unless we're going out so I don't have any issues with them rubbing or matting hair.
  • InuzooInuzoo
    Great thanks all! I want them all! Might have to do a few a d swap her out from time to time. I don't dare not keep one on, she doesn't seem like she will walk out alone again but I am not taking any chances. :)
    Post edited by Inuzoo at 2013-04-11 20:16:32
  • wliu003wliu003
    I'm in the market for a new and durable collar and this thread has been very helpful thus far. Thanks everyone for the links/resources.
  • knnwangknnwang
    The poster on this thread has the perfect collar if I ever win the lottery http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/9176#Item_19 and it also has some other good collar suggestions.
  • bmass174bmass174
    knnwang said:

The poster on this thread has the perfect collar if I ever win the lottery http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/9176#Item_19 and it also has some other good collar suggestions.

agreed!
    my guy wors better in a harness for walking but he also has a thin nylon collar on all the time for his tags like @saya had mentioned. it seems like to me with any breed of dog i have seen that it depends a lot on the dog and how much it irritates them.. but i could be wrong.

• redcattooredcattoo
    I fear my dogs getting loose even though they are not speedy door bolters and unattended door, a slip of the leash, in one moment I could see them out and Bear has poor recall when he is more interested in other things ... he may not "run away" as much as stay just out of reach, but the collar to hold his tags helps catch him if we need too.

The only time collars were an issue for Bear's coat was during coat blow, seemed then Bear developed a real raw area on his neck (probably from the thinning coat during blowing). That is when we switched from cloth to a leather collar to hold his tags. No issues since, but we haven't yet been through another full blown coat blowing either.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I just ordered a bunch of Shiba puppy collars from Knine Couture ;))

Also got some fancy adult collars and some "house collars." I will post pics when they arrive.
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    I have been looking at those collars since you posted that Knine Couture link @lindsayt. Last night I ordered Ember and Nikko each a fancy adult collar as well! I am excited to get them and will also post pictures. I wonder of we got the same ones (-:
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Neat! We will have to wait and see ;)
  • Puppy collars Lindsay? Hmmmmm..... :)

I love that knine couture has Shiba specific collars, but none of them would fit my Shibas :( (or my Kai).
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    They won't fit because of the neck size? They state on their site that they can adjust the size because they custom make them by request. When ordering their is a section for measurements and special requests. I had to get Ember's collar 1" smaller than normal. She is too big for the puppy collars but the adult collars are too large since her neck is 11". Since she is still growing I requested they make the adult collar 11-16" instead of 12-16" since she is petite.
  • I just meant the shiba sized collars are too small--of course I could get other ones or adjustable ones--I just meant the Shiba sized are too small for my big Shibas.
  • InuzooInuzoo
    So after much back and forth searching and emails to Mandy at k-nine coutures I ordered 2. I'll try these but even she said a thin rolled leather might be the answer to the fur breakage/baldness. Part of the problem is we often have a leash attached even in the house because she can't be bribed to go in her crate, she's getting better but still not a fan. She also isn't a fan of her harness so without a leash to reel her in even taking her out for a walk can be frustrating. I think I will make a ribbon lead so I can lead/catch her without adding weight. Fiesty one she is! Funny thing is she could care less about being bald or fur breakage..... Just don't put that $^%\<|* harness thing on!!
  • I think the thinned rolled leather collars are about the only thing that really stop the hair breakage. The very thin braided collar I linked up above is like the one we have, and it doesn't break the fur. I have a rolled leather collar on my Akita and it still breaks/mats it a bit, but it is better than anything else we've tried.

We do need a collar on the dogs all the time, too.
  • InuzooInuzoo
    @shibamistress. Do you use a harness also? It is such a challenge getting the harness on I was thinking of an over the head type instead of step in...... Doubt either she will be happy to wear. Oh, and I loved the leather collar you listed but remembered that nickel bothered her what her first martingale was. Still researching and I email the kangaroo leather to ask about the chain.
  • That was just one example, and was not even the place I got it from. (I just searched on etsy really quick). There are also some I like that just slip over the head (no martingale part) but are only for tags.

