For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Will you clone your shiba inu?
  • SakuSaku
    Hey what do you guys think about dog cloning? I just wanted to throw the idea out there and see what your opinions on this subject. I saw a TV program about a few dog owners who tried to clone their dogs in South Korea! Apparantly, there is a lab who offers the service. The TV crew interviewed the dog owners and followed the process through. The surrogate mom who gave birth to the cloned dog had to go under the knife and had a C-section (I am sure they have another term for it, but...you get the idea). I am not sure what happened to the surrogate mom after the birth...the whole thing is just bizzare and makes me feel uneasy. I am not here to support or reject the idea. Honestly, I cannot imagine the day when I have to lose Saku or Mina, and they only 2 years old...
    Saku & Mina's mom

Saku & Mina
    Post edited by Saku at 2013-03-18 00:15:51
  • SayaSaya
    I think it's called C-section could be wrong. I know on Dr.Pol a animal doctor show I watch he called it that..

I've seen documentaries on cloned sheep. and did see a show on TLC few months ago on dog owners who did the cloning process.

It was interesting and the puppy did look similar. I don't think it showed them as adults at the end so hard say what the final look was. I'd be interested in another part of it showing their thoughts of their cloned dogs as adults.

The price of money for cloning is a lot. I would never do it due to that and never would clone Saya because her DNA or looks might be same, but what about behavior what if she acts totally different and not like same dog.

Sorta like nature vs nurture? I mean what made Saya is life experiences she had at that time in life the encounter with my young cousins is one reason she is good with kids..

So say 10 years from now Saya passes I get her cloned successfully. All my little cousins are grown up have kids of their own, but their kids are not nice and listens so Saya clone grows afraid of kids due to this bad experience with bad kids..

Coarse that would be my fault for allowing her to meet them as I'd know if they were good or rude kids.

Even if the cloned Saya looked just like her down to her markings and behavior I'd know it isn't truly her.

It is truly heartbreaking to lose a pet be it a cat, dog, hamster, rabbit or even a snake..

I know a snake yuck. I cried when Yoshi died. Had him for very long time and it really surprised me to be sad of him dying.. I mean snakes don't show same love or interactions as a dog or cat. Guess the emotional ties was strong enough for me..

I'd never do it no matter how much I love Saya or any other pet I have. Each pet is an experience and each pet is different.

As much of a redo or seeing the pet longer I don't think it'd be the same.

Plus money is another issue I'd have to spend a ton and I rather use that money to make the life of the dog happy time and remember the experiences through pictures I've taken and memories in my mind.

Plus I think it would break me mentally to clone any of my pets. I mean what if I cloned Pearly she gets to age of 12 or 13 and then suffers same seizures? I'd hate to go through that again the confusion in her eyes during that time..

Guess that is another thing to think of will the clone have same health good or bad as the past dog? Will it develop mast cell tumor in same leg or chest? will he/she get HD at same or close to same age?

Or was those health issues due to low quality diet and now I know better and feed better quality kibble and stuff would the clone fare better then it's original?

I'd feel the clone would be a different dog with same look. I mean once Saya is dead she is dead what makes her personality her is unique. There is no way to save her personality then upload it to the clone like files on computer.

Very good question. Sorry I kinda rambled a bit.

Short answer is no I will not clone my shiba or any dog I own.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • LosechLosech
    No. Why?
    Because there is no way I would be able to replicate Conker exactly as he is today without abusing him in one way or another. Growing up in a puppy mill, petstore, and then a shelter, is a big part of who Conker is today. Many of his mannerisms and personality traits were largely defined during the first four months before I acquired him. No reasonable person would intentionally put their dog through that just to get an exact (behavioral) clone of their previous dog. Also, Conker has numerous health issues, and I would really not want to deal with all these again if possible.
    Don't get me wrong here, I love Conker and would never trade him for anything, but it would not be ethical at all to attempt to get an exact clone of him. Physically that's simple, all I need is a less-than-standard looking red Shiba. But behaviorally... No. It just would not be the same without putting the pup through hell first. And even then nothing is guaranteed to be the same.
  • DebDeb
    I read somewhere that cloned animals wind up with shorter or fewer telemeres resulting in earlier aging than the original that was cloned. I think that particular article was about the sheep that were cloned.
    Post edited by Deb at 2013-03-18 02:01:29
  • I'm not gonna clone my Kuma, cause he's gonna stay with me forever and ever anyways!

