For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Longest you've had to wait for your Shiba puppy
  • tatonkatatonka
    So what's the longest you've had to wait for your Shiba pup? I mean from first contacting the breeder to having your furbaby in your arms and on your way home with them for the first time?

This has nothing to do with me getting a second dog, which is not happening.
    Monkey!
  • First contacted my breeder 6/29/11. First contacted her seriously about getting a pup 11/08/11. Zim was born on 12/04/11 and we brought him home 1/28/12.
  • tatonkatatonka
    Ok so 7 months!
    I contacted Tatonka's breeder on 4/15. Bank was closed, so I had to wait for Monday. Brought him home and to a vet on 4/16.

Coincidentally he was born on 1/28/12.
    Monkey!
  • I'm waiting right now. Less than a week to go! Of course, if there is no girl, I will have to wait until next year.
    I'm getting her from a friend, but this is her first litter in a year.
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    I waited 6 months for Kishi.
  • 8 months
  • MackersMackers
    9 months and counting
  • GatsuGatsu
    Contacted Guts' breeder, found out she had 1 more Shiba left. Went and picked him up in that week. Same with Gidget, found out the breeder had 1 shiba left, I went to pick her up that week.

I have no patience, and looked for Credible breeders who still had shiba pups. But because of this I didn't get to have a shiba at 8 weeks, so I missed that really cute time period. Also I got lucky, since shibas tend to go fast, and breeder seem to only breed at certain times of the year.
    Post edited by Gatsu at 2013-01-31 10:49:23
  • RikkaRikka
    7 months.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • tatonkatatonka
    @Gatsu, I'm the same.. no patience.

Rest of you guys.. it must have been hell o_O
    Monkey!
  • @Gatsu I think the really cute puppy period is overhyped. Next time, we're doing what you did. Or we're getting one of Pam's retired show dogs. I've definitely been coveting some of her dogs lately.
  • RikkaRikka
    I generally have no patience either, but you more or less have to be if you're going with a reputable breeder, seeing as how waiting lists are a "good sign" and usually prominent. :P Waiting the first four months was hellish, but after that, time went by pretty fast and it was nice receiving pregnancy pictures of the bitch all the way up to 8-week-old puppies of the litter from the breeder.
    Post edited by Rikka at 2013-01-31 11:54:31
  • BootzBootz
    @Gatsu,

My bf was impatient as well and we got Bootz from a mill. Contacted breeder on 8/15/11. Shipped out and arrived on 8/19/11. She was 10-11 weeks by then. Although in the future I want a 2nd shiba from a reputable breeder....I don't mind waiting until 10-11 weeks. As @notoriousscrat said, the cute puppy period is overhyped. Bootz came to us very social and housetrained. Which I am suprised now since she was from a mill o_o. But *knock on wood* we haven't hit the 2 year mark yet.
    Post edited by Bootz at 2013-01-31 12:00:48
  • I was soooo lucky. Reached out to a handful of breeders recommended by this board, and one of them had a new litter and had 2 girls available. I originally wanted a boy, but couldn't pass up the opportunity of bringing home a puppy so soon. We went and saw her when she was 4 weeks old, and then picked her up a month after that. It was about a 6 week wait from beginning to end!
  • ArcticArctic
    I started searching for a breeder, and around 3 weeks later I came into contact with the one I went with. We had several long conversations, and on the third phone call she mentioned that she had a red female who was available since the original owner-to-be had backed out, but didn't want me to sell me on her since she knew that wasn't what I had in mind.

I had her a week and a half later :) Originally wanted a black and tan male (that was my "dream" dog) but of course now I can't imagine anything else. I am a very inpatient person, so I think I really lucked out.
  • Nood1esNood1es
    Was searching for about 2-3 weeks. Got in contact with the breeder, she didn't have a litter, til 2 weeks ago. So gotta wait for the little guy to reach 8 weeks. In total, it'll be probably 11 weeks?
  • About five months for us. First contacted/met with the breeder in September, puppy was born in November, brought her home in January.

Also, we were really lucky to get a puppy out of that litter. There was someone ahead of us who ended up not being able to take the puppy, so we got her!
  • I'll just stress again how important it is to wait, regardless of how impatient you may feel. Unless you're really lucky with a reputable breeder, there is almost always going to be a wait, and that is a good thing! And for some people on the NK side, who want rarer breeds, they may end up waiting years!

