For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Does Your Shiba Live Up To His or Her Name?
  • GatsuGatsu
    My first Shiba Guts was named after a comic book character. The comic book is about this guy who swings around a massive sword, fighting all sorts of demons. Also "Guts" stands for courage. My Shiba Guts on the other hand is really skinny, and fragile. He is also a big coward. He's even scared of his food plate. So for the most part he doesn't live up to his name. lol

My 2nd Shiba is named Gidget. Gidget comes from an old movie/tv show. But more importantly it means "girl midget". My shiba is actually perfect height but she looks so short compared to most other shibas, and her legs look kind of stumpy. :p She defiantly fits her name!
  • BootzBootz
    Bootz - we named her after the white "boot" she has on her right leg. But she lives up to her name as she always prey on my boots. No sneakers...not my bfs dress shoes. Just my boots! Oh and when I have female guests I have to keep an eye on her and she tends to sneak off to try to attack their boots as well
  • MeiMei
    Mei totally lives up to her name, although I don't think she even knows what her name is yet :] Mei means Oath/Alliance in Japanese, and she is definitely both of those to me. I got her name from the little girl character in the movie Totoro because she was so cute and adventurous. image
  • lucylulucylu
    Lucy is named after lucifer so you tell me if it fits her!
  • tatonkatatonka
    Name fits.
    Monkey!
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Looks like Neo Tatonka is plugged into the MATRIX.
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2013-02-24 20:14:26
  • Is my dog a total narcissist who believe he is destined to be Lord of All Humans? Does he loudly declare it to the world when he has a "MIGHTY NEED---to use the bathroom" and does water burn his skin like acid (or at least appear to based on his reaction to it)?

Yes.

Although I do think he's nicer than his namesake, which is a relief.

For reference, the scene the "mighty need" reference comes from:
  • tatonkatatonka
    Hahaa Zim.

@INU RYUU Do not try and bend the Shiba to your will. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

You'll see, that it is not the Shiba that bends, it is only yourself.
    Monkey!
  • RikkaRikka
    I love Invader Zim. That show was way ahead of its time.

Sagan was named after Carl Sagan, the astrophysicist. He's my greatest hero of all time, and I couldn't think of another name that fit him well (although funny enough, I had a LIST of female names, but nothing for males when I was deciding on a puppy). I guess the only relevancy to his name is perhaps that space can also be considered black (his coat color)? And science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on? Sorry, it's a quote from Dexter, specifically by Masuka. :P

Other than that, no, he doesn't really "live up" to it. He just carries a name that I really like.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • GatsuGatsu
    Lol @ lucylu and notiriousscrat
  • Hachiko is named after Nana K from Nana. She follows me around everywhere for the most part so it's pretty fitting lol. I tell people she's named after the Akita tho when they ask lol. Keiichi well... idk... I'm still not 100% sure we're sticking with that yet, when I had to start fundraising I just picked a name to put on the fundraiser lol
  • jennajenna
    Snickers registered name is Kawakirei BNT Sweet 'N Nutty. He absolutely lives up to it.
    jenna -> founder of nyc shiba rescue, inc.
    snickers -> master of shiba mind control
    jennaandsnickers.com
  • LosechLosech
    Ya, Conker lives up to his namesake perfectly.
  • This is how Bowdu, the "precious tummy," reminds us that he's deserving of his name on a near-daily basis. ;)

He IS the precious tummy.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • Sukoshi -"little bit" in Japanese. When she was a small puppy,yes. Now as a mature almost 8 yr. old dog, not so much. People usually say that she's the biggest female Shiba they've ever seen. In terms of temperament, it suits her -- she is sweet, gentle, and very zen. (Though like all Shibas, she can be somewhat stubborn.)
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Berrie Bear is just that a big old Bear if someone comes near, but he can be cuddly with me at times (not often) like a teddy Bear.

Tanner Tanjiro fits his name also. We added the Tanjiro (we didn't love Tanner his foster name and wanted something close to Tanner to not confuse him too much). Tanjiro we came across and when we Googled it we found out it meant high value 2nd son. Totally fits as he is our 2nd dog and he is of high value to us. He not only has had a positive effect on Bear, but he has been a world of fresh air to train as he not only offers behaviors he actually comes when called (which is of high value as that usually brings his older brother Bear along now too). I think our high value 2nd son has really enhanced our household and our first Shiba Bear. I should add though because his ears are such big reversed expression filled objects my husband thinks we should have called him Yoda (if you judge a dogs name on looks).
    Post edited by redcattoo at 2013-02-25 11:15:27
  • Bowser lives up to his names in some aspects. Although he is pretty shy and jumpy, he did chew my super nintendo wires and knocked over and broke my wii. Seems like he has a Nintendo issue haha

Cuddles lives up to her name. She loves to Cuddle. She tries to climb on my lap all the time and gets jealous when I pet other dogs
  • TinkieTinkie
    Kuro means black, and as he is darker in the face than most b&t shibas, I suppose he lives up to it.