We do walk with a harness. I have a ruffwear webmaster (he hates it, but...) and one from petco that comes completely apart, so it's easy to get on and off. He hates his harnesses, too, but it's much easier to walk a puller with a harness. This is the petco harness we have, which is easy to get off an on:

http://www.petco.com/product/120898/Petco-Adjustable-Mesh-Harness-for-Big-and-Tall-Dogs-in-Black-And-Gray.aspx

It's hard to see in the picture, but the part that goes around the neck fits kind of like zip ties, so it can be made to be completely flat. It's easy to put on and adjust, though I always triple check that top part, for fear it could come undone. I don't know if it's the most secure harness ever, but I got it because it was the easiest thing to get on him when he was wiggling like mad in the store, and it has remained the easiest harness to get off and on.
  • zandramezandrame
    Has anybody had any experience with Spindrift collars? I'm curious about their
    tubular webbing - maybe similar to White Pine? They have a stuffed comfort collar, as well as martingales. Wish they had a stuffed martingale with buckle!
    https://spindriftdog.com/Collars/
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I like the Spindrift leashes and the clasps, and their martingales are great! Very very soft on coat and grip.
  • wufanwufan
    I use a brown/red leather collar to match my shibas coat. It looks perfect on him and sturdy. I recommend soft (or medium soft) leather.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    We got our Knine Couture collars today. I really love the puppy collars. The adult collars are very well made and durable. They may leave some fur dent if worn all the time, but we will see.

Assorted puppy collars and 3 adult collars:

Farrah got Pink Skulls :)

Ike got the Strut pattern

Beebe got the Green Fern

Group shot!
  • YukikoYukiko
    @lindsayt - Wow those are gorgeous!! They look great on the pack and can't wait to see the puppy ones modeled.
  • They look great! Love the pics! Of course Farrah gets pink skulls! But I love the designs on the others too, and Beebe looks very good in green!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Thank you. I always thought Beebe looked best in green, maybe because her fur is darker than the others.
  • LosechLosech
    I got some custom leather collars in the mail the other day.

The ringed collar is Conker's. The other two are for Juneau (red) and Sasha (blue), my two mutts.

Conker's collar is 1.5 inch wide. He does not wear it all the time, just while we are out front and on walks.

I got an uber thick one since Conker's throat is very sensitive to pressure.

Here are the Girls.

Theirs are 1.25 inches wide.

They've also got reflectors on them.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Osy did a great job on those!
  • LosechLosech
    Yeah she did! They are fantastic.

I forgot to mention, but those collars you got look real nice. I really like the green and blue ones.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Great collars, guys! :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • InuzooInuzoo

Zooey also got her Knine couture collars too. She picked the pink polka dot and Klimts earth. They are very well made. In talking with Mandy (the designer) we went with a tiny dog collar which is 1/2 inch wide for tag only use. I figured perfect..... We'd just pop on the old martingale for quick potty outside (our tiny has no D ring). Zooey had other plans. It's a game of hide, seek and nip that she plays when trying to put the martingale or harness on. So now she's sporting 2 collars.....that will fix her. :). She is such pistol. She loves being naked dog and once something is off she has no plans to let you put it back on no matter how much peanut butter, cheese or treats are involved. I picked up a mesh harness thinking she'd like it better..... Nope she stood in the back yard for an hour and didn't move, even off leash with soccer ball, football, and tug rope attempts to move her. What a picky girl! Her Shiba stubbornness shinning brightly!! I probably could have put a prong collar on my lab and he'd have said "thank you, may I have another".

I think I'll order the Knine Couture Shiba Inu collar and call it a day.

