For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Breeds you humiliate
  • lucylulucylu
    I thought about this because the other week I was at a friends house who has a lab. Don't get me wrong, labs are great dogs, but EVERYONE, has them. Oh you want a dog? Get a lab. Anyways, my buddy was so impressed to show me his lab could shake. I nodded my head and had Lucy jump through a hoop 3 feet off the ground and play dead on landing. Pretty sure I pissed my buddy off.
  • HaloHalo
    Yah, lots of people have labs, I see about 2-3 more of those that any other breed at pet smart whenever I go there. But I do have to say I really don't like chihuahuas, any type, whether it be teacup, chinese crested, normal...whatever...I don't like their aggressiveness or their buggy eyes.
  • RikkaRikka
    Is this a thread asking what breeds you don't care for or like? Because if so... ;)

I definitely find Labs overrated. They're way too hyper, slobbery, clumsy, ditzy, and I don't understand the appeal at all. Not to mention they're prone to being overweight. You ever see a skinny Lab? Yeah, me neither.

I also don't care for brachycephalic dogs. The Boston Terrier is actually one of my most disliked breed out there, but only because I have had bad experiences with every single one I've met.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • BootzBootz
    Labs...and golden retrievers...there are too many of them...

@lucylu AHAHAH play dead after the jump? wow thats priceless. Video please!! Maybe i should teach Bootz play dead...but she does it naturally at the dog park when a dog is being snappy at her.
  • HaloHalo
    @Rikka I agree! Labs are way over-rated, not to mention because they are so over-bred and inbred that they have so many health issues.
  • lucylulucylu
    I can't even post pictures on here and you want a video? Lol. I'll try.
  • Definitely agree on the Labs and Goldens. I work in a grooming salon and, in all honesty, the dogs that are the worst "cage brave" or kennel aggressive are Golden Retrievers. I'm sure it has to do with all the over-breeding of the two breeds, but they get downright scary in their kennels. I don't get scared very easily by animals, but that deep snarling growling bark scares the crap outta me.

Also, practically all tiny "companion" breeds; yorkies, poms, shih tzus, malteses, tiny poodles...the list goes on and on...

People in my area have never seen a Shiba before and most of the time have no clue they exist. Okami gets compared a LOT to the normal dogs I see everyday.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Umm... I like labs and goldens..... But yes they are so common... Shibas are getting there lol

Breed i don't care for... Chihuahua, if you don't know why, you've never met one.
  • Rikka said:

Is this a thread asking what breeds you don't care for or like? Because if so... ;)

I definitely find Labs overrated. They're way too hyper, slobbery, clumsy, ditzy, and I don't understand the appeal at all. Not to mention they're prone to being overweight. You ever see a skinny Lab? Yeah, me neither.

I also don't care for brachycephalic dogs. The Boston Terrier is actually one of my most disliked breed out there, but only because I have had bad experiences with every single one I've met.

I feel exactly the same! I really don't like boston terriers. And I don't like labs or goldens either, really.

I don't care about the overweight thing though, because you know, Shibas tend to gain weight as they get older too, and since I have a very fat Shiba that we can't get his weight down, well, I feel kind of protective about old fat dogs. (And he's losing his hair too, so he's old, fat, and balding, poor guy, and we don't know what it is: not his thyroid, perhaps early stages of cushings, but we don't really know).

But labs really bother me. Goldens too. But I reserve my extreme distaste for the Chihuahua and the Dachshund, my two least favorite breeds.

• curlytailscurlytails
    Honestly, it's hard for me to generalize about Labs, Goldens, Chihuahuas, etc. because there are so many, I don't feel like it's fair to cover the range with a blanket statement. They don't interest me, but I don't dislike them. I realize that every pet is someone's beloved, and usually that person is right there in front of me, so I don't do anything to "humiliate" them.

We've been running into some overly exuberant Boston Terriers lately. And for some reason, they like to pick on Bowpi. They'll get into a really high energy game of chase, and then BOOM -- they've headbutted her and knocked her onto her side. The last time it happened, the BT's owner just laughed, and I kind of scowled at him and said, "I don't think my dog likes the way your dog plays." And we walked off. The BT sped over to pummel Bowpi again, and I had to body block him a couple times before he got the message.

