For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Skijoring with a Shiba
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    I know winter is ending but wanted some input for next winter, as Kobe will be an adult. I loved Skijoring with my Siberian. It was such a fun and healthy activity for both of us! Wondering if anyone here has tried it with a Shiba? I know a Shiba wouldn't be able to offer the same pulling power as a Sibe, nor would he have the same endurance level but in shorter more laid back sessions wondering if he could do it? I don't think teaching him the commands would be an issue. If anyone has any experiences to share I'd love to hear them!! Thanks!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • LosechLosech
    I've never tried it with Conker (can't have him pull, he's got a bad knee) but he does know directional commands. I just started saying "left" and "right" when we turned corners on walks or took a fork on a hiking trail. He got it eventually. He's also got a load of endurance. You just have to slowly build that up over time.

If you want a proper pulling harness, you can order custom-sized one here:
    http://alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/default.asp
    They are very high-quality and really durable. They also have joring equipment.
  • JuniJuni
    I have been skiing a couple of times with Juni. She was slightly weary of the ski poles at first and ran here and there in pursue of squirrels and other animals. But on the way home she ran nicer in front of me at a nice pace and even pulling a bit. She only wore her regular harness and I tied a long leash to my waist (not very comfortable).
  • They're kind of small to do any real pulling (even my big Shiba is smaller than the average sprint dog), but then again, if it's more about having fun, and having your dog go along with you, then why not?

I used to ski with my Akita years ago. She had a regular pulling harness (we lived in alaska--it was easy to get one!). she was great for a burst of speed, but then she got tired fast. I actually had more luck with her, later, pulling a sled with my groceries/water on it....she was better at weight pulling, it turned out!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    @Losech, thanks for the alpineoutfitters link. I think I might work with him a bit over the summer with the directional stuff. Can practice it during our jogs!
    @Juni, I'm glad to see that someone has tried it. I've always just used a rock climbing harness for myself and a 8 ft. lead. Just have to get a Shiba sized harness! Thanks for sharing your experience!!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    @shibamistress...I agree that he won't provide much pulling power, if any. Would be just for fun and good exercise for both of us!! I wish I would have had a sled for my Sibe to have pulled like that. He would have enjoyed it!! Thanks!!
  • JuniJuni
    She got used to my skis and poles but barked at other skiers... And of course I didn't expect her to be able to pull me completely but we had some lovely time in the woods.
  • I didn't even have a real sled. I just had a plastic sled that I used myself to haul water (I had no running water so had to bring it in, and it was a bit of a walk from my driveway to my cabin). I just attached ski-joring rig to it, and she pulled. It was more fun that useful, but she did seem to enjoy it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)