For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Cold Weather and Pee Pee
  • Butter is 4 months old now, and she loves going outside. However, It is about 19F in New York now, and she doesn't pee when she is outside....sometimes she holds it for over 10 hours, and we have to go out a few times a night? Is the cold weather a factor here?
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I don't know about cold weather, but here in Florida when Bear was young we had issues when we had several days of rainy weather where is was harder to get out on any regular schedule.
  • MikoMiko
    I think it could be the cold weather, im also in NY and with the weather being hot and cold Miko hasn't really grown in a thick undercoat so on walks he trys to hurry along and not really care to pee. Since Tuesday I started putting a sweater on him to go out and he's been much better. Maybe you can try putting a shirt or sweater on her?
    Post edited by Miko at 2013-01-25 13:04:34
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    Just because they might not have a thick coat, you should also be concerned about their feet getting cold. We live in IL and have been having some cold weather and our Shibas start to lift their paws because they are too cold. Be careful.
  • MikoMiko
    Thanks @brscrns I havent seen any problems with his paws but ill definitely look for that when were out
  • Watch out for the salt people are laying on the sidewalks too. Poor dramatic Tenchi stepped on some twice and yellped like he was dying and I had to carry him 3 blocks because he refused to put his paws back down
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @BMayfield, that is so funny ... recently Bear stepped on something, we never figured out what, but he was such a drama king about keeping his paw lifted for the rest of the evening. He even walked limping ... at first we were very concerned, but based on later in the evening and the next day we are 99.9% confident he was just being dramatic.
  • LosechLosech
    I have learned how to differentiate between "Oh, my foot, it hurts. Do something, human slave." and "MY FOOT HURTS DO SOMETHING!" If he's doing the princess paws thing, it's not a big deal, but if he's holding up a paw without that Shiba attitude and flair... gotta get that foot checked out quick. This pertains to everything from cold to hot weather, sidewalks to leaves, pebbles, sand... And if there is a lot of drama involved, it is most likely him just being a dork.

Putting a sweater or coat on your pup might help, or it might not. Just depends on how well that particular Shiba decides to like, or dislike, wearing something. Conker used to hate his sweater (got it as a joke) until we spent a few months in Alaska this past winter. When it's -30 or colder out, the dog is gonna wear a dang sweater whither he wants to or not. He eventually began to like the sweater and would get miffed if I didn't put it on him anytime it was below zero.

Anywho, Conker learned that I'll stay out there for as long as it takes for him to do his thing, so he'd better hurry up if the weather is not suitable to his tastes.
    Post edited by Losech at 2013-01-25 16:44:25
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @Losech, luckily I have only now seen his drama side ... he had me so worried I had him in my lap inspecting his paw multiple times and feeling the joints with every worry running through my head. Only calming thing was my husband told me it seemed to happen when he was laying down in our driveway, so we think something (like an ant hill) may have bit him. He also had moments he forgot he was "acting" during our shortened pee/poo evening walk and he would run ahead of us normal then look back and all of a sudden give a little limp.
  • Thank you so much for all the advice!!!! Picturing the dramatic leg lifting gave me a big smile haha. i will try to put on a coat for her and see what happens.

Off topic: She is 4 months old, about 10lbs, is that very light for her age....does that mean she will be a smaller Shiba than usual? She eats well though......
  • Btw, Butter poops more than she pees...so funny. Past few days, she will poop 4 times a day, but only pee twice...so weird. So when she pees, it is like waterfall!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)