I'm NOT a fan of brachycephalic dogs either, maybe because Bowdu and I both feed off each others' distaste. Bulldogs in particular bother me a lot. I forgive pugs for being pugs though, because most of the ones I've met have terribly sweet personalities. There are a couple that go to one of our parks that just dodder up to you for pettings. But then they turn around and expose their backside, and I just have to cringe because these two in particular are so fat and misshapen, they can't even properly clean their own buttholes...

And if there's one thing that I love about MY breeds and hold others in contempt for, it's their natural tendency to stay clean. Well, usually. ;)
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    I'm kind of with @curlytails here - I don't really think it's very nice to generize about dogs that I "hate"...Yes, could make some generalizations about labs/goldens - but they are living creatures and lots of people love them and there must be a reason.

I have also met some labs that hunt and are active doing what they are bred to do and they were incredibly fit, calm and dignified. and extremely good off leash and could humiliate me and Koji...so feel like not nice to blame breed for being popular and not worked like they should...

Same with Chihuahuas...it's usually the people who create little monsters..have met buggy spastic freaky Chi's and also some sweet normal ones (in my family)

If you are a Shiba fun to compare to other dogs - but don't feel it's cool to bash other breeds - IMO...again, I have definate preferences, breeds I would never consider owning, and individual dogs I really don't want to be around, but to say I hate all.....fill in the blank...I don't know,..sounds mean to me...
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    "if there's one thing that I love about MY breeds and hold others in contempt for, it's their natural tendency to stay clean. Well, usually."

Oh I hear you on this…..There is something to be said for a breed that can remain somewhat tidy and generally not stink up one's house most of the time…. it is nice the breed is naturally what it is, with minimal fuss and they can still remain looking decent.

My only kibitz on dog breeds…..I have seen many a poodle and often their owners really don't cut to the chase on grooming. Show folks present the position that the standard grooming clip on poodles is to help joints stay warm in the water…. yadda yadda… I guess good PR to cover the truth *wink*…. In actuality, I swear the real honest to gods truth, clipping has to be done to keep the crap from sticking to the dog's coat (lol). Gads… who wants to deal with a dingle berry hanging off the end of their dog's tush or tail because they are late on grooming or do not want to be bothered to take their Poodle type dog to be trimmed. Bottom line, no pun intended, if the dog sits down or swings around all the crap and leaves tend to smash into the fur on the rear, basically embedded for all eternity. … Certainly high on the ick scale in my book.

The frills and fringes on other hunting breeds can be problematic too (i.e. briers, nettles and debris) that just hang on burrowing to the skin or growing into a giant ball that holds dirt and water, leading to odor. Talk about stench.

Yeah, generally lack of proper grooming for a breed is a pet peeve of mine more so than breed itself….
    Snf

• RikkaRikka

I realize that every pet is someone's beloved, and usually that person is right there in front of me, so I don't do anything to "humiliate" them.

I don't publicly humiliate other people's dogs either, there's no reason to. I don't think anyone does unless you're an asshole.

I'm kind of with @curlytails here - I don't really think it's very nice to generize about dogs that I "hate"...Yes, could make some generalizations about labs/goldens - but they are living creatures and lots of people love them and there must be a reason.

I have also met some labs that hunt and are active doing what they are bred to do and they were incredibly fit, calm and dignified. and extremely good off leash and could humiliate me and Koji...so feel like not nice to blame breed for being popular and not worked like they should...

Uh... No one is bashing here. No one is talking about someone's particular dog. No one gave names away. I'm making a generalization because the Labs and Boston Terriers that I'VE MET are all hell demons and I'd rather slit my wrists than be around them. People can like or dislike dog breeds. I don't think it's fair to tell people "oh, it's not nice to bash on a dog."

I don't like Boston Terriers. Sorry.

On another note, if I heard or read that someone doesn't like Shibas because insert arbitrary reason here, I wouldn't care. That's their prerogative. I'm not there to change people's minds or make them like something they don't like. Everyone has preferences.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
    Post edited by Rikka at 2013-03-15 17:46:41
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Uh, but it's NOT nice to bash on a whole breed. Haven't we been through this in other, more inflammatory threads? ;)

That said, I didn't read anything here as bashing. I just said what I did because I honestly couldn't think of an entire breed I'd deliberately attempt to "humiliate," as per the title of the thread. Nevertheless, I thought @lucylu's original anecdote was pretty funny and had a chuckle imagining it as he described. The difference, of course, is that he's talking about a specific interaction with a buddy of his who can take the joke.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • knnwangknnwang
    I hate cats unless they are my sister's then I lie to her. They should be on a leash, and are given way too much freedom.
  • There are entire breeds I don't like though. I don't think they are bad, and I think it is very different than making generalizations about breeds as being bad (like the prejudice against pitties), but I simply don't like them.

