For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
The continuation of the "lock jaw" discussion...
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    I just wanted to pull that topic out of the thread it was in, that thread was being kinda hijacked.

I was going to hijack it further by posting this, but I figured a new thread would work best...

----

Note the Pit's score vs. the Rottie & GSD:

----
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Wow! I knew rottie's had a tremendous ability to apply pressure, but I didn't realize it was that high. Anybody know of any data that compares to "wild" animals bite pressure (I'm not sure how they could measure, but still..).
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • okironokiron
    LJ, I've watched a show similar to this and they went to a wolf sanctuary and cornered a wolf so he'd attack a pole that the meter was on. It was in the 400-500 range if I recall correctly.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Aligators can get up to 2,000 lbs of pressure. I think Lions and Tigers are somewhere over 1,000.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Thanks - I just wanted to get a comparative view.
    CSC_0144
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    Wow Brad, I was going to mention that show too. :-)
    Locking jaws are another one of those dog myths, right up there with "Dobies' brains outgrow their skulls". I'll look for my sources on that, but I think I read something about humans applying more bite force than the largest part of the dog breeds.
    On another note, I'd like to see that test done on an English Mastiff!!! But I tell you, I would NOT be the one who would have his arm in the sleeve.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    There is another show, but I can't find it... I think I posted it on the forum at one point too - it was of another test showing attack dogs and the Mastiff [not English] was in it and I think its but was like 400 - 500!

----
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    I love the guys expression when the GSD is just sitting there barking at him... he was like "WTF do I do? I don't get paid enough for this!" lol!

----
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Found it!!! The Mastiff was 550+! The dutch shepherd in this video freaks me out!

----
  • okironokiron
    Haha that's the show I was talking about Brad. After the commercial where the clip ends they have a wolf bite that thing.
  • kwyldkwyld
    That's a Dutch for ya!! News runs at me like that during flyball, and it's actually really scary, I have to use leather Carhartt gloves when I work him so my hands don't get mangled. I've also heard dogs locking their jaws is a myth and the horse is the only animal that is actually able to do that. And a snake too right?
    Post edited by kwyld at 2008-05-21 16:28:34
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    well that sux! I can still see it!

----

The dutch shepherd just has a hectic attack style, it throws itself at the victim... kinda crazy.

Also, the guy getting attacked, if you listen to him, he sounds like he is getting his ass handed to him when the dutchie gets him!

----
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    holy frick! that dutch shepherd has a crazy attack style!!! ouch. its painful to watch..

mechanically speaking, a dog locking his jaw is proven to be a myth - and you cannot get the jaw to 'lock' through abusive actions such as breaking the jaw (and people who do that should be disfigured).
    But I do think some dogs have the potential to get very close to replicating that mechanism in their attack styles - whether it be their weight shifting or expression of jaw - especially if trained to do so.
    Post edited by tsukitsune at 2008-05-21 16:39:46
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    That dutch shepherd is something else. Wow did he fly in there.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    note to self - on next burglary job, make sure guard dog is not a dutch shepherd.
    CSC_0144
  • okironokiron
    LMAO LJ seriously. And make sure there's not a cat named Kayden either. He'll smother you to death :P
  • Hehe, that Dutch was hectic!

---

Here's some data for you. This comes from the Nat Geo program Brad posted above:

Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic (Dangerous Encounters: Bite Force, 8pm est 8/18/2005) – Dr. Barr measured bite forces of many different creatures. Domestic dogs were included in the test.

Here are the results of all of the animals tested:

Humans: 120 pounds of bite pressure

Domestic dogs*: 320 LBS of pressure on avg. A German Shepherd dog, American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and Rottweiler were tested using a bite sleeve equipped with a specialized computer instrument. The APBT had the least amount of pressure of the 3 dogs tested.

Wild dogs: 310 lbs

Lions: 600 lbs

White sharks: 600 lbs

Hyenas: 1000 lbs

Snapping turtles: 1000 lbs

Crocodiles: 2500 lbs
  • ddowdemersddowdemers
    fascinating stuff....thnx for sharing
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    yea, that's interesting stuff... thanx!

I wonder were a Parrot would fall... their beaks/bites are supposed to be crazy powerful.

----
  • JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    So there you have it, if you are afraid of getting bitten, stay the hell away from turtles.
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    Or humans:

"Normal chewing places about 68 lbs/sq inch of pressure on the back teeth.

If you intentionally clench your teeth you may increase that force to
    about 150 lbs/sq inch.

However, an individual who clenches and grinds their teeth
    subconsciously at night can place up 1200 lbs/sq inch of force. That
    sounds like an industrial grinding machine!"

Dental Health Directory Library
    Bite and Occlusion
    http://www.dental--health.com/biteocclusionpohl.html
  • Wow, that explains why people who grind their teethe at night have messed up jaws. I used to do that and my jaw would do this clicking/popping thing whenever I opened it. It was terrible whenever I tried to kiss my girlfriend it felt like my whole head was vibrating. :-(
  • okironokiron
    Dave that mental image will keep me laughing for years.
  • RomiRomi
    Holy Shiba!!! That Dutchie is CRAZY!!!

LOL Jess - I agree with you 100%!

Dave - John has recently started to grind his teeth at night . He says its from stress??? Anyway, i made him buy a mouth gaurd lol.
  • LOL Romi, a mouth guard? That's cruel and unusual punishment. :-P

In all seriousness though, I think stress is a very likely cause.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)