That said, I've usually not had long waits myself. Sometimes that has been a good thing (just luck), sometimes not.

I was lucky with my first Shiba, because I knew NOTHING. Had no idea how to choose a dog, but the first person I contacted within a day's drive did have a litter on the way, and thought she would have one puppy not spoken for. I contacted them in January and had him April. He was from very good lines indeed. It was just luck in terms of timing.

The second time I was dumb, just wanted a puppy right then, so went with the first person who had one available, and that was a mill puppy. I didn't know.

With my Akita, I learned all about how to find a good breeder, and got a lot of help. I picked a good breeder. We were thinking about this in Jan. and contacted a lot of people, looked at a lot of dogs. I narrowed my choice down to two breeders, both of whom looked excellent, and I decided to go with whoever had a puppy first (both had planned breedings, but there are the vagaries of heat cycles). I ended up getting a puppy in August. And...as it turned out...I should have waited for the second breeder, though it was a year before she had a puppy available. But her dogs are healthy. Mine is not, and the good breeder turned out to not be very responsive when there were serious health issues. There was no way I could have known that though--I did do everything right, finally, but sometimes you're still unlucky.

And with my Kai, I was just thinking about a Kai Ken as a possibility and went to meet some. I said I was thinking about a year down the road. But then I got an message--would I consider a Kai much, much sooner? There was a puppy that they wanted to keep intact for possible breeding, and I was very close so it would be convenient to bring him to be bred if things went that way, and so I ended up with a puppy two months later!
  • GemmaGemma
    Jeez, by the look of things I was really lucky with Laika!

We went to a reputable breeder off the Kennel Club's "Assured Breeder Scheme" who lived within 45 minutes of me.

She didn't have a "waiting list" as such, she just kept people who were interested up to date with possible litters and then you couldn't "bagsy" one until you'd visited and chosen the one you wanted. (Exceptions to the visit for those who lived ages away)

When I contacted her she had just had a pregnancy confirmed and that was in early September and we went to pick her up Mid December.

So I was quite lucky with the short wait and short distance.

I think I want a Samoyed next (but not for a year or more) and I'm debating whether to contact breeders now so that if I do decide to get one I will be aware of the litters due and can get one pretty speedy :)
  • RikkaRikka
    Samoyed is my choice of a second dog as well, @Gemma. I talked to the breeder that @deerpark recommended me, and she's incredibly knowledgeable and kind. The only downside is that she hasn't flown her puppies in almost 15 years -- meaning everyone that obtained a puppy from her has always drove to her, which I can't do, unfortunately. She said she wasn't sure how flights are anymore, and basically gave me the responsibility for that (which is admittedly painful and I don't really feel like doing). I have been looking into breeders that are around the pacific northwest, but it's difficult. Sammies seem to be more popular on the east coast. ;)
  • BootzBootz
    @Rikka,

Just fly there, pick a puppy, fly back with it as carry on!

i love Samoyed puppies!! :( Thanks to the Sandra Bullock movie "the proposal"
    But they are huge full grown.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Six months and two 10 hour car trips and we had Kobe. Our breeder also breeds Sibes and we had just recently lost Dawson, our 13 Y.O. Sibe. I don't know if that had anything to do with us getting Kobe so soon, but I'm just so happy we have him! There are only maybe two or three Shiba breeders that I know of in Ontario, Canada, so the prospects of getting a Shiba anytime soon seemed bleak, at best. We had contacted a few breeders in Michigan and upstate New York but had VERY long waits, and we didn't wanna go through the whole process of importing a puppy anyway. To make a long story short I agree with most of the posts to expect a rather lengthy wait...but a very strong relationship with the breeder and a little luck don't hurt!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • Tre26Tre26
    I believe it was four weeks. My husband had said no more dogs but when our daughter moved out and I would be alone every few months for several weeks to a month at a time he reconsidered. I didn't waste any time. My husband and I liked the look of the Shiba and since we love cats and they are cat like well that was a plus. My husband is an avid walker and I need to walk more especially in the summer. I teach and it helps to keep me in conditions now that I have Osteo arthritis. So far we are happy with her.
    Tre26
  • tatonkatatonka
    These stories are pretty interesting. I was never really a dog person but I got into dogs because of a half German Shepherd half who-knows-what my friend picked up from the pound. This little girl was just sitting in her cell with her food bowl overturned, kibble everywhere, watching people who passed by. She basically had a German Shepherd's body but shrunken 1/3 the size but a full sized German Shepherd's head. People would just lose their minds when they saw her.