I have never met a Boston Terrier I could even tolerate. Same with chihuahuas and dachshunds. I find them kind of loathsome, frankly. But I'm fine with other people having them if they want them. and English Bulldogs, which I actually have stronger feelings against, because I don't even think they should be bred (in my mind, if a dog can't breed or whelp on its own that it shouldn't be a breed).

I don't like labs or goldens either, though I have found a few examples of the breed to be tolerable. My best friend is getting a golden puppy soon, and I'm sure I'll like the puppy, but you know, I just don't like them as a breed and would never have one myself, though I'm glad other people like them. At least with labs and goldens I can dislike the breed overall but find some ok individual dogs which is more than I can say for the two above.

So I feel fine generalizing about my individual taste and preferences, which is different, however, from condemning an entire breed or saying all members of a breed do x.
  • DebDeb
    Obviously, my preference is for northern spitz type breeds. I don't hate other breeds as a whole, just don't care to have another kind of dog.

Features I dislike in some breeds is the wet mouth ones, long strings of drool on a large dog's lips is pretty nasty to me. I don't want to clean it up and I don't want to slip and fall in a puddle of drool. My friend has a neapolitan mastiff and talk about wet mouth! The dog is a very sweet and well behaved boy, but the drool is awful. If I go to visit, I just wear old jeans, shirt and sneakers so the dog drool doesn't get all over anything good and the sneakers will have a better grip on ceramic tile with a puddle of drool. I should probably wear boat shoes!

Lack of grooming gets to me, too. I hate to see a dog with mats or a grungy coat, there isn't much of an excuse for that and it isn't the dog's fault.

• GatsuGatsu
    Well pretty much anytime I walk my shibas with my friends and their dogs. Usually my Shibas get all of the attention. So I feel terrible when that happens. One time I did rub it in my friends face every time it happen, I was an ahole :(.
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    Ummmm, I said in my post that there are breeds I don't generally care for, dogs I don't want to be around etc...so whatever

I thought opening anecdote cute - but seemed like went from "Look what my cute dog did..." to piling on this stupid breed or that...and of course some Shiba owners on this forum have other breeds too...

Started to sound a little smug and self congratulatory - which I am guilty of sometimes because I think Koji is the S#*& ....
  • amtiamti
    I thought the purpose of the thread was humor. I thought the op was cute. We all have our different tastes but obviously, we all have one good taste in common, our love for our shibas. :)

There are breeds I don't really care, mainly yappy and droopy ones, but most importantly, the breeds I tend to stay away from are the ones with questionable temperaments: chows, dalmations, shitzu, pits, etc... I've heard too many stories about those breeds biting and have been bitten by at least two of the breeds. I don't know how the dog(s) have been raised, or their background, so for me, I just tell my kids not to pet them and do the same. Before anyone jumps to defending the breed(s) mentioned, this is MY personal opinion. Every dog is different, but I'm not about to take a chance with myself or kids. As far as humiliating them, well, if you consider telling my kids not to get close bc I don't know if the dog is safe, then yes, I do tell them that, but it is usually in Japanese. I'm sure the owner of the dog, if they are present, probably knows what I am telling the kids too.

