For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Dog Walker and Vet Recommendations in DC/Northern VA
  • comihacomiha
    Hi all,

After an 8 month wait, I will be bringing home my first Shiba pup over Easter weekend. I am in the process of searching for a dog walker and vet (Arlington area, if possible), and would really appreciate any recommendations/advice/info.

Thanks!

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-03-11 10:29:35
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    I can't offer you any advice on that but can say congrats on the new pup!! Not long to go now!! Very exciting!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • tatonkatatonka
    Hiya.

Curious why dog walker?
    Monkey!
  • comihacomiha
    @Kobe1468 - Thanks very much; I'm really excited.

@tatonka - I'm not so much looking for a dog walker as much as someone to let the pup out at lunch for a potty break. My job site is too far to come back during the day, and unfortunately dog walker seems to be the only solution.
  • tatonkatatonka
    @comiha I wish this kind of service was more popular - I feel like a lot of people would use it. "Go hang out with my dog for an hour".. I'll walk him later, just need somebody to check up on him.
    Monkey!
  • gogogogo
    I've been using Your Dog Smiles and they've been really good for mid-day breaks. I like that you can schedule them online too. Everyone's been very accommodating and thorough.
  • comihacomiha
    @gogo - Thanks for the recommendation! I've been looking at them and Belly Rubs Pet Care. Both are located close, look to have quality staff, reasonable rates, and Belly Rubs has a Puppy Package based on just potty breaks (since I won't be walking the pup outside until it's been fully vaccinated).
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Bump-

Quake and I just had a horrible experience with a Vet that makes house calls. I would like to know if any of you live in DC and can suggest a good vet that actually cares about the pets. I would also like recommendations on a good place for dog training. I do not have a car so a recommendation for Maryland or Northern Virginia will not do me any good. Thanks.
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz

Postitive Dog Trainers:
    District of Columbia

Hedda Garland, CPDT-KA, PMCT, KPA-CTP
    Northwest DC
    www.schoolofdogs.com
    heddagarland@schoolofdogs.com
    202-363-2310
    Private training for manners, behavior issues, therapy and assistance dogs. Works in DC, Takoma Park, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Kensington, Rockville, Potomac, and Silver Spring. Offers Dogs & Storks program for expecting and adopting parents. Teaches children’s classes and camp at YDF.

Phi Beta K-9 School for Dogs
    Penelope Brown, CPDT-KA
    Dupont Circle
    swamidogs@gmail.com
    202-986-1147
    Private training in DC, parts of MD (Silver Spring, Takoma Park , some of Bethesda), and parts of VA. Pet dog training; behavior modification; reactive dogs, some aggression.
    Spot On Training
    Heather Morris, CPDT-KA

Capitol Hill
    www.spotondogtrainingdc.com
    Heather@spotondogtrainingdc.com
202-629-2967
    Training classes at Capitol Hill facility that include basic and puppy classes, reactive dog classes, and mini-series targeting specific issues, like pulling on leash and coming when called. Private training and behavior problem solving. Foster dog classes.

Washington Animal Rescue League
    Oglethorpe St, NW
    www.warl.org
    training@warl.org
    202-726-2556, ext 236
    Manners, based on the CLASS program (www.mydoghasclass.com) and reactive dog classes.

Jennifer Thomas, KPA-CTP
    www.woofsdogtraining.com
    jenniferjanethomas@gmail.com
    202-631-6594
    Private training and behavior modification in DC through WOOFS! Dog Training. Contact through WOOFS! in the Northern VA
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @StaticNfuzz-thanks so very much for all of your recommendations!!!
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Antoinette - I do not have any specific recommendations for vets in DC, but I would contact DCSIR and see if they have a vet that they know of that have Shiba experience.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Sunyata-thanks for an excellent suggestion.
  • Hi @Antoinette

Otto went to puppy classes at Spot on Training. I don't think they are in Capitol Hill anymore. My experience was in the Atlas District, Northeast. They are good and do positive training. I think they also have classes in NW, Palisades area, if I'm not mistaken.

Spot On Training, LLC http://www.spotondogtrainingdc.com/
    508 H Street NE
    Washington, DC 20002

I take him to the District Vet (http://districtvet.com/) and I really like them there. I also got 3 private lessons from Amanda who works with the vet and I highly recommend her. She is excellent and cares deeply about the dogs. She has experience with shibas and Otto loves her.

I only have recommendation for NE, I don't know if that works for you.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Ottotheshba-thanks so much for the recommendations.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Ottotheshiba-I have phoned Spot On Training and left a voicemail and I also filled out their online form. I am looking forward to participating in training with my little boy Quake. Thanks again.
  • That's great! I will be there again on the 25th for a workshop on "leash manners".
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Ottotheshiba-I have not received a return phone call but I believe I may go with the private lessons so that the trainer comes to my home and works with Quake and me. I am waiting to see what the trainer suggests is the best option.
  • @Antoinette, in the end, it's always better to have the private lessons. One hour goes a long way. I like the group just because Otto gets to socialize and learns to pay attention to us even when it's busy (and it's cheaper!), but when it comes to learning, we saw a lot more progress with the trainer. We are actually the ones who need to be trained to use the clicker, give the treat at the right time, etc. and it's good to be corrected and to know when you are doing something wrong.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Ottotheshiba-I received an email from Spot On but they cannot do any training at my home. I do not have a car so I will have to go with another trainer. :(
    @StaticnFuzz-I have contacted School Of Dogs and will be interviewing them to see if they will be a good fit.

I did not receive any response to my email to the DC Shiba Inu Rescue wherein I asked for recommendations for trainers in DC that know how to provide training for Shibas. I will try sending another email.

Thanks again my Shiba Forum community!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    My friend is the President of DCSIR - I will ask and get you a few recommendations @Antoinette
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Kira_Kira-thanks so much!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @Antoinette here is what I have for you so far:

Lisa Arant at Small and Tall Dog Training - positive dog trainer that does in-home training
    http://www.smallandtalldogtraining.com

Unsure if this person travels into DC but she does private in-home training sessions:
    Marnie Montgomery of Joyful Dog LLC
    http://joyfuldogllc.com
    imageimage

• AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Kira_Kira-Thanks so much for the information. I will contact both!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Got one more for you - a fearful Shiba owner used them and loved the positive training they received in-home:

http://kissablecanine.com/
    imageimage

• AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Kira_Kira-thanks so much!
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Kira_Kira-thanks again!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Any luck finding a trainer?
    imageimage

• AntoinetteAntoinette
    @Kira_Kira-I just sent an email to Kissable Canine since they do training at home. I really liked what they had to say on their website so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I did hear back from DCSIR and with some recommendations. They also sent an awesome list of questions to ask a potential trainer. I will be posting those questions on another posting. I think I'm well on my way to finding the right trainer for my Quake. Thanks again for your help @Kira_Kira, @OttotheShiba, and @StaticnFuzz. This is such a wonderful Forum!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)