• RhondabeeRhondabee
    A plug for my friend who does custom leather work: https://www.facebook.com/KaijuInuLeatherDesign

She makes leather dog collars and specializes in Japanese-inspired art. She is currently making collars for 2 shibas. She is giving away a free belt or collar to the 200th person who likes her page.
  • sarahwnzsarahwnz
    I got Taffy a rolled leather collar and rolled leather martingale from http://www.hoganleather.com. Really great service, great quality and shipping to New Zealand was pretty reasonable
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    I received my Knine Couture silk martingales last week and I am very happy with them. The green one is for Nikko and the purple one for Ember. Ember's neck is 11 in right now and she has a couple of months to grow so I asked for her collar to be 1 in smaller than their standard size (12-16 in).
    photo 20130425_222648_zpsaa8a22c6.jpg

I like the dark green against his red coat.
    photo 20130427_153328_zpsaad74e40.jpg

Here is Ember sporting her beautiful collar.
    photo 20130427_153618_zps98438a98.jpg

• lindsaytlindsayt
    Very nice! Green is a good color for red dogs.
  • Those are really nice!

On a slightly different note, does anyone know if there's a place that will do custom collars and leashes where you can send your own fabric? I am not so dexterous with my hands and bought fabric for both pups before discovering Bark and Giggle stopped. The Knine couture ones look super nice but I feel like the responsible thing would be to use the fabric I bought first.

@losech - I didn't realize Osy did those. They look great, very high quality!
  • RhondabeeRhondabee
    I know that Sniff to Wag will let you provide your own fabric. http://www.etsy.com/shop/SniffToWag Aimee is the co-founder of SIRA rescue. I have harnesses that she made for all my shibas. She has some cute fabrics to choose from, but if you have a fabric you want to use, she will work with that. She is on her honeymoon right now, but when she returns will re-open her Etsy shop. Sniff to Wag is also on Facebook.
    Post edited by Rhondabee at 2013-05-01 20:31:32
  • @rhondabee - sweet! Thanks very much for the tip. I always forget about etsy too.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    @yukiko

Got to use my new K-nine Couture puppy collars, tee hee:

photo DSCN1052_zpsccda18a9.jpg
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2013-07-17 13:17:10
  • bump

@lindsayt that is the awesomest picture!!!

That being said, did you have luck with the collars from knine coutre not creating rings?

• pyleapylea
    Does anyone know of a good vegan alternative to rolled leather (i.e., rolled pleather)? I would like the option of keeping an ID tag collar on Pylea at home without messing up her fur, I don't like buying animal products unless it's for their food.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @pylea - Not sure if they make a rolled collar, but check out biothane.

Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • pplzyxpplzyx
    @lindsayt What size K-nine Couture collar would you recommend getting for adult shibas? I was thinking of getting one in a medium which is 14-18 inches or should I do a small (12-15in)?. I don't have my puppy yet so I'm not too sure how big their neck sizes will be when grown but I love the look of them sooo much I'm ordering ahead of time :D I'm also going to order a puppy collar as well!
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @pplzyx - my boy is almost a year old and I got the size medium for him. He's had his for about half a year now and we love it!! His is the red and black scrolls one. :P I really wanna get a matching leash! But I chose brass harware on the collar and it seems like the leash hardware doesn't have the option to be brass. Bugs me slightly that it wouldn't perfectly match lol. Ozzy's neck is about 16 inches and he's about 20 lbs.

I also love white pine collars. So gentle. Ozzy wears a collar daily cus if he ever slips out the door, I want to make sure he's got ID on. We switch between the white pine and k-nine couture collars. Both leave minimal fur dent but the white pine leaves a little less of a dent because it's width is smaller.

Trying to find a recent pic of the k-nine couture...

I also recently ordered a silverfoot collar that isn't a slip / martingale style, so he can wear it just for ID safely when camping and stuff. Plus matching harness and leash cus I'm a dog gear maniac. So if it's a hit I'll def update.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2016-11-06 05:57:53

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)