For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Second dog advice
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    I have been wanting a second dog for a long time! My husband is up for a big promotion. He will know by next week. He told me last night that if he gets it, which he should, I can finally get our next family member. Advice on breeds would be appriciated. As much as I would love to adopt an adult dog I think we will go with a puppy from a reputable breeder. I am just really stuck on a breed. Keep in mind I have my shiba girl, 2 cats, and a 4 year old human child. I want a dog 60lbs to 100lbs or so. I am home alone all day with my son and we walk every day. My shiba is a person magnet and no one would be afraid of her. I would like a breed that people would think twice about before approaching us or our home. I was considering a Doberman. They are gorgeous and so trainable. I have only met one though. Anyone else owned one? Any other breed suggestions? I will continue doing my research.

Just to add on we were also looking at German Shepherds.

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-03-01 09:09:00
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    How about a Rottie? :)
  • sunyatasunyata
    @britkotsu - There is an ENTIRE category on the forum related to this topic:
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/categories/other-breeds

Feel free to browse the threads there and see what other have to say about what breeds work best with Shibas.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • hellocarohellocaro
    Why not keep it in the nihon ken family and go with an akita ;)
  • TrishTrish
    I agree with @hellocaro or even a Kai Ken!
  • RikkaRikka
    I want a dog 60lbs to 100lbs or so. I would like a breed that people would think twice about before approaching us or our home.

Within the Nihon Ken group, I'd probably say an Akita would be a good fit.

I would also vouch for a Rottweiler. Rotties are amazing family dogs, kind-hearted, lovable creatures while also being intensely protective and, well, no one would mess with you. I've wanted one even before I obtained my Shiba, but due to differences on what kind of breeds my partner likes, I was more or less forced to choose something smaller. ;)
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • BootzBootz
    I would vote for Rottweiler or German Shepard!

If you want a dog that will deter people from your house, you just need one that barks when they hear strangers to be honest lol. Jackie (a tiny little shihtzu mix) scares a lot of people off because she's loud. Its like a car alarm. If somebody wants to steal your car and the alarm went off, LOTS of people would be looking, and the car will be safe. I think German shepard is a good one since they are VERY protective of their home and are very verbal.

Rottweilers will definitely scare people off just by looks ;) But I don't have any personal experience with them.

Good luck!
  • I agree with an Akita or Rottie, I don't like Dobies much. I would NOT recommend a German Shepard, I love them to death but they are very much a working dog and basic walking wouldn't be enough for him and he may end up "Shepherding" your 4yr old =/
  • GemmaGemma
    I love dobes! We have 3 that come into my boarding kennels and they are all treasures! :x although active and energetic they do generally seem to be alot more placid and chilled than GSD's :) And although protective, they are less suspicious than a breed like a GSD, not to mention the lack of grooming you'd have to do ;) If you want a dobe, then go for it :) they tend to be pretty dog tolerable aswell (obviously this is also very dependent on socializing) Just do more research and try to meet more of the breed :)

