For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shiba-Pomeranian? [never mind, potential pandora's box]
  • In addition to the prospect of a Shiba, I may have, over the last few months, thought about Pomeranians.

Now while I am not interested in a pure Pomeranian (from what I know they are kind of loud, and as I stated I live in an apartment building), a Shiba mix interests me. ^^;

I am wondering what I might have to expect of such a dog that I would not expect from one breed or the other. You know, from the behavior mixing. If I were to get such a dog I would want it to be quiet like a Shiba. But few such mixes have listings.

EDIT: Most of my interest in Pomeranians is because I was introduced to them in a game called Tokyo Jungle. So cute and lovable they are the first carnivore you play as so yeah... I bonded with Pomeranians pretty quickly in that game and sort of mixed my love of them with my pre-existing love of Shibas. Hence my interest in such a mix.

But now I see that could be a bad idea. I'll just get a regular Shiba since Shibas suit where I live more than Pomeranians.
    Post edited by shinken_shiba_kaoru at 2013-03-14 11:01:06
  • MackersMackers
    If you don't like some of the qualities of the Pom breed what is it that interests you about them, that they're smaller and fluffy? While there are general breed traits that you could make base assumptions for with dogs, every dog is different. The best thing to do would be meet breeders and owners though I'd imagine you won't find many making mixes like that outside of backyard breeders
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Why would anyone mix a Shiba and Pomeranian? I don't agree with knowingly producing mixes without a real good basis for why that benefits the resulting mix.

Please don't support mixed dogs just as a goal to get a little bit of what you like from each, this is not the right mentality to take.

Out of 400+ breeds find the breed that has the characteristics that you are looking for and work with a reputable breeder or rescue organization from there.
  • Ah sorry. ^^;
  • Idk, I was thinking it would be cool to have a dog with the body of a Shiba, the fur of a Pomeranian, and attributes of both.

But I do sometimes come up with ideas that sound good on paper but aren't practical in real life.

Again, sorry. :(
  • MikoMiko
    Have you ever seen a wooly/long haired shiba?
    Their are a few member's with long haired shibas. Maybe that would interest you.

Although i don't think they are bred to be long haired, it just happens in some litters.
  • Ah, cool.
  • You will find Shiba mixes out there, typically as the result of accidental breedings. They are usually listed on the Petfinder adoptions under Shiba. (Or check the Pom listings.) Check the Petfinders listings for your area --maybe you will find a Shiba/Pom mix that way -- and you might be able to rescue a dog.
  • Eh, I'd be happy with just a Shiba, having a Pomeranian mix would be a plus though. But if I can't get one locally I would be happy with a regular Shiba because they suit my housing situation.

I would consider getting a Pomeranian to breed it with but no, if I don't think I could handle living with a pregnant woman or a child under 4 years old... I probably couldn't handle taking care of an animal family. And of course there is the hassle of giving the puppies I didn't want to good owners (and people who could handle Shibas at that)... and training the cute little Shiba-Pomeranian puppy I kept... yeah. Not a good idea for me to make one myself. LOL
  • amtiamti

If I were to get such a dog I would want it to be quiet like a Shiba.

I wouldn't consider mine that quite! Kaji is very verbal when he plays. Lots if high pitched yapping when he's excited and playing. Taisho is normally very quiet but very whiny (again high pitched) when he is crated or very happy, usually when I come home and he gets to see me again. He also has a mean big dog bark when people come to the door.

I realize that the mixes sometimes do produce really cute pups, but not all in the litter are that cute. My daughter saw a pomski (husky/pom mix) online and thought it was the cutest thing. She started reading up on them and found out some of the dogs get smaller bodies like the pom and short hair, others get big bodies and long hair, etc... while you might get physical characteristics that you like of both breeds in a mix pup, there is always that chance you will also get the bad personality traits or illnesses. Of course, there is really no guarantee on health or traits on any dog, but if you are looking at one of these types of designer dogs, why not just adopt a mutt at the shelter? They are pretty much the same thing except one comes with a much cheaper price tag and the status that you did something good over being labeled as someone who was taken by the latest fad.
  • SayaSaya
    Yeah if you want a pom shiba mix you'll have check rescue as it sometimes happens, but I'd never support someone purposely breeding for the mix as they're doing it for money and as a gimmick.

