For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Orijen food change
  • wufanwufan
    As usual I ordered 4 bags of orijen puppy food and was told that they have changed the packaging (instead of 5.5lbs now it's 5lbs a bag) and slightly changed the formula (I did not notice any major change). But while I was reading the chart, I noticed it's huge change on the feeding guide. Instead of list the puppy weight now they add expected adult weight and categorize by size. So according to the new chart, shiba falls into 20lbs medium size and at the weight of my puppy, he needs only 1 cup of kibble a day. (The old orijen says 2 cups!)

Now I am confused. Is it because they changed the gradients? or it's because the old chart was not accurate and they corrected it. But anyway I have noticed that my 6.5 month shiba has been eating less (1 cup barely a day) on the old Orijen. So I am relieved to see the new feeding guide. I will start using it today hopefully it's still good food for him.
    Post edited by wufan at 2013-03-08 11:34:20
  • ArcticArctic
    I haven't gotten a new bag of Orijen although I will soon since I'm almost out, although I will say that I feed my puppy half raw and half Orijen, and her half a day's worth is a half cup. So she'd only get 1 full cup a day if that's all she was eating so those guidelines already seem pretty in line with what I've followed based on the packaging before.
  • wufanwufan
    @arctic How much does your shiba weigh? My puppy is at 20lbs now. So the old Orijen package says I need to feed him 2 - 2 3/4 cups. The new orijen package lists 20lbs shiba needs 1 cup.

Since you mentioned that, I checked the new bag again. It's interesting now any shiba from 10lbs to 22lbs all eat 1 cup according to the chart. So I have been feeding too much to my dog.. no wonder he is little chubby dude now..
  • ArcticArctic
    She is nine months old and weighs 18 pounds and seemed to have stopped gaining weight, going by weigh-ins over the course of the last couple of months. She gets 4 ounces or raw and a half cup of Six Fish a day, and she's always maintained a healthy weight.
  • BootzBootz
    @wufan, friendly reminder. the chart on the bag are GUIDELINES. don't take it too literal. You have to change it according to your dog; how much treat he gets, how active he is, how quickly he puts on weight. Look/feel your shibas body and if adjust accordingly if he feels heavy/thin.

@Artic Bootz is at 30 pounds and I feed her 5-6 oz raw with 3/4 cup of TOTW kibble....although she has been refusing the TOTW kibble...I might try Orijen to see if it sits well with her. But looks like we have similar feeding ratios. :)
  • ArcticArctic
    Yeah it seems to be a similar breakdown! For what it's worth, I was feeding Sansa TOTW and raw and eventually she stopped eating the TOTW after I introduced the raw. She'd barely touch it.

I got a bag of Orijen and from the first day she ate it all, usually in one sitting or at a short interval, and totally dry too. It was the first time I saw her legitimately excited about her kibble. I say give Orijen a shot! I bet Bootz will love it :)
    Post edited by Arctic at 2013-03-08 13:30:43
  • BootzBootz
    @Artic, omg. THANK YOU for that piece of information.

Same thing happen with Bootz. Gave her raw + TOTW...she stopped touching the TOTW. I even bought a bag of FROMM to see how she'd do. She's not crazy about it, but with time she ate it plain and cleaned the bowl....so my bf and I are thinking of trying Orijen and just switching between the 5 lb bags. Which one did Sansa like best? I was thinking of trying regional red first.
  • ArcticArctic
    Yeah I used to have to wet the TOTW and she would only graze on it but the Orijen, she chows down on it as soon as I put it down! Around dinner time she likes it enough to work for pieces of it through training, something that she never did on the TOTW.

I went with the Six Fish to start since Sansa had been on the pacific stream TOTW and I wanted to keep her on a fish-based kibble. It's super stinky, smells noticeably of fish as soon as you open the bag which I'm pretty sure just means its delicious for dogs. The stinkier the better, right? She would barely touch her wet TOTW but she has no problem eating Orijen dry and like I said she usually either eats it all immediately or eats most of it and finishes it before long, whereas before I'd always find myself throwing out half-eaten bowls of damp TOTW.

I want to try Regional Red as my next bag, but I can absolutely vouch for Six Fish. Sansa goes crazy for it.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    One of my dogs eats anything so far (my newer pup), my older pickier dog seems okay with TOTW, but really he has never been food motivated even mixing in canned Wellness Core.

Unfortunately, I don't believe I can switch to these other brands like Orijen to try to find one he likes better. We had soft poo issues for awhile and they only improved when we lowered the protein %age in the kibble. Before TOTW kibble we had tried Blue Buffalo and Wellness Core. The Wellness Core we used had 34% protein and 16% fat vs moving to the TOTW that has 29% protein and 15% fat and he seems to be doing okay now.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Luckily for me, Kuma will eat anything an everything... Including hair, you stuffing, his own loose fur, socks, and rocks, definitely rocks.
    No soft stool problem luckily
  • BootzBootz
    @Artic, ok that sounds good. I'll try that then. I hope the change is worth it. As the price different is ENOURMOUS. 4-5 lb of FROMM is $12.50 5lb of Orijen is $21.99
    >_> I honestly rather pay for the FROMM but if this will make Bootz eat kibble then so be it!
  • ArcticArctic
    @Bootz, I hear you, it's pricey. For what it's worth, though, I will say that it lasts, a good amount of time. I bought a 15 pound bag in early December and right now, it still has probably another months' worth. Granted Sansa is on the smaller side and also gets raw, but it still had lasted a long while.
  • BootzBootz
    @Arctic, we were gonna make her premade/raw a permanent thing. But we will try this out first since its definitely cheaper
  • HanakoHanako
    the new puppy formula has slightly different nutrition percentages than the old one, the ingredients are slighly different too/rearranged.

lower protein, calcium, phosphorous and more fiber.

I honestly think orijen's feeding guidelines are totally off, Hanako was supposed to be eating around 2-2.25 cups a day when she was 4 months or so. She really only eats 1-1.5 cups a day

she's 25 weeks and weighs in at 26lb....

a 15lb bag for $50 lasts me 2-3 months or so btw

@wufan how old is your puppy? how much do you feed a day? which bag do you buy and how long does it last?

@bootz have you looked into acana? or canidae? I could've brought some puppy orijen at one of our meetups and see if bootz like it..... :O I bet the next time we meet, she's going to be bigger than bootz haha
    Post edited by Hanako at 2013-03-08 23:17:15
  • amtiamti
    I'm not at home now to verify, but I'm feeding Innova puppy to Kaji and grain free to Taisho, mixing it half and half for Kaji though. Kaji is 8 months old and I believe it said to feed about 2 cups. Taisho (almost 3) is about 1 -1 1/2 cups a day. If I only fed Kaji or Taisho a cup a day, they would starve, or at least convince me they were starving. As it is now, Kaji is always bringing me his and Taisho's food bowls when they are hungry.
  • BootzBootz
    @Hanako, since we have to wait until after her heat, yeah she's gonna be bigger than Bootz. I think Bootz will warm up to Hanako eventually due to her size. :)

I haven't tried any of the kibble you mentioned. But now that you mentioned it...I'm wondering if I should try Acana first and work my way up to Orijen since Acana has lower protein %

:( darn decisions!
  • ArcticArctic
    @Bootz, if you're feeding Bootz some raw, especially if it's become a regular thing, regular Orijen shouldn't be a problem, should it?
  • HanakoHanako
    @Bootz canidae has a lower protein plus they can out with a new grain free formula, $10 for 5lb at my local store. Not as good as Orijen but comparable or slightly below acana

Apparently wellness core and blue freedom are good brands that aren't too expensive, they're sold at petsmart, both listed as 6 star kibble
    Post edited by Hanako at 2013-03-09 01:57:54
  • BootzBootz
    @Artic, you brought up an interesting point.