This being said, my favorite breed after a shiba is a GSD and I very much intend on getting a straight backed male to join the family when the time is right :)
  • BootzBootz
    @KitsuneSakakino I think a lot of people are worried about that in herding breeds. But with the right training, they can be taught it is not an acceptable behavior :)
  • GemmaGemma
    @bootz when they finally started making the German Shepherd a breed of it's own, by attempting to create purebred lines, they weren't really used for herding anymore, and modern dogs don't really possess typical "herding behaviors" that you might see in breeds like border collies :) But that being said they are still definitely a working breed, so I understand where @KitsuneSakakino is coming from, but herding behaviors aren't really a prevalent trait in the breed, it's the over guarding and heavy stranger socialization that needs to be worked on most with 'sheps :)
  • BootzBootz
    @Gemma, my comment was in response to what KitsuneSakakino said about the GS herding the kid. I hear that quite often as the reason why people DONT want shelties, collies, Australian shepherds and such.
  • Corgis too! I love GS Dogs myself, but as a mom of a 4 yr old myself I know it would be way to stressful. It makes me sad to see so many German Shepherd and Huskies up for adoption because families didn't realize how much work they were going to be And how destructive they can be when not kept busy enough =(
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Any type of "smaller" mastiff would be a great choice for family protection, American bulldog, Cane Corso, or even a pitbull if all you are wanting is something that looks tough.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • GemmaGemma
    @KitsuneSakakino omg yes corgis! When I was first looking into getting a dog it was between a corgi and a shiba! Love corgis :D I know, it's sad when people get high energy dogs without doing the proper research into just how much work they can be :(
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    I'm not really worried about training and socialization. I am a certified basic obedience instructor and we have many friends who bring their dogs to play at our home so positive socialization shouldn't be an issue. I guess with my shiba I just knew what I wanted. It is strange to not know what I want. My husband would prefer a dog that is very trainable and can be trusted off leash but since I am the one doing most of the care and training he has left the decision up to me. His only requirement is that it be a larger dog that will protect us if necessary, or at least deter people. If it was just for me I would go with an Akita honestly. I'm just not sure if that would be the most prudent choice for the entire family.
    I really need to meet some more Akitas, GSDs, and Dobbies to get a better feel. While working at a kennel for 7 years I only met 2 Akitas. One I adored the other drove me crazy. The same with dobermans. I met a lot of GSDs. A few were wonderful but most had serious issues, anxiety, dog aggression etc. I would like to see some well bred, well raised dogs to see what each should be.
  • American Akitas are big--80-110 pounds. If you get an Akita, you probably need to get a puppy, not an older rescue, because it's hard to get an Akita to adjust to other dogs, cats, kids. They're great dogs, and can adjust to all that, but it will not be automatic, and many adults may already be more set in their ways. And I would say that when people say Akitas are not usually tolerant of other dogs, do pay attention to that. The first two years are easy, and they seem to get along ok, but they really do become much less tolerant as adults, and they are BIG so it takes much more vigilance to handle them. While they seem to adjust to their own family ok, we still have to regulate scuffles (because an Akita can really hurt a smaller dog like a Shiba, even if the scuffle is not serious, simply because of the size differential), mine is not tolerant of strange dogs at all. And as Akita people say, an Akita will not start a fight, but they will finish it, and so we do have to manage potential problems (usually started by a Shiba) in our household. Japanese Akitas are smaller, but more rare and would be harder to get, and I personally am a bit suspicious of their overall health, given how few are in the US.

Kai Ken are wonderful, but are not at all protective, are not big, and would not be a good match for what you're looking for.

GSDs have a lot of health issues, as do Dobies. It would be harder to find a healthy one, but is possible. Most GSDs do little to no herding (as noted above) but I've noticed that it's hard to find with a steady temperament these days (you'd have to do the same kind of careful search you do with finding a good Shiba breeder), and the ones with off temperaments are kind of a disaster (I was looking at them in the fall with a friend and just ran into a lot of problem GSDs).

I agree with Lindsay that a mastiff type might be good for what you want or a pittie type--American bulldog or amstaff or something, if you don't live in a place where there is breed specific legislation.

Also, do you want to do dog sports or run with a dog or something like that? Maybe some of the Belgians might fit in if so--Malinois or Tervuyen (however you spell that), though they'd be a bad fit if you didn't want to be super active with them.

And I think you should decide if you really want a protective dog or what that just looks offputting. If you really want a guardian dog, go with a LGD of some sort or a mastiff type.
  • Koji's momKoji's mom
    Two cents: I grew up with GSD's until I left home and they were WONDERFUL...Yes you would have to find an excellent breeder and maybe it is worse than when my mother raised them.

My dogs pulled me on roller skates, I dressed them up, slept with them they put up with anything from me and my friends, BUT they would "hold" people they didn't know or trust..