My neighbor also had an annoying shitzu years ago. This dog would come into everyone's yard and poop... I hated that the owner did not clean up after his dog. One neighbor went as far as picking up all the poop from his yard and depositing it on the front porch of the dog owner. It did nothing. This annoying dog would also come up to our sammy and start a barking fest. Yap yap yappity yap for up to 30 minutes when her owner would come to scoop her up and bring her home. The entire time, our sammy would just lay in the grass and ignore the yapper, enjoying the sun while we were washing our cars, or tending to the yard. When our sammy went inside, that annoying dog would follow her yapping into our house or our garage. I would have to chase it out and shut the door behind her. Then she'd bark on our front porch for a few minutes. It was especially enjoyable to watch our cat chase the dog out of our yard. In hindsight, I should have got a water gun. But yes, I did not care about hurting that dog's feelings. But in reality, it wasn't really so much the dog as it was the owner. They have a new dog and now they walk him every day and I like the new dog (he's not a yapper and stays away from my house bc he's scared of my boys), but they still let him poop in our yard. I thought revenge would be sweet, but my boys don't poop there. 8-| I want everyone to like my dog, so I make sure I clean up after them and let the world know I am walking around with doggie bags. O:-)
  • Briona528Briona528
    I don't like Boston Terriers, pugs, bulldogs, etc. because I think their faces are ugly being smushed in. Personality wise....I've only met nice ones.

Labs and Goldens....they are just too big for my taste. My parents have a golden retriever/husky mix (they got for free by an accidentally breeding) who has the best personality ever and is super smart and nice. I adore him....just not all his hair. He is only 45-50 pounds too.

Labs - I know a TON of people who have them and think they are the best. My opinion, they are VERY big and hyper for many years. I got bite in the eye by my aunt's lab when I was 10 and I did not even do anything....just walked by him. So I am just not a big fan of them.

Smaller breeds....I have met a ton and seen good and bad personalities. I rescued a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix that I adore but I have meet other chihuahuas that were mean. I love mine but will never own another "small breed" like this again.

Basically I discovered the Shiba and doubt I will own anything else from now on. Mostly because I LOVE Shibas but also because it is the only breed my husband and I can agree on.
  • GemmaGemma
    I work in boarding kennels and no matter how quiet we are I can guarantee there is ALWAYS atleast one lab in. Don't get me wrong, they are nice dogs and I've met some lovely ones. But I would NEVER own one. Too predictable, common and really boring to look at!

But pugs are my pet hate. Nice sweet personality, but jesus they're unhealthy. So many of my friends want pugs because they're "cute" and I used to think they were cuteish until two old pugs came into my kennel. Ever seen an old pug? I'd never wish it on anyone. Their eyes were just crust, they couldn't see, couldn't move fast at all because they couldn't breathe, and if you picked them up their eyes popped out ans you had to put them back in (not that is mattered because they were both blind). And by old I mean both were only 8. So not old at all. How anyone could purchase a dog like that is beyond me. Poor little tykes :(
  • Poor pugs! They are almost ugly cute to me, and seem to have engaging personalities as young dogs, but I've never seen any old ones, and don't know much about their health, though I would have guessed it was awful. Poor dogs!
  • amtiamti
    I'm like you shibamistress... I thought they were so ugly they were cute. My aunt owned pugs and they were very noisy breathers. That poor little smushed up nose they had didn't allow for very good airway traffic, so they were always walking around with their mouths open and slobbering everywhere. They also got really smelly from the water and dirt getting in between their folds. Her last one ended up in diapers for several years. She was so loyal it was painful, but gosh, I couldn't hate her because although she was blind and could hardly hear, she still pushed with all her might to follow my aunt. Luckily the apartment was in Japan so it was very small. But still... gotta love that loyalty!
  • tatonkatatonka
    Sorry, I like dogs of all shapes and sizes. They're usually better than people, really!
    Monkey!
  • Interesting post. It's so funny how we all have our individual tastes, huh? I guess that is a good thing, that way we can all be individual and have our own individual breeds. I have recently read the same type of post over on my horse forums! Wow, those people get really snipey!! Since I have unusual and rare dog and horse breeds, I am usually the "weird" one since I don't personally care for the "common" breeds.

For me, while there have always been breeds I definitley don't care for (mostly all the toy and terrier breeds), I have found individuals within that breed that I like. Pretty much like everyone else here. Since I live in hunting and cattle country- breeds like labs, shepherds, border collies, heelers, pointers (and the mixes of these) are everywhere! Labs- never really wanted one as they were so common (America's #1 dog afterall), and lo and behold- I ended up with one! LOL! Although Hershey (I know- how common a name is that!) is a lab and Brittany Spaniel cross so perhaps slightly different from your ordinary lab. She is awful sweet and kind and just ADORES my shiba. Yes, the water dripping is annoying, but she really is such a love. And she is fabulous trail dog. She runs with us on trail rides for hours.