But it's completely different to like dogs vs owning one of your own. You really don't understand the responsibility that comes with a dog - you can really screw them up.

Anyway I'm enjoying reading about your experiences..
    Monkey!
  • BootzBootz
    @Tatonka, or in your case, they can screw YOU up lol.
  • I was really lucky, I knew I wanted a Shiba but was kind of leaning towards trying to find an red adult male to adopt so I started looking on Craigslist. I think about 3 days into my search a listing came up for a 12-week old red female puppy in Queens. I contacted them and it was sad, they loved her soooo much but realized after buying her they didn't have the time to take care of her. I think in was about a week after I started talking to them that I went to meet her but at that point they were still interviewing people, but they decided on us and I think it was a week or two after that she came to live with us. We were super lucky because for the $200 adopt fee she came with everything (crate, toys, food) and already had all her puppy shots and everything. I'm pretty sure she's a mill dog but she's been very healthy so far except that she's skinny (but her vet told us she's fine, just skinny).
    Post edited by KitsuneSakakino at 2013-02-02 10:09:06
  • deerparkdeerpark
    1.5 years for the Samoyed our 9 months for our Shiba. Completely worth it.
  • Started contacting breeders in April 2009.

Made contact with Kari-On Shibas on 4/8/2012.

Took Kyoto home on 5/15/2012. :)
    Post edited by spartanvi at 2013-02-20 02:44:02
  • tatonkatatonka
    o_O 3 years!
    Monkey!
  • amtiamti
    Kaji was a gift, and Taisho was a slept-on-it rescue, so really no time. My first dog with my husband was a Samoyed. She was a present also. I love Sammys but wanted a smaller dog this time, and one that reminded me of Japan. My Sammy's name was Sasha and she passed away over 13 years ago and I still miss her. She was a really sweet dog and very easy to keep clean, other than the fur everywhere!
  • KateLP820KateLP820
    Hi I'm currently talking to a breeder (have been for almost a month) I have been searching for a shiba inu since november. I'm getting a little frustrated because I'm not sure if I have been approved by this breeder. I want the puppy so much and I'm so excited I just have not gotten the ok yet...The puppy is around 3 weeks old. If any one has any advice that would be great. Please PM me for more details - thanks

hopeful owner :)
  • @KateLP make sure you read the threads on how to find a good breeder, and how to spot a puppy mill, so you can make sure you are choosing a good breeder. The breeder should tell you whether they are willing to sell you a puppy, but if they are trying to decide between show homes and pet homes, sometimes they don't know til just before the puppies go out to their new homes, so it may be a bit still.
  • 9-10 loooong months with Panko with a lot of ups and downs along the way. Totally worth it though.
    Panko!
  • ArcticArctic
    Off topic, but have I mentioned how much I love the name Panko for your pup?!
  • comihacomiha
    Met my breeder at the end of July 2012; picking up my boy (name TBD) over Easter weekend. 8 months and well worth it!
  • KateLP820KateLP820
    @lemonchicken that is what the breeder is trying to decide. She wants to keep one and there are only 2
  • DabishDabish
    One year and still waiting...the breeder I decided on became significantly less helpful and interested in me after I felt comfortable enough to put down a $250 deposit. But I'll have none of that shady business, so I ate the deposit and am in the process of searching for a breeder all over again...I'm generally not a very patient person so this is difficult for me
    -_- There's a DC shiba inu rescue though, and even though he's not a puppy, there's a dog named Bear on there who is just really, really cute who I applied to adopt
  • janjan
    We waited for almost 1.5 years (on the waiting list for 1 year, with 6 months of research prior to picking a breeder) before getting Bandit in May 2012. My husband and I wanted a black and tan Shiba Inu and they are not very common here. So we decided to wait and see if we'd get lucky.
    See what Bandit's up to from my blog: Shorty&Me
  • orangedoggieorangedoggie
    I hope you get Bear. He looks so cute. DCSIR is awesome!

Dabish said:

One year and still waiting...the breeder I decided on became significantly less helpful and interested in me after I felt comfortable enough to put down a $250 deposit. But I'll have none of that shady business, so I ate the deposit and am in the process of searching for a breeder all over again...I'm generally not a very patient person so this is difficult for me
    -_- There's a DC shiba inu rescue though, and even though he's not a puppy, there's a dog named Bear on there who is just really, really cute who I applied to adopt

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)