For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Does your Shiba sense how you're feeling and act accordingly?
  • RAM25RAM25
    (I'm sorry if this is already a topic, I couldn't find anything in the advanced search)

My Shiba whines when I cry, is scared when I feel scared and jumps around like a lunatic when I'm excited - she's also a total nightmare if I'm feeling anxious (fidgety, jumpy, unsettled). She also seems to sense when I'm tired and lies down with me. If my husband and I are talking a lot she starts barking and making little 'talky' noises. I've also noticed if there's an argument going on she'll start getting aggressive and biting!

So my question is does your Shiba have an uncanny knack of acting out what you're feeling?

• redcattooredcattoo
    I believe most dogs have a very intuitive sense of our emotions. This is one reason keeping your voice happy and fun during training is so important, you can't let your dogs sense frustration.
  • KentaKenta
    Yup,but only Kenta, not Kitsu, Kitsu doesn't bother. That's why I try to stay positive whenever I'm sad or angry and Kenta is around
  • ArcticArctic
    My 9 month old puppy...is not like that. She wants to play nonstop, doesn't care if I'm tired or sleeping, and same with when I'm sad.

She also once witnessed me falling down 10 concrete steps as we were stepping out to feed her a whole sardine and I landed a few feet from her and she just turned around and stared at me. I think she was concerned about the sardine :-/
  • BootzBootz
    @Artic HAHAHAHAH

Bootz and Jackie does know how we're feeling and act according.
    -I was watching a tv series and cried, Jackie came over and tried to cheer me up by wagging her tail and licking my tears. Then she just curled up next to me
    -My boyfriend and I had an argument before, during the argument Bootz sat next to me for comfort while keeping an eye on my boyfriend (Jackie couldn't handle it and went to hide in the closet
    -When i'm tired they dont try to play
    -When i'm playful they play with me :)
  • RAM25RAM25
    It's interesting to read these responses, I thought it might be all Shiba's. I've lived with Labs before and they seemed quite intuitive too actually. With Shinobi though it's like she's literally acting out what I'm feeling, it's a little spooky.
  • RikkaRikka
    Usually, yes.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • lucylulucylu
    I think the dogs just lick your tears because they smell and taste salty.
  • RAM25RAM25
    Hey, don't spoil it :P they lick tears because they care ;)
  • DebDeb
    I think one of mine is very connected and intuitive to my general emotions, the other two are as well, but not quite as strong. Awful to say, but I don't think it is just something Shibas do. Almost all of the dogs I've had were intuitive and sympathetic sorts. Sometimes I would swear my dogs can read my mind, but I remind myself that they truly are astute observers. But, how do they know when someone is coming home about twenty minutes before they arrive when no one else is expecting them?
  • tatonkatatonka
    Tatonka doesn't know what emotions are, but when I happen to cuss somebody out when driving my car, he stares at me like, "hey.. you're talking to yourself again.."
    Monkey!
  • lucylulucylu
    Ok, we'll I'm sick as hell right now with a 102 degree fever. I just had a sneezing attack and Lucy ran up to me and started nipping at my arm and barking. I don't think she cares.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @lucylu, maybe she was worried about your sneezing attack and nipping/barking was her way to make sure you were okay ... glass half full view :)
  • RAM25RAM25
    What I find slightly disconcerting too, is that sometimes whilst Shinobi and I are out walking she'll take real offense to someone (always a man) and try to hide behind me and cry until they've gone past. I'm 98% certain no man has ever been in the least bit abusive to her so I think she must be picking up on something? Maybe she's picking up when I feel a bit scared around strange men whilst out walking alone!
  • Usually Timber is pretty good about sensing how we feel. If either Josh or I are in really foul moods he'll mess with the 'calmer' one of us. Or he'll provoke which ever one of us is already aggravated since we clearly need to play and loosen up :P
  • MamaYokoMamaYoko
    Yoko definitely does. I wasn't feeling well lastnight and was struggling on the couch. She made sure to come snuggle with me. It's pretty amazing. She responds to my voice in amazing ways too, depending on the tone or how I say something.
    Post edited by MamaYoko at 2013-03-27 15:19:12
  • teddyjamesteddyjames
    Has anyone ever read any studies about this? I've looked it up but haven't found anything worth linking here. I really believe that dogs have a much better understanding of human emotion that most would expect, and even react to those emotions.
  • LosechLosech
    Yes and no, depends largely upon the situation and environment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)