I have NEVER been a fan of any of the the terriers at all- and- yep- I have one of those now too!! Again- came with hubby- a Cairn. Seems like he grew up with them and so has always had one (kind of an odd choice for a cowboy, I thought). Our Maxie is a sweet dog, but definitely all Cairn terrier. But for being "married" to her, I would never chose to own one myself

Bottom line it seems to me that so much of the problems we see with breeds come from the people. Especially the small breeds (toys and terriers). The behavior and attitudes that people will allow in their small yappy dogs they would never tolerate in a big one. It's like they don't care to discipline their small ones...

Ah well, as I said above, good thing there are a number of different breeds to match all of our different tastes! But for me- I will take my Shibas and Friesians over labs and Quarter Horses anyday!!! :)
  • WolfHallWolfHall
    @shibamistress, I'm curious as to why you dislike dachshunds? I feel the same way but I've never been able to put my finger on precisely what it is about them that I don't like. Is it just their distorted bodies? It feels like more than that. I used to dog-sit two long-haired dachshunds when I was a student and I just couldn't warm to either of them. They kind of revolted me in a way I hadn't experienced before. Their owners loved them, needless to say.
    As for other breeds...when I had two demon basenjis my dad would sometimes say wistfully "why couldn't you have just gotten a nice lab?". But a lab is one of the last breeds I would choose for myself. They are so dopey and I think they are overrated as "easy" dogs. I lean towards breeds which resemble wolves, foxes, dingoes or greyhounds, regardless of size or fluffiness. So Boston Terrier, maltese, bulldogs, spaniels are all off the list, but pomeranians are OK because they are foxy and the ones I've met have been smart and feisty. I make an exception for pugs because basically I think of them as a separate species, and therefore not dogs at all.
  • HaloHalo
    Ever met a chiwienie? Dachshund/chihuahua mix??? Those are very odd looking. Dachshunds are very odd looking due to their ridiciously long bodies with stumpy legs
    Post edited by Halo at 2013-03-19 09:10:09
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    I like beautiful and smart dogs. OPf course what I think is beautiful is subjective. I like most of the spitz family (pointed ear and pointed nose) and anything looking primitive. I do not like overly excitable dogs and agree with most of the comments above on the other breeds (labs, goldens, chihuahuas, most toy breeds). I have never really like poodles but recently there have been lots of giant black poodles at the dog park that are very pushy. I just don't like their look or personality and they seem to pick on other dogs (of course this is partially the owners fault for letting them but I am talking about multiple owners).
  • WolfHall said:

@shibamistress, I'm curious as to why you dislike dachshunds? I feel the same way but I've never been able to put my finger on precisely what it is about them that I don't like. Is it just their distorted bodies? It feels like more than that. I used to dog-sit two long-haired dachshunds when I was a student and I just couldn't warm to either of them. They kind of revolted me in a way I hadn't experienced before. Their owners loved them, needless to say.
    As for other breeds...when I had two demon basenjis my dad would sometimes say wistfully "why couldn't you have just gotten a nice lab?". But a lab is one of the last breeds I would choose for myself. They are so dopey and I think they are overrated as "easy" dogs. I lean towards breeds which resemble wolves, foxes, dingoes or greyhounds, regardless of size or fluffiness. So Boston Terrier, maltese, bulldogs, spaniels are all off the list, but pomeranians are OK because they are foxy and the ones I've met have been smart and feisty. I make an exception for pugs because basically I think of them as a separate species, and therefore not dogs at all.

We're on the same wave length here! My feelings about dachshunds is mostly body shape. They just kind of freak me out/revolt me. I really don't like short legged dogs at all, so I also don't like corgis, though at least the corgis I have met have had ok personalities, which is more than I can say of the dachshunds, who were all kind of nasty, barky/snappy dogs. And when I lived in Poland, it seemed like their were dachshunds everywhere, and it also seemed like all the mixes had them in their lineage because so many had short legs!

My vet also says "why can't you just get a nice lab?" when we bring in the Shibas (usually) from yet another misadventure. But my vet has fox terriers, and so now I am easily able to counter her "lab" comment with a mention of her fox terriers!

I like the look of terriers, and I even like their feisty attitude, but now that I have a friend with one, I feel like they are a bit much for me (and the noise! My god, drives me crazy!) so no terriers, though I do appreciate them as a group. (not the short legged ones though!)