Mom came home couple of times with me happily playing on the floor and Gretchen had the poor gas man or someone pinned against the wall (just staring and making it clear don't do anything funny - never attacked because wasn't necessary)

I looove them and have known many well bred GSDs I've never known them to herd...Yes we walked them and my mom always went through long puppy hood of training, but I don't remember them being overly "needing to work"...again, breeding would be so important...I have such fond memories of growing up with them -

My mother decided on them after my parents divorced and her and I were living alone in a place with crime and we never had any problems :)

EDIT PS>> as others have said Bully's are wonderful too...and have had friends with Rotties and they all say they are silly clowns at home with the family....
    Post edited by Koji's mom at 2013-03-02 13:29:14
  • LaRen616LaRen616
    I have a 4.5 year old male German Shepherd, he is the love of my life and the best dog ever. I seriously cannot tell you how many times I have heard that he is the best behaved dog that someone has ever met or that he is the smartest, or that he is so good looking, he is AMAZING and there isn't anything I wouldn't do for him. Next to my mother he is the one thing I love the most. Words cannot express my love for this wonderful guy. Describing him makes me teary eyed, he is my best friend, my companion, my shadow, my bodyguard, my partner in crime and he's the reason why I get up in the morning. He already showed that he would protect me when 2 crackheads approached me in the alley behind my house. He is the most loyal, loving, devoted animal I have ever encountered. His whole attitude is "what can I do for you" he always does what I ask of him even when he is unsure and scared he still does it. He is great with commands, bombproof in public, great with people of all sizes, great with other dogs, great with cats. He is just perfect.

As for the Doberman breed, I have 4 in my life currently, 2 males and 2 females, I love the breed, they are great dogs, very smart, very good looking and very protective, however, all 4 of them whine, bark and scream and it is extremely annoying and painful to the ears. I still love them though and I would eventually like to own one someday. They can be stubborn though, they need a leader in their life or they will take over.
    Lauren

Sinister ~ 5.5 yr old black male GSD 3.11.09
    Draven ~ 16 month old male Dalmatian 6.20.13

Cats: Chaos, Mayhem, Monster, Wicked
  • LaRen616LaRen616

I agree with an Akita or Rottie, I don't like Dobies much. I would NOT recommend a German Shepard, I love them to death but they are very much a working dog and basic walking wouldn't be enough for him and he may end up "Shepherding" your 4yr old =/

This isn't exactly true. There are different lines of GSDs, there are working lines, showlines and then there are the byb lines or pet lines.

In several working dog litters there is usually at least one puppy that is not cut out for work or sport and they are placed in pet homes. They do just fine without having a job, the only thing is that they can require more exercise than normal.
    Lauren

• LaRen616LaRen616
    Gemma said:

I love dobes! We have 3 that come into my boarding kennels and they are all treasures! :x although active and energetic they do generally seem to be alot more placid and chilled than GSD's :) And although protective, they are less suspicious than a breed like a GSD, not to mention the lack of grooming you'd have to do ;) If you want a dobe, then go for it :) they tend to be pretty dog tolerable aswell (obviously this is also very dependent on socializing) Just do more research and try to meet more of the breed :)

This being said, my favorite breed after a shiba is a GSD and I very much intend on getting a straight backed male to join the family when the time is right :)

I am going to have to disagree with you on this. I've known 6 Dobermans in my life and they are much more suspicious than any GSD I have ever met. Also, my friend's male and female Dobermans can run circles around my GSD, they have way more energy than my GSD has and they are always on the go. Yes, the Doberman breed is much easier to groom but they do shed and they can have a lot of skin issues and allergies. Dobermans are notorious for male/male aggression, they generally do not do well with other male dogs of any breed, in fact, a reputable Doberman breeder will not sell a male Doberman to a house that already has a male dog. HOWEVER, my male GSD is best friends with 2 male Dobermans, but it is not the norm.
    Lauren

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)