However, I considered naming him Michi. This means road, direction and moral - and is also an old fashioned name for sea lion. And SEA LION, that would've fit, because that is exactly how he sounds. Hahaha.
  • SayaSaya

Saya got her name from this movie.. :D

I love it I like the series too, but movie is still my favorite.

Blood C is full of WTF moments and violance and crap.. I watched it and it was OK I prefer the movie and series.. I never seen the live action movie of it I read it's not good.

I wished they did the live action with exact same story as anime movie as the story was cool.

photo DSC_0268_zps1d339165.jpg

I do believe she lives up to her name as she is brave and tough.

She at 9weeks chased two rabbits that were bigger then her.

Year and half old or so she chased an hawk it was redtail hawk or sometype of hawk I didn't get great look, but soon as that hawk landed to the ground she ran at it.

The hawk immediatly flew away before she got to it and she chased it to the woods and came walking back to me all happy.

The hawk was trying to get birds at the bird feeder.

Saya is the Japanese term for a scabbard, and specifically refers to the scabbard for a sword or knife..

I mainly named her after the vampire, but I do love katana and swords so it was a bonus. :)

I guess she lives up to that name too as she is protective and supports me if needed.. One time I was sick and she came to see how I'm doing.. She sat and waited till I was done.

She gives me support mentally so to me that is form of protection she gives.

Plus she is sharp and deadly like Saya well to mice, voles, and rabbits that is..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • XabiXabi
    I named my shibas after my favorite (& IMO most attractive) Spanish soccer players. Xabi is red, and the player has a significant amount of red to his beard. Iker (female) is a black and tan, and the player is a dark headed guy. But each of the players (as of the whole Real Madrid squad this year) developed an injury lately, and coincidently they correlated to some small, but not insubstantial physical issues with my shibas.

Iker/player broke his hand (out 6weeks at least!), and Iker/shiba developed a limp for a few days on one of her front paws. I think it was just a bruise/strain after some rough play, since it got better after a few days of rest. Xabi/player had a groin strain which meant he had to pull out of a few matches, while Xabi/shiba developed some complications at his neuter site two months after the fact. It's still healing, but luckily his namesake is already back on the pitch. It seemed like more than a coincidence though!
    X & I signature smaller
  • DebDeb
    Yes, they do. And it is odd because who knew who they would turn out to be when they were named?

Teddy was named after my father's faithful hound dog mix he had when I was born. I remember Teddy and what a good dog he was as I grew up. My Teddy is faithful and listens and has the thoughtful and knowing ways of his namesake.

Saki is really a rare blossoming, the Japanese definition I found somewhere, so fortunate to have her and she is a pleasure to spend time with. She is a real lovey and happy kissy face girl. Her previous name was Sachi and that is happy child and she is.

Hachi is the rescue boy and oddly was named after the famous Akita by someone else. He is truly a faithful and connected pup, he is very much tuned in to us.
    Post edited by Deb at 2013-02-25 19:38:16
  • lucylulucylu
    @xabi barca>>>>madrid!!
  • ^liked

But credit where it's due. Iker is one of, if not the, best goalkeeps in the game currently.
  • amtiamti
    My boy Kaji lives up to his name since he's a ball of fire. But he's only 8 months old, so only time will tell. He looks even more like the Firefox browser fox too, which is what we named his after (Kaji Kitsune).

Taisho on the other hand, was a tough looking boy when we got him. His face has softened a lot now and he's a love junkie, so I'm not so sure "leader, or boss" fit him as well now, but he seems happy with his name. He still has his wide stance and muscular legs and nose scar, so he does have a look about him.

We also have a black cat named Vader, and another beautiful cat named Lily. Lily is a princess and walks like one, very dainty and small. Vader is huge, shiny, black, bossy, tough, very loud, and even breaths heavy like Darth Vader (when he gets his asthma attacks). Vader is the sweetest cat to people, but not the nicest cat to other felines.
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Tinkie you should post a recording of Kuro's sea lion call :P
    Monkey!
  • Sasuke means warrior or ninja warrior... my pup is a lover not a fighter but he is quick, hard to catch in the act, and is always two steps ahead when he wants to get away with something... Id say he lives up to the ninja part.....
  • XabiXabi
    @lucylu Yes, yes, Barcelona is a very good team. @violet_in_seville and I have discussed this matter thoroughly. If I were to get a third shiba, I would likely name it after Gerard Pique (but NOT Shakira). However my original crushes came from watching the Spanish National team, which I hope we can agree is near perfection.
    X & I signature smaller
  • motmot
    @Mei
    Hi.
    盟(mei) means Oath/Alliance in Japanese.
    However, the girl's name in the movie "Totoro" comes from English word "May(month)".(By the way, Mei's elder sister's name "Satsuki" which is common Japanese female name, is archaic word for May.
  • We have had 'Puppy' for 2 days now - and have yet to settle on a boy name. The 2 sons are debating on his name ... Haha! .. it will probably be pulled from COD, HALO, LOL, or WOW! ... although a Mario Bro name was discussed as well. Chubaka (Chewie) also seems to be in the running... :)
  • wufanwufan
    I named my shiba Wufan which means lunch and yes he lived up to his name because he always skips lunch. So he eats only twice a day morning and night.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)