• Min Pins.... I can't stands them and in general nicknamed the breed "Ugly Mutts" after my mom's Min Pin who I've called Ugly Mutt from day 1 (he actually response to it better then his real name). They are genetic disasters and well... just plain ugly! (no offense lol)

I have a weak spot for Corgis and English Bulldogs. Bulldogs are great in the studio but I don't think I'd ever get one.

I was really never into Labs, but the service puppy I raised was a lab and one of the homes I work in has an awesome lab, so they've won me over, but I don't think I'll ever "own" one.
  • tatonkatatonka
    Chiwienies have the softest underbelly. I couldn't believe it when I first met one.
    Monkey!
  • knnwangknnwang
    I so need to post some pic of all the breeds my little one have posted up with in this thread. Lol.
  • Today I think I could turn this around to breeds that humiliate you: as in my Kai Ken who keeps peeing in his advanced obedience class. As in ON PEOPLE! (Luckily today his belly bad prevented any pee from actually getting on anyone). But yeah, he's never done anything like this before, and he's a year old, so I'm pretty humiliated! *lol*
  • teddyjamesteddyjames
    I wouldn't say I dislike Huskies, as they are a beautiful breed with a lot of potential, but I feel like almost every Husky owner is completely oblivious and unable to care for Huskies! Constantly howling, leash biting, showing signs of aggression, and half of the Huskies I've met are even fully house-trained. They jump on new people, play too rough with smaller dogs, and pull and tug away from owners.
  • SayaSaya
    Saya seems to love dachsunds.. haha This is Blue he is pretty neat little guy soon he saw Saya he'd run at her and they'd be in their own world playing and jaw sparing..
    photo DSC08549.jpg

I like dachsunds, but never would own them.. I think they're prone to spine issues.

I like Lucylu's original post so funny. Lucy is a smart shiba. :)

Saya doesn't really show off other breeds I don't know many friends local who have dogs, but she humiliates my cousin's pug as she doesn't beg for food and stuff.

I mean Lily she will jump on the chair then table and dig into the piece of pie or cake! haha

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • KichiPupKichiPup
    The park is great for seeing all types of dogs...and its an ego boost LOL
    My 5 month old shiba behaves and does recall better than 95% of the dogs there.
    I saw a porgi there the other day.... A puggle/corgi. Eeeee :( I am already not a fan of puggles but to mix an already mixed breed with a nice corgi? Not so much.... He was humping everything -_-
    I went to petsmart last night with my shiba and they had a intermediate training class going on... I accidently kinda show'd them up a little bit *innocent look* I usually practice behavior there anyway since there is a lot of smells and people.
    But yeah when ever someone says ' my dog can sit and sometimes comes!'
    I'm just like ' yeah that's niiiiice' :)

