For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Puppy Classes in the NYC area
  • kagurarapkagurarap
    Hi everyone,

As some may know I have a Shiba pup who's going to be 5 months on February 1st. I know Shibas are a challenge to train and so I was wondering if anyone in the New York area has had any good experience with classes? Affordable classes I can attend on weekends? Are they worth it?

Thanks! :D
  • BootzBootz
    What do YOU classify as affordable?
    And yes the classes are always worth it if it provides your shiba puppy with the ability to socialize with other dogs in a safe environment as well as teach you how to train your shiba.

Post edited by Bootz at 2013-01-25 14:55:18
  • RikkaRikka
    Yes, they're worth it. You should've invested in them when your Shiba was even younger, but at least you're thinking about it now.

I went to Google and typed in 'NYC puppy classes' -- this is what I got:

http://www.andreaarden.com/
    http://www.empireofthedog.com/
    http://www.brooklyndogtrainingcenter.com/
    http://www.instinctdogtraining.com/
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I didn't get my boy until he was 5 months, but from the moment we got him even through now (13 months) we have always attended 1 if not 2 training classes a week. It is great for the dog, socialization, learning, and working in environments around people/dog distractions. It is also great as you learn a lot and go through your own learning curve on what training techniques are good, I encourage positive techniques like clicker training. You really begin to bond fuller with your dog by valuing and prioritizing training, not because the dog is difficult Shiba, but because like any child it is a learning and growing process supported by professional knowledge when you attend classes. I suggest at least going to class until you can pass a CGC (canine good citizen) test with your pup.
  • They are definitely worth it. The links Rikka posted are some of the places I looked into when I was searching for puppy training for Neo. I eventually went with Empire of The Dog. I believe it's mainly based in Brooklyn. (not sure where in the city you are at). We had Denise as our trainer, and she was really good and uses positive training techniques, which is a plus. It was a 4 week class and it met every Saturday. And we also went to puppy socialization meet ups that they offered every week as well (those were free). I have to admit by the 3rd week of training, Neo was getting a bit bored of the classes, so towards the end of the 1 hour session, he'd get real antsy and tend not to listen to whatever commands she had us do. We still finished the rest of the classes though, even if it was just to socialize with the other puppies.
  • kagurarapkagurarap
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all the recommendations! I've only had Tali for about a month or so, so there was a lot of getting what she needed like vaccines and supplies happening that classes didn't seem to fit the budget at the time - she also got sick unexpectedly. But she just got her final boosters today so she's good for the rest of the year and I'd really like to take her to classes because I know Shibas can be a handul and it will probably help both of us a lot. I'm based here in the Bronx and can get to the city easily, but if it's worth traveling farther out, I'm sure Tali wouldn't mind an adventure.

Looks like Empire is 200 something for 6 weeks, that's not bad. Also since Chirpy81 had a good experience, maybe they're worth checking out and traveling for. Looks like there's a good option in the Bronx too http://www.bronxvetcenter.com/services_dog_training.php - will definitely check them all out. I can't wait to take her to classes! Yay!
  • I am using School for the dogs (http://www.schoolforthedogs.com/). They are located on 3rd Ave and 18th street.

Cost is about 250 for 5 classes (each class has 4 puppies. They also have private session, but more expensive), and they teach a different class every weekend (good for me because i can only attend weekend classes). Butter learned come/sit/down/up from them, and i still use their techniques to train her everyday.

We signed up for 5 classes and will be going every weekend. If you sign up, maybe Butter (She is also 5 month old) and Tali can meet and play?
  • jennajenna
    Snick and I went to Stacy Alldredge at Who's Walking Who for his first couple rounds of obedience classes when he was a youngster. I liked Stacy OK, but I felt like her approach was too "once size fits all."

I met Andrea Arden not long after that through an organizers meetup that we were both part of. I started using her and her trainers for Shiba meetup group classes and I also attended several agility and tricks classes with her trainers. I LOVED working with Andrea. She understands the primitive breeds and Snick loved her.

I don't remember how much the classes were, but they were all fun and all worth it.
    jenna -> founder of nyc shiba rescue, inc.
    snickers -> master of shiba mind control
    jennaandsnickers.com
  • kagurarapkagurarap
    @djiksong 3rd avenue and 18th street, is that close to the 3rd avenue stop on the L train? The pricing sounds good. Do you have to attend classes in a row for weekends? Like 5 classes in a row? Sounds promising - will definitely check it out once I have the budget for this. Definitely saving bc Tali needs to get her puppy butt out there with all the other puppies. Thanks for the recommendation.

@Jenna Oh cool, is Andrea part of the "who's walking who" or she's a private trainer of some sort? I definitely want someone who teaches with positive reinforcement - also interested in clicker training, I hear that's promising. Thanks for the tips.
  • jennajenna
    @kagurarap, Oops, sorry! I didn't link to Andrea because someone had linked to her earlier in the thread. She has her own school and several trainers who work for her. She's on the Board of Animal Haven in Soho and uses their event space for a lot of classes. They do classes in other locations as well, which you can see on their class schedule.

jennaandsnickers.com
    Post edited by jenna at 2013-01-29 23:34:37
  • jennajenna
    Links don't show up very distinctly in this new format... in case you can't tell, there are links in the text of my post. They show up better when you hover over them!
    jennaandsnickers.com
  • @kagurarap yes, it is close to L stop on 14th street. They give you 3 months, and you can finish the 5 classes anytime within that time.
  • Bump. For new Yorkers with new puppies "dog days of New York" offers free puppy socializing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)