For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
I may not be around much longer
  • lucylulucylu
    Send the police if you don't see me posting past Thursday. I will be watching not only my dog, but also Guts and Gidget from 4:30 am Thursday morning until 7 pm or so. To top it off I have a soccer game at midnight that night so I'll be on 3 hours of sleep. Now all three dogs get along great, but I'm sure they will find sleeping too boring for them. So, like I said, if I don't make it through this, nice getting to know all of you.

One bit of advice I have is what to do with all of Lucy's toys? She does have some toy and food possession, but it has NEVER been with either guts or gidget. Those are the only two dogs I've ever seen go up to her while she's chewing on something and she ignores them or gladly gives up what she has. Just wondering if it would be a safer idea to just put all of lucy's toys (she has like over 100) away and just let the dogs run around the house and wrestle?
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    If they are anything like my Shibas they will make their own toys--- out of shoes, paper bags, etc. Personally I would at least leave out some tennis balls in case they get bored.
    犬竜
  • BootzBootz
    Haha. If you want it to go as smooth as possible, yes remove all the toys except for basic ones like tennis balls as INU RYUU mentioned...and tug ropes? Anything that squeak I wouldn't leave out....or stuffings. (Kuma stayed over for a night and de-stuffed one of the toys)

Good luck :) but it definitely sounds like fun. It'll prepare you for that second shiba you've been looking for
  • Have fun! And yeah, take up all the toys that may cause problems, like squeak toys or ones with stuffing.
  • LosechLosech
    Haha! I thought like, something bad had happened...
    Anywho, I'll echo what the others have said. Just pick up the toys. Better be safe than have an issue over one of them. I do that when other dogs come to visit since Conker will guard them. With a vengeance.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    LOL Nice, eye-catching title. ;)

Yes, agreed that all food, toys should be out of sight, out of mind, at least at first. It helps that Lucy, Guts, and Gidget are already so familiar with each other, but things change on home turf, as it were. I'm sure it will go just fine though. What fun!
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • GatsuGatsu
    I'll make a list for you lol

- feel free to try the toy thing, but I wouldn't leave gidget and Lucy alone with toys. Gidget likes to take all the toys, don't think Lucy will like that
    -Keep your shoes in a safe spot, gidget is bad
    -Gidget doesn't know when to stop playing, so you'll probably have to break her and Guts up.
    -Gidget may try to door bolt.
    -If you take them anywhere in the car, Gidget will move around a lot if not strapped down. She'll also try to jump over you to get out the door as soon as you guys arrive.
    - Keep an eye on Gidget at all times. ALL TIMES
    -Guts has bad smelling farts.

Also I'm curious as to how long they'll wrestle in your house before they relax.
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2013-03-09 18:05:42
  • GemmaGemma
    Gatsu said:

-Guts has bad smelling farts.

Hahahahahahahaa, this is my favorite point :))

• tatonkatatonka
    Give me Guts. I'll watch him ;)
    Monkey!
  • GatsuGatsu
    lol, I'm telling you guys, Guts and I are gonna invade a Bootz and Tatonka play date one of these days.
  • lucylulucylu
    Guts and gidget wil be different dogs when they come back to you. The lucy household will do that.
  • BootzBootz
    @lucylu haha! That's what I said to @tatonka, and now he can be trusted offleash at the beach!
    @Gatsu a HUGE forum meet up would be nice but difficult since we are all over the US.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger
    Bootz said:

@lucylu haha! That's what I said to @tatonka, and now he can be trusted offleash at the beach!
    @Gatsu a HUGE forum meet up would be nice but difficult since we are all over the US.

We could have a central US location, and see how many people could come...or a place close to where the most shibas are. We should take a poll to see where the most shibas are

I'd be willing to drive about 600mi and make a mini camping vacation out of it.
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
    Post edited by BuckyBadger at 2013-03-11 14:14:22
  • I agree with Bucky.... I love camping with our dogs!!! But that's only if lucylu survives
  • GatsuGatsu
    I'd defiantly be willing to travel if enough people were involved. But I'm so not gonna set up this meet up. You guys can handle that lol. :p
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2013-03-12 01:34:46
  • lucylulucylu
    well guys, I"m still alive....SO FAR!!! I got home at 1:30 am and guts and gidget were promptly dropped off at 5 am. I guess it was wishful thinking that they would all want to sleep right away. I guess it was wishful thinking that they would want to sleep at all.