#lovemyshiba
  • ArcticArctic
    @teddyjames, it's funny you mention that about huskies. My good friend has one, and she does everything you just described. Plays waaaay too roughly (even for my Shiba who loves big dogs and rough play), leash pulls, leash bites and isn't housebroken. At all. She will poo or poop where ever she pleases, inside or out, and she's almost two years old. He's had her since she was a puppy so there's really no excuse for it. As a result we strongly discourage him from bringing her over, which is too bad. But whenever he does, she inevitably ends up going to the bathroom in our house.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    I'm gonna let this generalization of husky owners slide...this time!! :) Just remember, there are owners of other dog breeds that probably feel the same about Shiba owners!!
    Anyway, I think the topic of this thread is about other dog breeds, and how Shibas might "show them up". Let's stick to this!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • knnwangknnwang
    If only I could clone 1 million Ratchets in south Korea then release them in north Korea :/
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Ok, I can't do it. I think that saying "almost every husky owner", in that context, is very irresponsible and lacks any grounding. If you don't like huskies, then just say it. I have no problem with that. But to so blatantly generalize the breed, as well as their owners, shows a lack of understanding and respect for the breed. Huskies howl to communicate, just as other breeds bark. Excessive howling is not a husky trait, rather a form to communicate that maybe it is bored or injured or needs some form of attention. Just as any other breed may bark. As far as aggressiveness i don't know which huskies you have come into contact with, but as a breed in general, they are one of the most subdued. I have never meet an aggressive husky, but I guess it is possible. All comes down to proper socialization and training. But in their nature, huskies are not aggressive. As far as the leash biting and jumping up on people, again, comes down to training. I can say that huskies love people, and they do get excited when meeting someone new. I wouldn't find it odd for a husky to jump up while meeting someone new, or welcoming a long lost friend. Training, again, is they key. As is the housebreaking. Ive never heard that huskies are any less capable of being housebroken than any other breed. Huskies are a intellegent breed and are very clean like Shibas. I've never known one who would want to soil its own home, or any other home for that matter.
    I apologize for being offended and feeling the need to post this, but I think it warrants a rebuttal. And we lost our Sibe not even a year ago, sort of hit home.
  • teddyjamesteddyjames
    @kobe1468 My apologies! I must not have understood the gist of this topic completely. After re-reading my comment, I see that I definitely meant to add "that I have met", after saying every husky owner. It was a breed I was originally looking to get until I realized it was something I just wouldnt be able to handle. I was not trying to generalize huskies at all, they seem to be amazing dogs with so many great characteristics. I believe there are very few "bad dogs" or breeds, if any. Just misinformed or complacent owners, which i have seen in my limited husky experience. Meant no offense by my post and I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
    Post edited by teddyjames at 2013-03-23 05:29:04
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    @teddyjames, no worries. Thanks for clarifying your point. I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences with huskies and their(possibly) irresponsible owners. A well trained husky is such a beautiful dog, almost as beautiful as a well trained Shiba!! I dont think you would have a problem handling a husky, but respect your preference. And thank you for your condolence. Dawson was the first dog my wife and I raised from puppyhood together, and was actually our wedding gift to each other!! He was a awesome dog!!
  • ArcticArctic
    @Kobe1468, I also meant no disrespect. I wasn't even trying to imply that I don't like huskies. I was just offering up my opinion of my one friend's specific husky, and her manners and lack thereof.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    @Arctic, thank you! I really don't have a problem with your post as it refers to a specific dog. My issue was with the generalizing of Husky owners, and a lack of understanding of the breed. Im sorry that I made you feel like you had to clarify yourself! But I thank you for caring enough to do so!!
  • tatonkatatonka
    Saw a comment on Reddit to the effect of: Shiba owners are like BMW drivers. They don't stop talking about their dogs and of course believe Shibas are the ultimate doggie breed. :)
    Monkey!
  • tatonka said:

Saw a comment on Reddit to the effect of: Shiba owners are like BMW drivers. They don't stop talking about their dogs and of course believe Shibas are the ultimate doggie breed. :)

I'm confused, aren't they the ultimate doggie breed?
  • teddyjamesteddyjames
    @kobe1468 I plan on getting a husky as a secon dog! Theyre beautiful, friendly, unique, and energetic. But I'm a 22 year old male, and the husky owners I know around the same age. After getting over how badass the dog looked, I realized it wouldnt be fair to the breed for me to get one just because it looked cool. One friend had to rehome, the other put his up for adoption, and the other is 2 years old, not potty trained, and cooped in apartment. They never realized that a husky wouldnt match their "party party party/get out of my apartment" lifestyle. I figure once I can care for a Shiba, and I'm open for a new dog, I'll adopt or rescue a Husky :).
  • ArcticArctic
    @teddyjames, I hear you on that. I am a 25 year old guy and I live with roommates/friends and everyone is always trying to live it up and party, and a lot of times I have to skip out because it's not what would be best for my Shiba. I'd love a second dog soon, as well, but I realize right now isn't a good time for one, so I patiently wait. Responsibilities! Who would've thought!
  • My friend had a husky that destroyed her house, it's not that she was lazy or irresponsible, her ex had insisted on getting a dog and then dumped the responsibility on her along with their three kids. She did her best but in the end he ended up rehomed. I've been a little off put ever since. I think of them as a very high attention breed.
  • My friend had a husky that destroyed her house, it's not that she was lazy or irresponsible, her ex had insisted on getting a dog and then dumped the responsibility on her along with their three kids. She did her best but in the end he ended up rehomed. I've been a little off put ever since. I think of them as a very high attention breed.

Huh. Sounds like owner error that the dog suffered for to me. You know, crating stops destruction. I hate hearing these kinds of stories.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)