For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
First time foster
  • Alright.... I need some advice or maybe reassurance.... I'm fostering my first dog. I currently already have a min pin and a shiba, so it's not the dog I'm worried about. I'm just concerned about actually fostering a dog. I have no idea what to expect, and after reading a bunch of different discussions and threads on here, I know there are others out there who have fostered before. So my question is any advice? Anything you wish you would have done or would have done differently??

[changed category ~mod.]
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-03-25 15:09:31
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @dashatheshiba, I have no advice, but I am glad you are starting this thread. Someday, I would like to believe I could foster for the Shiba Inu Florida Rescue group. I probably have a lot of the internal thoughts you do so seeing this thread grow will help me in the future too, so please keep us also updated on your thoughts as you go.
  • If all goes well..... I'll probably start a journal on here with how it goes. I'm fostering a 6yr old female from a puppy mill down in Alabama.
  • SayaSaya
    This might help you a little.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • tatonkatatonka
    Just don't get attached too much :)
  • What Tatonka said... Tho I tell myself that everytime and it never works...,
  • BootzBootz
    If you already have two dogs and you are planning to foster a third...please learn self control! Lol.

I've seen too many "victims" of foster care.
    I mean its nice if you adopted and its your first or second dog....maybe third But I've seen people who've add 5-6 dogs and they just can't handle them all. :( then they start having money problems when vet bills rack up.
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    I've had 5 fosters and my best advice is to just treat them like your own. The most important thing is introducing new dogs to your current dogs and your household which there are threads on. You never know how they will react with food, treats, or toys. There can be the occasional difficulty but most are fine. Good luck!
    Post edited by ShibaLove at 2013-03-26 14:02:06
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    Sorry for the double post...I was on my dying phone before. I was fostering with the intention of eventually adopting but one way to help you not get so attached or feel like you have to keep the foster is to realize that there are many people applying to adopt a shiba and your job is to find the perfect home for your foster. Not that I didn't love my fosters but I just wasn't thinking about keeping them. You are also helping match a shiba to a person that really wants it. It feels really good to help both the shiba and human and they will adjust to their new home quickly.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Fostering is such an important thing. My experience has been being on the receiving end of the situation. Tanjiro came out of a high kill shelter due to a foster taking him in at 4 weeks old. He came to us at 3.5 months old. The foster while torn and wanting to keep him also wanted to continue being able to foster. She was so wonderful I am glad she gave him up and continued to foster.

The work she did and the foundation she laid made Tanjiro a very easy fit into our family with another dog and 3 cats. I applaud all fosters who work so hard because during that transition stage these dogs need to know love and have help being successful when going to forever homes. She also already had an idea what food allergies he may have to grains and other great insights into what we could expect.

*edited to add: I think she was a great foster too because she did have other dogs and a couple children of varied ages which along with other socialization she did, provided a busy household situation with firm rules for Tanjiro to learn from.

Tanjiro had the foundation for loose leash walking, leave it, sit, wait, come, and even how to not bother other dogs during eating after scarfing down his food like a vacuum on full speed. All these foundation skills made the introduction transition very easy for us.

To me fosters play a very critical role in long term success of the rescue system, which is why someday I hope to have the ability and time to be one of those people. For all of you who have and/or are fostering, my hat is off to you as I think you do a great service to the rescue system.
    Post edited by redcattoo at 2013-03-26 14:18:05
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    I believe we have a member who have fostered several shibas already, try doing a search for "foster" and I'm sure they will come up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)