• tatonkatatonka
    Yes. I would make hundreds of Tatonka clones and secretly replace all the Shiba Inus out there with him. Even the Black & Tan ones.
    Monkey!
  • CaliaCalia
    Problem with cloned animals is that they wind up being of equivalent age as the animal they are cloned from at the time of collection. Meaning that when the clone grows out of puppihood, genetically they are the same age as the original at collection, so a dog collected at 10yrs old will result in a genetically 10yr old clone.

The only thing you would get out of a clone is something that looks similar to the animal but with some coat types there could be no similarity at all. A cloned calico cat had a totally different coat pattern than the original.

And then the most important thing, you can't clone personality. Sure, some basic things could replicate, but the majority of the important traits that made the original special would not pass on to the clone.
  • Definitely not.
    Not even if I could get the exact same dog again. That's just too creepy. I want each dog I own to be an individual, both in terms of personality and in the way they look. I will likely never have another red Shiba unless it was a male and one that had an overall different coloration/pattern than Okami. I just couldn't image having another dog that looked just like Okami, but wasn't her. To me it's too much like not being able to let go when it's your dog's time and then trying to replace your old dog with an exact replica. It's just a bit too weird for me.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    No, there are too many needy Shiba who need a good home. Perhaps if a dog had exceptional breed characteristics that a reputable breeder wanted to keep in the lineage it could be justified. But, sperm and ova could be frozen and stored just the same.
    犬竜
  • SaskaShibaSaskaShiba
    No... for all the reasons @Calia listed. Not to mention the $$$ involved as well. Like @INU RYUU said many needy Shibas need homes.
  • HaloHalo
    No, it may be a "clone" but it would never actually be Halo.when the time comes for Halo to pass on, I would rather just adopt a different shiba in need of a new home.
  • I get why people would want to do this. Honestly, if I were to get another Shiba (and one day, when Zim passes, I almost certainly will and I might get a second at some point sooner than that), I would like for the basic template to be like Zim's. Sure, it would be a different dog, but I like the pieces that form the basis of his personality---his confidence, his love of strangers, etc. If I got another dog, I wouldn't necessarily want it to act exactly like Zim, but the fact is that, to me, he's exactly what a dog should be. Cuddly, without being overbearing. Friendly, but not to the point that he basically turns into a stranger's new earring by licking their ears/face. I like that he's smart and learns fast but that he makes his own choices (even if that choice is "Screw you, Mommy, if you want me, you can come get me"). Even despite the fact that he's not perfect ( bad recall, separation anxiety, fear of the vet), he's perfect to me and I wouldn't mind raising another dog that was basically the same in those ways, even though he would obviously end up being a different dog.

That said, I wouldn't clone him. When the time comes to get another Shiba, I just hope my breeder is still breeding. I love her dogs and I feel like getting a dog from her again could get me basically what I would want out of cloning.
  • Ha! Clone my crazy girl and have a whole passel of psycho bitch Shibas loosed on the world! We could take over, expect they'd kill each other! And I certainly don't need to clone her--puppy mills churn out more dogs like her everyday!

In all seriousness, though, just no. I love my dogs, but you can't reproduce the exact same qualities in them anyway, (and in my case, except for the Kai, why would I want to?). To me the whole thing seems like a waste of resources.
  • EthosEthos
    I would definitely clone Akuma..
  • RikkaRikka
    Nah.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • GrayJJGrayJJ
    I wouldn't clone.

But maybe if they could find a way to clone for breed/animal preservation without a c-section, it could benefit somehow..
  • tatonkatatonka
    I wouldn't mind doggie-napping a Sagan clone. Though I think it would be like that Michael Keaton flick Multiplicity where cloning was like making a photocopy and each level of cloning would yield slower and dumber versions..
    Monkey!
  • But why do they need to do a c-section?
  • RikkaRikka
    I wouldn't mind cloning him for others, but another Sagan clone for myself is too much. :P
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • BootzBootz
    I would clone Bootz because I would LOVE to have a pack of shibas offleash on the beach at Fort Funston. That would look awesome :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)