There is no need for such a mix.

You can't tell what breed traits the mix would have if quiet you want a shiba is more the breed for you, but even shiba has bad qualities..

Even pups in same litter would have different qualities some more shiba like some more pomaranian like.

Saya is pretty quiet, but when she is wrestling with Bella or playing with me she is loud making growly crazy shiba noises..

She also yodels when my mom comes home or when I make her excited.

If I tell her to go get her she'll growl at my mom or yodel. haha the growl is friendly playful not scary type of growl..

Video quality isn't best as camera wasn't aimed to well where Saya was, but main point was to get noise she makes when she plays with me. I had a fleece glove on and she liked to chase and try get it if I moved it around.

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by Saya at 2013-03-14 10:49:14
  • amti said:

I wouldn't consider mine that quite! Kaji is very verbal when he plays. Lots if high pitched yapping when he's excited and playing. Taisho is normally very quiet but very whiny (again high pitched) when he is crated or very happy, usually when I come home and he gets to see me again. He also has a mean big dog bark when people come to the door.

I realize that the mixes sometimes do produce really cute pups, but not all in the litter are that cute. My daughter saw a pomski (husky/pom mix) online and thought it was the cutest thing. She started reading up on them and found out some of the dogs get smaller bodies like the pom and short hair, others get big bodies and long hair, etc... while you might get physical characteristics that you like of both breeds in a mix pup, there is always that chance you will also get the bad personality traits or illnesses. Of course, there is really no guarantee on health or traits on any dog, but if you are looking at one of these types of designer dogs, why not just adopt a mutt at the shelter? They are pretty much the same thing except one comes with a much cheaper price tag and the status that you did something good over being labeled as someone who was taken by the latest fad.

You folks talked me out of seeking that mix out. lol.
  • RikkaRikka

Now while I am not interested in a pure Pomeranian (from what I know they are kind of loud, and as I stated I live in an apartment building), a Shiba mix interests me. ^^;

There are plenty of mixes on Petfinder. You seem to be from the Oregon area, so this is what I found:

a. Australian Shepherd/Shiba Inu
    b. German Shepherd/Shiba Inu
    c. Siberian Husky/Shiba Inu
    d. Pembroke Corgi/Shiba Inu

The list goes on and on.

Yeah... no. My Shiba is far from quiet. He was the most vocal out of his litter. :P When he's playing with someone, he's loud. When he's watchful, he's loud. If he's not sleeping, he'll let you know he's awake. Working with "Speak", "Whisper", and "Quiet" has worked immensely, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily quiet. It just means he can speak on command.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
    Post edited by Rikka at 2013-03-14 12:19:11
  • Rikka said:

There are plenty of mixes on Petfinder. You seem to be from the Oregon area, so this is what I found:

a. Australian Shepherd/Shiba Inu
    b. German Shepherd/Shiba Inu
    c. Siberian Husky/Shiba Inu
    d. Pembroke Corgi/Shiba Inu

The list goes on and on.

Yeah... no. My Shiba is far from quiet. He was the most vocal out of his litter. The first few months of obtaining him, I had to actually instill teachings and commands for him to realize that he doesn't need to be so loud all the damn time. :P When he's playing with someone, he's loud. When he's watchful, he's loud. If he's not sleeping, he'll let you know he's awake.

Not interested in Shiba mixes anymore. But thanks anyway. :)

I wish people would post in my other thread... :/

• Not interested in Shiba mixes anymore. But thanks anyway. :)

I wish people would post in my other thread... :/

I'll close this thread then. People can give you suggestions in your new thread.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2013-03-14 13:33:04
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)