After having all three dogs I will say while Guts and Lucy are best friends, Lucy and Gidget are IDENTICAL!! They both sit at the top of the damn couch and bark at anything that moves outside. Guts just sits by my side and watches them, never making a sound. As soon as Lucy calms down, Gidget barks. As soon as Gidget calms down, Lucy barks. UGH!!!!!! I just need a little sleep from them!! lol

Also went on a walk for the first time with the three dogs. Lucy and Guts BY FAR walk the best. They almost stay in a heal position the entire time. Gidget? Well I may as well be on roller skates. Found out the best way to walk them is Lucy and Guts in one hand and Gidget in the other. It's been 5 hours. Plenty more to go. Time to open up a Monster (and maybe poor a little vodka in it as well)

Really wish I knew an easy way to post Iphone pictures on here. I do have some good ones of the three dogs.

Also, I'm not used to having dogs that don't eat. Lucy will eat ANYTHING. This morning I took her to a seperate room and fed her her food. Guts and Gidget both have turkey, which lucy would eat in a minute, but both dogs won't touch it. I've tried giving it to them 4 seperate times. They smell it and then go to the room I put lucy in and start scratching at the door.
    Post edited by lucylu at 2013-03-14 11:14:04
  • SayaSaya
    Yeah Saya is a pig too she loves her food raw, cooked or kibble..

Bella too only food she refused to eat is white fish and pheasant luckily I have Saya to gobble that stuff up.

maybe they'll get better next meal since this is their first time being alone without owner.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • lucylulucylu
    There is a god!!!! Or at least a new pope. They are sleeping!!!! Guts and Lucy are cuddled up together on the couch and gidget looks like she died on the floor.
  • RikkaRikka
    LOL. Glad things are going well for you. :)
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • lucylulucylu
    For those that want to see pictures I guess check out the Nihon ken Facebook page
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Boo! I'm too lazy hahahah Jk I'll look in a bit :)
  • RikkaRikka
    I'll post it for ya. ;)

Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • BootzBootz
    awww :) I'm glad you had a blast.
    This is one of the reasons why I love this forum! It made it possible for us to connect with other shiba owners.

Did you scare anybody off when you walked all 3 down the street? lol
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Bahahahah thank you @rikka !!!
  • lucylulucylu
    Three people stopped me on my walk. Mostly asking why I got two more dogs. I will say the red looking guts and Lucy are more popular than the skunk looking gidget. It's been fun. I can relax now too. Guts and Lucy are curled up together in my legs nod gidget is sleeping on the other couch. Peace and quiet!!!!
  • SayaSaya
    Anyone on facebook need to join the Nihon ken Facebook page. hehe :)
    Photobucket
  • SHIBA TAKEOVER!!! haha i love it
  • GatsuGatsu
    For the record there are times when I get stopped with guts and gidget, and gidget gets all the attention
  • GatsuGatsu
    Well the reason why Lucylu was watching the shibas for me, was because I had to go pick up my dad who has been away for over 2 months. The Shibas love my dad. So we had my dad wait in the house, while I brought in the shibas in one by one for their reunion. Guts barely acknowledge my dad. I really thought Guts would gonna cry and jump around in happiness. Gidget was happy to see my dad, but it was pretty typical Gidget. What a disappointment. lol I thought I was gonna have youtube gold.

But before that when I went to pick up guts and gidget. I walked up to lucy's house and lucy and Gidget pop their heads up in the window as I was walking to the door. As soon as they seen me they started to bark their little heads off. They're so cute together.
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2013-03-14 19:29:42
  • SayaSaya
    Haha I was gone for a week in Louisiana once and when I got back Saya acted like I've always been there.

She acted more excited to see me when I was gone for week in Arizona as she was boarded not being watched by family. Poor Saya looked so stressed out when I picked her up no wonder she was happy to see me.

Poor girl took couple weeks to recover from it. :\

Your lucky to have someone near you who can take care of your dogs all my family nearby have zero clue with taking care of dogs plus I'd worry about them letting Saya off leash because they know I do it..

I trust Saya off leash in my yard and field, but I'm with her and she listens better with me or my mom compared to other people.
    Photobucket
  • amtiamti
    Glad you survived! lol! Love the photo of the three sets of shiba ears looking out the window!

As far as the dogs not acknowledging your dad, my mom's dog did that to her when she went on a diving trip for a week. My dad stayed home with the dog, but the dog was clearly mom's baby. When mom came home, the dog showed some excitement, and then ignored her until the next day. She was clearly giving mom the cold shoulder. Wouldn't come for any treat or bribe. It only lasted a day though. Doggies love their mommys. :)
  • tatonkatatonka
    It's a Shiba posse!
    Monkey!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)