For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Honest Kitchen Dog Food Recall
  • Alex575Alex575
    Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to post this from The Honest Kitchen. They're doing a voluntary recall of some of their food including the Verve, Zeal, Thrive line:

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/TheHonestKitchenRecallRelease.pdf

• LosechLosech
    That's a first, a bit obnoxious, but they seem to be handling it well. Parsley huh... What an odd thing to be the cause of a salmonella recall.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    It's raw food! These recalls are getting ridiculous.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • @lindsayt, That first part was sarcasm, right? ;)

I was just going to add this to the other food recall thread... There have been an awfully lot of these lately. =P I will say though that this was the only one so far by which I was notified by the company itself, and not a third party. And by TOTAL coincidence, right after I saw the e-mail notice on my phone, I turned on the radio and caught the tail end of a snippet about an investigation about food testing fraud regarding salmonella testing and peanuts... I'll be doing some digging around on that story later...

EDIT: Because I think it's important to keep an eye on how a company handles recalls, this caught my eye:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152594403095437&set=a.282082315436.317238.92788370436&type=1

In addition to the press release, the FDA bulletin, and the e-mails that went out, they also posted the recall notice on Facebook a few hours ago.

One commenter noted:
    Christie Keith: I am so disappointed you are calling this a "quality announcement" on your website and a "safety announcement" here, instead of what it is: a recall. I have always admired how you do business. This was a mistake.

[comment immediately following]

The Honest Kitchen: Hi Christie Keith, thank you so much for your feedback. We are changing the page immediately.

[... a few comments later ...]

Christie Keith: In the world we live in, I believe recalls are possible with any food, no matter how well and carefully produced. It's because our food chain is compromised. However, I am very happy to see that Honest Kitchen has responded to my concern and made the change. THAT'S the company I had come to know and respect! Thank you for listening.

Note also that they have staff on deck RIGHT NOW to answer questions immediately, both online and by phone.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-02-21 21:42:12
  • So yeah last week I bought a trial pack of this... Lol... I uhhh thought it smelt really good and tried a little myself since the box called it human grade... I now suddenly regret this....
  • catloreecatloree
    We've been feeding Honest Kitchen for several months now. I've only used Embark & Love, which aren't included in the recall, but I have to say that this still makes me nervous. I guess it just goes to show that any company can have issues. Ugh.
    Catherine (human), Elwood (Shiba), & Sadie (Pomeranian)
  • SayaSaya
    I agree with Curlytails.

No company is recall free something might happen sometime down the line and how the company handles things is important.

Raw foods have recall cargill or whatever had issues with ground turkey and same with ground beef they had issue one company forgot which.

Farmer I get chicken and turkey feet from got a lot of costumers thanks to cargill's issues.

I still feel confident in feeding raw foods Saya's immune is good and she can handle raw diet and variety..

Same with The honest kitchen I still feel fine with feeding it as a snack or camp food for Saya.

Nature's variety did recall on their raw chicken recently plastic in the food.. :\

One thing when someone argues my diet is risky and full of salmonella and e coli I remind them that peanut butter, spinach and lettuce has had some issues too..

I rarely buy ground meat usually it's from local grass fed/free ranged farmer once in blue moon I get it from grocery.

Thanks for posting this I saw this on FB so was going to post on the recall thread wish the tittle on that thread can be edited easily with each new recall so it can be in same thread easily..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Well, at least we know it isn't a dirty facility issue or rat poison in the food. I like that the company is right on top of it.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)