For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
A walk in the woods ...
  • So I'm walking Yoshi in the woods for his evening potty and as usual, he walks like he owns the place as we walk there three or four times a day. The "woods" are about 100 acres of conservation land behind my house. Usually, Yoshi sniffs at the squirrel, rabbit and deer tracks and their poop but tonite was a little different. It started out as usual but half a mile into the walk, all of a sudden, Yoshi let's out a low growl and bolts in a straight line in the direction of my house and doesn't stop until he jumps a few steps and gets to the door. We went through non-trodden snow and tree branches and I was a little perplexed why he did that as I've never seen him do that before.

After I get him settled in his ex-pen, I go back out with my flashlight and I retrace our steps to where he took off. Inside my steps are coyote tracks following us all the way to the clearing directly behind the house! As George Takei would say, "Oh my ...!" I will try to get better photos on Friday but I have seen enough coyote tracks and know there are coyotes and fox in the woods to be pretty sure that this is what was scaring the poor guy. They were pretty good size paw prints.

In his limited time on earth, he has seen squirrels, rabbits, deer, dogs and even a family of wild turkeys. I'm just hoping he never sees the coyotes. I am sure he won't have his normal swagger in the woods the next time we go for the full walk!

I only took a few photos as I was actually kind of unsettled standing there. It doesn't show, but the claws were pretty substantial. Here is one of them.
    img src="Coyote-Tracks-in-Snow-Feb-13-2013" />
  • BootzBootz
    Wow...thats scary!

Did he pull you all the way home with the leash or were you chasing after him XD

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Very scary indeed!! We live out in the country as well. I often walk Kobe out in the field behind our house(beans last year so nice and flat), usually at night to stay off the road. Every so often we will be walking along and Kobe will freeze and do that low growl and bark, and then dart in the opposite direction. I have no idea what he's seeing(or hearing), but sometimes I can hear something not too far away crunching through the snow just before he freezes! Sort of unsettling! We, too, have coyotes and packs of wild dogs in the area. But to my knowledge we've never had one following us. Be careful!!!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • Bootz - it was like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disney World as he pulled me and I did all I could to not let the leash slip out of my hand, block the tree branches that were hitting my face and not fall down. Needless to say, our trainer would not have passed us on the loose leash test!

Kobe - with the blizzard and 2 feet of snow we just had, I'm wondering if the coyotes are having difficulty finding prey and are a little more active and roaming closer to human population. Come to think of it, I haven't seen as many deer beds or tracks since the snowfall.
  • BootzBootz
    Ahhh scary! I hope you have a collar specifically for night walks as an emergency. I got one for Tatonka when I was babysitting him just as a reassurance in cause something happen when I walked him at night.
  • amtiamti
    Scary! I fear coyotes too in our woods. They come really close to the house and we often hear a pack howling and having a good time. My son has seen their poop in our yard before and will caution me about letting the kitties outdoors when he sees evidence. It is interesting how animals know which ones are dangerous to them. The first thing I usually do is look for all the animals. We know the coyotes are not that near when we see deer and other animals wandering around.
  • yes, it probably was the coyote! They will go after a dog too. My girl Shiba got tore up pretty badly by some (in our yard). And once I saw one while I was walking my male Shiba, and it started to stalk him before it seemed to decide the two of us were a bit much and it trotted away. Here they are big, too, like husky size, sometimes even the size of GSD.

While "conventional wisdom" says coyotes are afraid of people, I've not seen that myself. They seem to not be bothered by people at all, so it's good that you got Yoshi in!
  • You may want to pick up a copy of The Complete Tracker, by Len McDougall.
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-complete-tracker-2nd-len-mcdougall/1017975203?ean=9781599218588

I have the first edition. It's a handy little hardback:
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-complete-tracker-len-mcdougall/1003280609?ean=9781567313260

Based on the photo, that may be the rear paw of a 3 toed (?) coyote.