@Hanako, price isn't an issue as long as it gets Bootz to eat the kibble. What I'm trying to avoid is full raw (for now). Half and half is what I want, and I need a kibble that will not need any toppings to entice her to eat it.
  • HanakoHanako
    Instinct raw boost, it's kibble + raw freeze dried bits

Hanako's going to get that once she turns a year
  • BootzBootz
    I think somebody tried that on this forum and didn't like it o.o but I'll go window Shopping this weekend. Kibble is low on TOTW.

What store do you shop at that is cheap? I'll be in Fremont today!
  • lucylulucylu
    A little off topic, but Lucy eats everything. Training her is a breeze because she is so food motivated. I've had her for about a year and half on Acana grain free. I switch the protein sources up with every 5 lb bag and do it cold turkey. Now she's doing fine on it, and eating it with no problems. I, however, am getting bored buying acana and was thinking about buying a bag of Orijen to see how she does on that. Because she has no problem eating whatever, would it be ok to switch it over cold turkey or should I still do the gradual transition? Or am I out of my mind and should stay with the Acana?

5lb bags last me quite a while since I feed premade raw at night.
    Post edited by lucylu at 2013-03-09 11:39:33
  • BootzBootz
    @lucylu, they're the same company but I would just do a slow transition to play it safe. Runny poo poo is no fun!
  • wufanwufan
    @Hanako I totally agree with you. The older chart was off. My pup is now 6.5 months, he weighs 20.5 lbs. And that weight was the result of me following the guideline by feeding him a little less than 2 cups a day until he refused to eat more. :( A 5.5 lbs bag lasted for 10 to 12 days. Now he eats only one cup a day plus some treats. He is healthy though just not slim a little sturdy hehe.
  • wufanwufan
    @Bootz I use chewy.com It's a very good place to shop at least for me. The price is reasonable and they set auto shipment and take discount on that. Also they call you if there is any change to the food, and compensate any loss. Last time they shipped 3 bags of 5.5lbs for a substitute for 1 bag of 15.4lbs because it was in shortage. And this time they charged less for 4 5lbs bags because of the weight change. 5lbs orijen is listed $18.99 on the website.
    Post edited by wufan at 2013-03-09 21:34:07
  • HanakoHanako
    @bootz I didn't see your post till now....
  • BootzBootz
    @wufan, thanks for the website, but it's pricier than others I've seen by $3 for 5 lb bags.

@Hanako, haha it's ok I was gonna ask Mark to text you but I was on a tight schedule today. I think I'll try Acana since Bootz is not active and won't need the protein content in Orijen. I've looked up Canidae before, I forgot what I read but I wasn't too impressed by that brand.
  • tatonkatatonka
  • BootzBootz
    Just an update....I found a small store that sold kibble a little cheaper than average stores. Since they didn't have Orijen or Acana, I decided to pick up a bag of wellness core (4 lb) Bootz sniffed at it and loved the smell. So i mixed a tiny bit of it into her TOTW breakfast. She cleaned the bowl. Later that night I gave her the wellness core mixed with TOTW. She turned it down. Hand fed her a welness core kibble...she turned it down. She skipped dinner...and even breakfast this morning.

I guess I will be trying Acana and Orijen next.... :(

Edit: @Tatonka jynxed it by mentioning Honeymoon period!
    Post edited by Bootz at 2013-03-12 16:18:17
  • Yoshi_BlyYoshi_Bly
    Originally had my puppy eating Life's Abundance due to that being the breeder's original choice, but got a free back of blue wilderness and mixed that. Then yesterday I bought orijen due to the popularity and now my dog is eating a mixture of orijen, blue wilderness, and life's abundance. So every meal he get's a split amount of each to fulfil 1.5 cups a day.
  • HanakoHanako
    @bootz Hanako's the same way haha. I had a coupon for a free bag of wellness core and she loved it the first day. Now she won't touch it unless she's starving...

