For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Irrational fear of parrot. Sometimes.
  • BitiBeaBitiBea
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-06-06 09:52:27
  • tatonkatatonka
  • AraksAraks
    I can't really help with your specific situation, but I've seen this fear with a few other dogs. For example, when we got our african grey 3 years ago, my dog Sevuk was terrified of him for a week (as in, not even wanting to be in the same room as the cage), which I'm guessing was from the strange high pitch noise the grey emits every once in a while to get our attention (yet Sevuk never had problems with our macaw's inhuman screams). Certain sounds and behaviors can freak dogs out, and your bird is probably doing something that is making Kismet extremely nervous.

But yes, the best thing to do between birds and shibas, and any dog in general, is to keep them apart. At our house, we, and many other dog and bird owners I know, follow the rule, "When the dog is out, the birds are put away. When the birds are out, the dog is put away." They may get along great for one second, but Kismet could possibly bite and kill your conure from fear within the next second, even under your supervision.
  • DaghainDaghain
    I've been owned by a cockatiel and a quaker parrot (at the same time, GOOD LORD). I think I'd be glad they aren't friends, as the parrot is the one who will get hurt if the dog decides to "play" and gets too rough. Or, the bird could get too close and peck out an eye. Even supervised, I've learned from experience it takes about two seconds for something bad to happen, and if you're across the room, even if you are watching, it's too late. My quaker hated my cockatiel and if they both got on the floor at the same time Neelix would try to pull Meep's tail feathers to get at her. So we had to have one on the lap, one roaming the house (supervised). If one got on the floor and the other jumped off her cage, somebody had to be moved. They're like toddlers - turn your back for one second, and it's total disaster.

I agree with Araks on this one. Keep them apart. The size differential alone is cause for concern.

• sophiahan8sophiahan8
    Haha I love green cheeks! Mine terrorizes my bichon all the time! She gets angry and tries to bite him in the nose when he's curious and checking her out. These days he just stays far away now or freaks out when she's too close to him.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)