We have coyotes in our area. Some are fairly good sized. I had to scare one off that was coming to check Sukoshi out--she was watching him through my wire fencing.
  • We went for Yoshi's morning walk and I expected some trepidation and more low growling from him but it was as if nothing happened! I saw more tracks going along the path to the stream and I will definitely be on the lookout.

Sukoshi's mom - this was the best picture I could take last nite under the circumstances but the other tracks show 4 toes and this impression just didn't pick up the fourth toe. It also seems to be the front paw as there were other paw tracks that were smaller in size and the hind heel pad is usually smaller than the front. Nevertheless, I'm no expert and will be worried of any coyote, 3-toed or 4-toed, if I see one that goes bump in the nite!

Wu
  • SayaSaya
    Lights for the collar is a must for night walks.. I have one I only used once to test how far my mom could see Saya in the dark.. I went out with her on leash and flashlight turned it off so mom could check to see.

Saya knows coyotes and skunks are two things to not mess with.

She's heard them yip, yodel, and yowl, and she knows they're nothing to mess with. I had her with me in garage while I cleaning the plastic lids I used to prep the groundhog on when the coyotes were making noises. Saya stood by me. The doors were shut, but I could hear them.

Coyotes in my area is more cautious and will bolt it if they see or hear humans, but I'm not saying they'll never hurt me or my dog, but they're not as brazen as city coyotes.

I never do off leash at night and always have flash light and protection just in case.

I taken Saya out late night to potty and she peed and then on way to house she stopped stared at the entrance of the trail to the field so I shined the flash light on the area and there was two coyotes in the entrance. They stopped for few minutes then turned back and ran back into the field.

Sadly at night rabbits seem to enjoy hanging by my house so food source attracts predators..

I see rabbit fur by the garden sometimes. Luckily no dead bunnies just fur.

I don't mind as rabbits eat my gardens. Coyotes in my area are pretty healthy did see a horrible sick mangey one in town at night once. I called animal control to let them know not sure if they found it, but I gave them the area I spotted it.

Saya will give off a warning bark if she sees skunk during day or night. Skunks are horrible if your dog ever got sprayed you'd know why I feel that way.

Pearly my last boxer decided to mess with a skunk she came back smelly. Yuck.

If you go on night walks be sure to have protection like pepper spray, guny, or big stick whatever is legal, and coarse flash light.

http://www.amazon.com/Ruffwear-The-Beacon-Red-Currant/dp/B005K0MQMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360856877&sr=8-1&keywords=ruffwear+light

Coyote pups. There was 5 or 6, but they high tailed it when they saw me. :\ I went back home as I didn't want my walk to disturb them too much. So sad they're loosing their wild life so many fields are being sold for apartments or who knows. soon we won't have farm lands for crops..
    photo coyotepup-1_zps66b77991.jpg

I'm not saying coyotes are harmless they can hurt dogs and even kill them. I've seen stories of people in town loosing their some Yorkshire terrier, dachshund or puppy lab.

Each article I read on it the small dog or puppy was let out to go potty at night in a un fenced yard.. >.<

Very irresponsible I mean a small dog has no chance against coyote and you leave the dog alone to potty at night.

Only if it's for few seconds it's not worth it. Heck coyote can get in fenced yard I'm sure by digging or climbing depends on how high fence is.

One thing I love living in country it's so nice to see fox, hear owls, hawks, palliated woodpeckers, badgers and so on..

Luckily I don't see badger much guessing it moved to different area or maybe someone killed poor thing.

Our shiba know when there is a threat around..

Saya spotted a opossum up on tree she would not move till I shone the light and acknowledge it was there. Big one too.

