For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
full on diarrhea 7 days now?
  • jelliesjellies
    I took him (7 months old) to the vet on day 2, they gave me some antibiotics of the kind that cap bacteria, and advised boiled chicken with a bit of probiotic yogurt so that is what he has been on. It is all but day 7 and his runs haven't changed one bit. The twice daily anti-biotics are finished.
    His movements are just brown water and he has to go every few hours. When I walk him the second attempt ends with some drops of blood. Temperature ok, energy-wise I'd say he is about 70% of his normal self vs about 50% earlier in this bout. Still very interested in other dogs but a lot more sleeping in general. He is keen on his bland diet too.

I've asked the vet what now - I suppose they will ask for a sample to do testing, but this doesn't seem right to me: boiled chicken goes in, brown water comes out. For this long?
    Also to make matters worse his monthly heart tablet is now a week overdue, I don't want to give it him as it usually makes him slightly puke.
    He has never had digestion issues prior to this.
  • Take him back to the vet asap! This is not right, and they should be pretty concerned about a young dog with that much diarrhea. If they won't see him right away, see another vet. Dogs can die very quickly from dehydration, especially young dogs, and the blood is not normal at all.

• jelliesjellies
    yeah to be fair they were careful to give me instructions to check hydration and I have been doing that. His gums bounce back to pink, not too tacky. The scruff of his neck doesn't "tent", even his nose is wet.

On tuesday I checked in to say, well, when can I expect this to clear up? they said 3-5 days. This is day 6, so I'll get him in tomorrow hopefully with a sample :(

edit: I made a re-appointment for 10:30am tomorrow..
    Post edited by jellies at 2013-02-14 01:54:39
  • Good luck--I hope you get some answers! Keep us posted!
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Good luck, hope they find answers. I have heard blockage can cause diarrhea, so if the meds aren't working maybe they need to check for that?
  • Good luck. 7 days is not normal and usually meds start noticeably helping by day 1 or 2. I would get a second opinion asap. My vet ( not the type to order unnecesary tests) would have asked me to come in asap had I called them on Tuesday, as you had.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Maybe Giardia or something nasty like that.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • MikoMiko
    It does sound like Giardia, as these were the symptoms Miko had. Very runny, smelly poo and frequent bowel movements. Definitely take in a stool sample on your way to the vet.
  • SayaSaya
    Giargia might be an issue.

Where you just feeding boiled chicken any rice, sweet potato or pumpkin to firm the poop up?

Bland diet is usually cooked chicken and rice..

Diarrhea for this long isn't normal.

Maybe a probiotic would help get the gut in order ark naturals sells one called gentle digest there is other brands out there too.

I hope your pup feels better soon.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • jelliesjellies
    The antibiotic he has finished was metrogyl which is metronidazole, I think that should have done in the giardia by now?

The only trigger possibilities I can think of on the lead up to this were a predilection for chicken poo snacks - his access has been cut off now. He also has had a recent habit for crunching up more than a few pencils. There was a lot of drenching rains and then some pools of stagnant water in the dog walk areas he drank from more than one muddy stagnant looking pool, aping other dogs. But overall, nothing stands out :(
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @jellies, it is my understanding if it is giardia that getting rid of it requires a lot of work and that metronidazole doesn't always work. If it is giardia I have heard that panacur is the most effective treatment. I believe you also have to clean and treat the areas he has been to prevent re-infection.

Good luck.

By the way I like the Ark Naturals Gentle Digest that @Saya mentioned, along with food changes, a month long use of it seemed to really help Bear's system stabilize after we had a long period of soft serve stool issues we worked on to resolve.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    FYI there was a Giardiasis outbreak at my local dog park three weeks ago. Many dog were infected after being there.
    犬竜
  • BootzBootz
    ^ @INU RYUU, that one of the reasons why I don't let Jackie and Bootz drink public water anymore (Even though they have been princesses on their own and don't drink water in public....)

Bootz/Jackie caught Giardiasis at the dog park once. But they didnt show any symptoms...poo was solid...normal bowel movements. I just happen to do their yearly fecal test and was told they had giardia.

@jellies, I really hope you figure out whats wrong, as diarrhea is a pain to deal with...and is probably stressful for your puppy
  • SayaSaya
    I'm Lucky Saya never drank out of the public water bowls only the portable water I brought for her. Which is good I think.

Bella on other hand didn't mind drinking out of public or out water bowl we brought. Luckily she never gotten anything.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Penny refuses to drink from a community water bowl. She will only drink from her portable bowl if I put fresh water in it.
    犬竜
  • RikkaRikka
    Sagan will drink everything out of anything -- it's actually quite frustrating. He'll even approach a stranger who's leaning down to provide water to their dog, and he'll lick it up like its his own. >_> He also loves playing in puddles and the lake at the dog parks, so he'll slurp that up, too. Sigh.

Good thing he's never had any health issues regarding that.
  • jelliesjellies
    vet has upped the fire power now got amoxyclav which is a combo antibiotic first dose he got as a needle, and probiotic in sachets and a clagging liquid peptosyl (bismuth salicylate) to give me a break. he said they have a number of dogs in care with similar diarrhoea and thinks it might be a cluster of something but they don't know what exactly.
    he has lost a lb in weight over the last 5 days.. but is otherwise hydrated and almost normal only I can tell he isn't genki.
    Post edited by jellies at 2013-02-14 19:38:56
  • Poor boy! I hope he gets some relief from this. Wonder what it is? If it is a parasite they should be able to tell you that from the stool sample, so I'm kind of puzzled they don't have any ideas.

But I hope he gets back to his genki self soon! (And it made me smile to see genki, which is a word I haven't thought of since I lived in Japan!)
  • amtiamti
    My Kaji had a bad case of the runs about two months ago, but he never had any blood. I would be quite concerned because of the blood. My vet was not worried bc he was not dehydrated and was still active and playful. I kept him off food for 12 hours, and then just gave him just rice- and only a little at a time. Once his poop started to have shape, then I added chicken breasts. Have you tried just rice? Many dogs are allergic to chicken which is why I started with just rice. I then went to no grain and then tried the regular puppy food. He was still okay with half rice and half puppy food. I *think* his runs were because he was getting too much protein in his dog food (Blue Buffalo). The runs came right back when he went back to full puppy food, so I had to repeat the process all over again. When I mixed puppy food with regular dog food, he no longer had the runs. And by runs, it was soft poo at first, and then always ended with a major explosion where it was brown water. What concerns me about your pup is the drops of blood... Kaji never had that.

I felt really bad for him. I hope your pup gets well soon! Good luck to you too bc I know how frustrating this is!
  • You should have the bet check his vitamin B level. It could also be a form of IBS.
  • jelliesjellies
    Just an update for the record, first sign he got better was poop strike about day 8, two days after he started the alternative antibiotics.

48 hours later he ended that strike on a late night walk - he came home beside himself with happiness. he has been eating like a machine since then.

I guess it was some form of acute colitis, underlying cause unknown.
  • jennajenna
    WHEW. Glad to hear he's over it.
    jenna -> founder of nyc shiba rescue, inc.
    snickers -> master of shiba mind control
    jennaandsnickers.com
  • tatonkatatonka
    Awesome.. good news for you both!
    Monkey!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion