For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Odd behavior: does your shiba like rubbing him/herself in poop?
  • I have two shibas: a female whose 13 months and a male whose 9 months. Recently, I've noticed that my oldest shiba, Pepper, has developed an odd behavior. Whenever we go on walks or jogs and she finds droppings in grass, she loves to roll herself in it. She does a nose plunge into the grass to ensure that the droppings are properly coated in her fur and harness. Now, I'm confused because I had always thought that shibas were known to be clean. As a puppy, she has always been super picky of where she goes to eliminate. It had to be somewhere fragrantly. There's nothing less fragrant than poop submerged in her coat.

Does anyone else's shiba do this or is it just mine? :-/ How can I correct this? She hates baths, but it's hard not to give her one when she's constantly rolling around in poop. 0_o
    Post edited by seastar135 at 2013-03-02 19:51:24
  • LosechLosech
    This is in no way odd. it's a natural canid behavior. It could be a way of bringing interesting scents home for the rest of the family to investigate (as wolves do) or maybe the dog just likes the smell of whatever they're rollin in. There may be other reasons but i can't remember.

Anywho, I don't really know how to stop it other than catching the dog in the act and redirecting them to something else. A treat, or toy, or whatever works to get their attention off rolling in nasty stuff.
  • @Losech, Interesting! I never thought of it that way, but it would make sense. I'll try that next time. :)
  • LaurenLauren
    Ugh. Honey does this too.

Went over to my parents' for Xmas eve/day. Got both of them all prettied up, bath/nails/etc. She was fine Xmas eve, but then we went back over the next day and she went out in their backyard and I must have missed it on my quick sweep through, but she found some droppings from a raccoon or cat, who knows... but managed to smear it all over the side of her face before I was able to run over and stop her. Had to pick her up, hold her away from me, and walk through everyone to go take her upstairs to bath her down... Classy.
  • curlytailscurlytails
    Oh geez, if only it were a mere aberration, and not a completely natural, instinctual behavior. LOL. But I hear you on what a pain in the ass it is... Bowdu won't bother with other dogs, cats, or carnivore poop it seems. But horse poop? THE MOST HEAVENLY GROUND PERFUME EVER.

Roll of 28, Day Fifteen: Simply irresistibleHorse poop jackpot!!!

Yeah, just look at that self-satisfied Shiba grin. UGH.

I figure the only way to correct this behavior is to smack myself in the head while repeating, WHY did I give him free rein in a place that I KNOW has horse poop?? WHY? WHY?

Luckily, he accepts baths without complaint...
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-03-02 22:43:00
  • Oh yeah. Deer musk especially. There's no warning either. He just flings himself down in it.
  • This is the other reason why Shibas belong on a leash. ;) Whenever I see Zim sniffing the ground too intently, I start walking. That's my advice about how to avoid it.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Kobe hasn't done this YET, but my Sibe loved doing this!! Living out in the country there are so many wonderful scents he'd bring home!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • SayaSaya
    Bella my parent's boxer loves to roll in coyote poop..

Saya only has rolled in grass no poo.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • My Dals used to like to roll in dead salmon that had washed up along our local river.
    Oh fun!
    INU did it and Penny followed. My angels with dirty faces ended up with instant baths when we got home. They usually roll their faces on grass not feces which caught me off guard.
  • Dead slugs too. Those are the best!
  • DebDeb
    shit-nell number 5, the doggie version
  • @Deb, that is creative!! I love it! Hahah.

Dogs are the silliest. :) Endless ball of fun.
  • DebDeb
    @seastar135, Thanks! I never met a dog that wouldn't at some point " splash a little on" and the horse buns are always a fav.
  • RyanRyan
    Suki loves roo shit. He will give me a maniacal grin and then next second, his neck will be rubbed in it, all the while grinning. I NEVER tell him off for this, I know the pause and grin all too well, if it happens, it's my fault. I know to start running when he does it.
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • DaghainDaghain
    Mine tries to EAT the poop she finds, even her own on occasion. I really have to watch where she is sniffing. I blame the fact that she was a puppy mill dog. Luckily she's on a leash and I can stop her if I see it coming. But the first time she did it I didn't see it coming...GROSS!
  • So glad to see my shiba is not alone. Apparently, She found her first roll in dung in central park's grass so great and 'helpful' in her attempted hunts for squirrels that once she tried to roll in dung on the cement sidewalk right before we got to the park entrance. It's quite embarrassing walking down fifth ave smelling like dung but she wears it proudly! Lol. Now I watch her like a hawk when she starts sniffing like crazy in one spot.
  • amtiamti
    Mine likes to eat the chicken poop so he can no longer go where the chickens roam. Kaji has ever laid in poop, but he has lovingly rubbed himself stinky with a forgotten Easter egg and a dead frog (different times). We don't travel roads with horse or cow manure, but I can see how that would be very tempting for a dog!
  • MamaYokoMamaYoko
    My shiba Yoko, for about a month, was OBSESSED with rolling in dead baby birds! It was seriously more awful smelling than poop, in my opinion. She did that twice in one week. Other times, it was dirt. Yoko is typically very clean, but when it comes to rolling in smelly things, cleanliness goes out the window. Our new shiba Sienna has been rolling in my dirty clothes...she loves to "help me" when I sort through laundry. From what I have heard, rolling in smelly things is how shibas mask their scent, or something. I have no idea what it means, but that's what I've been told.
  • glitchglitch
    Kazu rolls is stuff a lot.. We went to a farm once and he found the biggest pile of horse poo and he rolled in it and chewed it and tore it up like it was a toy. Then when I ran over to try grabbing him he ran behind a tree and found a dead pigeon and went on to roll on that too. ughh.. we had to give him a long bath and had to keep him on leash the rest of the evening. It's really too bad, he was enjoying his freedom and actually doing really good with being off leash until he found the poo. :\
  • JuniJuni
    Oh no, my little princess would never do that....

(and this is how she was punished for no good reason whatsoever...)
  • SayaSaya
    Haha Juni love the pics. White dogs do love getting dirty.

Bella our white boxer loves rolling in deer, coyote poop and who knows what else..

She'll eat deer poop too.. Luckily she is getting better with it, but she'll try sneak a bit once in a while.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • micomico
    We discovered a fox had pooed in our garden when Suki went out for her bedtime wee and came in covered in the revolting stuff. Bathing a dog then cleaning the bathroom after 11pm is not fun when you're up for work at 6am.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    My Shiba is truly a diva, she turns her nose up at gross stuff like that. If she comes across someone else's pile, she hesitates and quickly moves away from it like it will contaminate her for sniffing it!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • I find it funny that mine have to roll on dried up dead worms. Do they even have a scent? I guess something that only they can smell. But I'll take rolling on dead worms over rolling in poop any day.
    Back from the dead... Sorry.

My Lotus has done this twice. Once into poop and today into a dead caterpillar/plant. When I tried to stop her she did it again. Nose/body slam into the ground. So odd, but at least I'm not alone!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Lots of different theories...not sure anybody knows for sure why they do it...but a good blog post...
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    My Quake likes to roll around in bird poop!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)