I'm curious if they really do need to eat every day or might be fine eating one meal a day.

edit: Hanako's either gonna be bigger or the same size as bootz.....
    Post edited by Hanako at 2013-03-12 21:50:10
  • I'm thinking about switching Hiiro to Orijen. I just wanted to double check, so they changed some of the food and now you only have to feed 1 cup of puppy food a day instead of 2?
  • Yoshi_BlyYoshi_Bly
    @notoriousscrat

I bought it from amazon
  • ArcticArctic
    I'm about to order some more dog food, and I want to rotate kibble from Orijen Six Fish to Regional Red for the sake of variety. Sansa loves Six Fish and hopefully is just as crazy as Regional Red.

My question is: do I need to transition the food, or is it fine to just switch since it's the same brand as what she's eating now and the same protein level and all of that?
  • BootzBootz
    @Arctic, I heard quite a feel people switch between proteins within the same brand cold turkey and their stools or just fine. Bootz does it just fine. Just try it, if it doesn't work out then you'll know to do a slow transition for future reference lol.
  • SayaSaya
  • ArcticArctic
    @Bootz, that's what I thought. That most people have no issues switching between proteins within the same brand. Ill probably just try it cold turkey. I think she'll be fine. Hopefully she's as much of a fan of the Regional Red as the Six Fish. Also, obvious comment I know, but dear lord Orijen is expensive lol.
  • BootzBootz
    @Arctic, Haha. I haven't even tried Orijen/Acana yet but I know it'll hurt my wallet. Although Orijen/Acana is still better than buying premade raw (which ran me about $120/month)

I have to wait until I get through this NEWLY opened 4 lb bag of wellness core :( Then i'll try Acana/Orijen. If those fail as well then i'll just have to accept the fact Bootz will only eat raw. XD
  • ArcticArctic
    @Bootz, well there are worst things than only raw! I just hope Red is as tasty to Sansa as the fish. The fish is so stinky that it must be good. Hopefully Red lives up to that.

And yeah, these dogs will eat us out of house and home if we let them. But I shouldn't really complain. The 15 pounds bag was $53 last time I bought it and it lasted me from right before Halloween until now. Five months, not bad!
  • EmiChanEmiChan
    @Bootz, the cost of switching to Orijen or Acana may not be any different. Pound for pound, they are more expensive, but not based on per serving. Theoretically, if you look just at serving size, Orjien is among the cheaper brands compared to bargain brands and others (see link below). Granted, every dog is different and they may be greedy little devils with their food. :) But don't fret too much, going to Orijen might not hit the wallet like you think. Let us know what you find out after the Wellness Core if she will eat the Orijen/Acana. :)

I switched Emi from Science Diet (don't judge! Wasn't educated yet!) to Orijen and she went from eating 1.5 cups a day of the SD to 0.75-1 cup a day of the Orijen. I'm lucky that the pet store I go to near me sells Acana/Orijen among other great stuff and prices are about the same as Amazon.

http://www.naturalnews.com/024337_food_dog_pet.html
    Post edited by EmiChan at 2013-03-18 15:43:47
  • BootzBootz
    @EmiChan,

I compared TOTW to Wellness CORE to FROMM to Orijen. The serving size is the same...Price-wise TOTW is cheapest, then FROMM then Wellness Core and Orijen is most expensive o_O
  • EmiChanEmiChan
    Well bummer. :/ Still beats $120/month!
  • BootzBootz
    It will only beat $120/month if Bootz likes Acana/Orijen. If not then I will have to thoroghly research Raw Diets and possibly invest in an electric meat grinder :(
  • MayamaMayama
    Post edited by Mayama at 2013-05-02 17:58:59
  • BootzBootz
    @Mayama I was going to ask about the freeze dried dog treats o_o I just saw them on doggyloot. Anybody tried them? Its only 2 x 2 oz bags...so i don't know if $16 is worth it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)