For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
A walk in the woods ...
  • BootzBootz
    Wow...thats scary!

Did he pull you all the way home with the leash or were you chasing after him XD

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • Bootz - it was like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disney World as he pulled me and I did all I could to not let the leash slip out of my hand, block the tree branches that were hitting my face and not fall down. Needless to say, our trainer would not have passed us on the loose leash test!

Kobe - with the blizzard and 2 feet of snow we just had, I'm wondering if the coyotes are having difficulty finding prey and are a little more active and roaming closer to human population. Come to think of it, I haven't seen as many deer beds or tracks since the snowfall.
  • BootzBootz
    Ahhh scary! I hope you have a collar specifically for night walks as an emergency. I got one for Tatonka when I was babysitting him just as a reassurance in cause something happen when I walked him at night.
  • amtiamti
    Scary! I fear coyotes too in our woods. They come really close to the house and we often hear a pack howling and having a good time. My son has seen their poop in our yard before and will caution me about letting the kitties outdoors when he sees evidence. It is interesting how animals know which ones are dangerous to them. The first thing I usually do is look for all the animals. We know the coyotes are not that near when we see deer and other animals wandering around.
  • You may want to pick up a copy of The Complete Tracker, by Len McDougall.
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-complete-tracker-2nd-len-mcdougall/1017975203?ean=9781599218588

I have the first edition. It's a handy little hardback:
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-complete-tracker-len-mcdougall/1003280609?ean=9781567313260

Based on the photo, that may be the rear paw of a 3 toed (?) coyote.

We have coyotes in our area. Some are fairly good sized. I had to scare one off that was coming to check Sukoshi out--she was watching him through my wire fencing.
  • We went for Yoshi's morning walk and I expected some trepidation and more low growling from him but it was as if nothing happened! I saw more tracks going along the path to the stream and I will definitely be on the lookout.

Sukoshi's mom - this was the best picture I could take last nite under the circumstances but the other tracks show 4 toes and this impression just didn't pick up the fourth toe. It also seems to be the front paw as there were other paw tracks that were smaller in size and the hind heel pad is usually smaller than the front. Nevertheless, I'm no expert and will be worried of any coyote, 3-toed or 4-toed, if I see one that goes bump in the nite!

Wu
  • SayaSaya
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2013-11-21 08:01:32
  • amtiamti
    The only dead coyote I've seen around here was a few years ago. There was a dead deer near the middle school on the main road for about two days. I called animal control to pick it up and on the third day, there was a dead coyote about 20 feet away, right in the medium in front of the school. School was going to resume the next day so I made sure to let animal control know that the deer was still there and attracted a coyote, which was hit by a car, and if they procrastinated any longer, they would have an audience of middle school kids looking at the carcasses. Both animals were picked up within the hour. A dead coyote gets a lot of attention in our area. I think there are researchers studying them. I wish we could set traps out and remove them because they are getting really bold and bad in our area. I'll hear them at night when walking the dogs and have had to call for backup a few times because they are so close. I won't walk the dogs in the woods at night, but I walk them in the neighborhood area and the coyotes are behind the houses. A friend who had just gotten two baby beagles had them in her back yard and was watching them at 2:30 in the afternoon. She has a iron rod fence. One of the beagles was near the fence and a coyote grabbed it and ran off. She chased the coyote and it dropped the puppy, but the puppy was already gone. Its unbelievably scary how bold these coyotes are getting!
  • SayaSaya
  • BootzBootz
    Poor puppy :(
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)