I don't do night walking only time I venture into the field at night is if we are roasting hot dogs and smores at our camp sight. Coarse there is two people plus me at the camp site plus Saya and Bella.. Saya loves a piece of roasted cooled down hot dog.. haha
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    In London, Ontario(the closest City near me) they are having a lot of problems with Coyotes. Being seen in back yards and people reporting their pets "missing". I don't really know why, but can only assume they are looking for easier meals, maybe saving energy thru the winter? The pack that is around my area is very well established. With the large Mennonite population around here keeping small livestock out(sheep, goats, chickens) it makes for a very tempting meal for them! There is also a landfill about three miles down the road, which could offer up some scavaging ops.
    Just remember that they typically hunt in pairs, so if you see one, there's probably another one close by. I don't have much fear of being attacked by one(although they say Coyote attacks on humans are on the rise as they are moving closer and closer to population centers), but I would worry about Kobe, say he gets loose or something!
    I really like the idea of the lighted collars. Never thought about that...going to get one this weekend!!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    This eve we had a encounter with a coyote...unfortunately(depending how you look at it) it was dead.

It was a good sized male. He was laying in the ditch about 1/8 mile down from our house. It was getting dark so I couldn't see any telltale signs of what did him in. I'm assuming it was a rare car on our road, but could have also been shot.

It was very upsetting to see. Such a beautiful animal! And to see it up close (albeit dead) was quite remarkable. So solidly built...not something to mess with(when alive!)

Kobe's reaction was interesting. He just laid down about five feet away and looked at it, and whimpered a bit. He made no effort to get any closer, but seemed to know another canine had lost its life. Was a bit strange!

• SayaSaya
    Saya seems to know coyotes are not something to mess with. she hears them howl and yip she stays with me and head in the house..

Sorry about the coyote. :\ I mostly see dead raccoons or opossum few times saw deer.

Only once saw a hit and dead coyote.
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Saya at 2013-11-21 08:01:32
  • amtiamti
    The only dead coyote I've seen around here was a few years ago. There was a dead deer near the middle school on the main road for about two days. I called animal control to pick it up and on the third day, there was a dead coyote about 20 feet away, right in the medium in front of the school. School was going to resume the next day so I made sure to let animal control know that the deer was still there and attracted a coyote, which was hit by a car, and if they procrastinated any longer, they would have an audience of middle school kids looking at the carcasses. Both animals were picked up within the hour. A dead coyote gets a lot of attention in our area. I think there are researchers studying them. I wish we could set traps out and remove them because they are getting really bold and bad in our area. I'll hear them at night when walking the dogs and have had to call for backup a few times because they are so close. I won't walk the dogs in the woods at night, but I walk them in the neighborhood area and the coyotes are behind the houses. A friend who had just gotten two baby beagles had them in her back yard and was watching them at 2:30 in the afternoon. She has a iron rod fence. One of the beagles was near the fence and a coyote grabbed it and ran off. She chased the coyote and it dropped the puppy, but the puppy was already gone. Its unbelievably scary how bold these coyotes are getting!
  • SayaSaya
    Poor beagle puppy. :( A puppy or small dog need to have a solid fencing to protect from coyotes even then they might jump over or dig under or get the dog from a hole in fencing like one did to Bel Lisa's dog. Luckily she survived.

Puppies or small should never be left alone especially at dusk, night, and dawn..

My neighbor leaves their dachshund on a tie out for potty breaks they never walk the dog because who needs to walk a small dog right? :\ I feel sorry for the dog even if it is small I'm sure they enjoy a walk. A dachshund was bred to hunt not laze about.

I'm surprised no coyotes or hawks have killed the dog yet. They have zero fence so..

I'm lucky the coyotes aren't so brazen, but it just takes one bold coyote, or crazy cat lady or small dog owner to encourage some bolder behavior..

I'm no coyote expert, but do love to observe and learn about them.

I'm not in denial either I know they're dangerous. Luckily haven't dealt with any bold coyotes only a bold raccoon which showed too much interest in people. Was scary how the raccoon walked closer to us..

Eventually I'd love get my own gun for protection when on hikes just in case something happens a big hard walking stick can only do so much..
    Photobucket
  • BootzBootz
    Poor puppy :(
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Poor pup!

After having seen this coyote so up close and personal, I'm second guessing my moonlight walks with Kobe out in the fields...especially along the woodlands. While they seem to be pretty elusive around here, it would take only one bold coyote to snatch up Kobe, and there would be nothing I could do.

As much as I hate guns, it might not be a bad idea, as a last resort.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)