For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
DIY Toy Box
  • I imagine I'm not the only one who has a million toys laying around the house. It can get old pretty fast when you're constantly stepping on things and nearly twisting your ankle, so I wanted to find something that could hold all of the dog toys when we weren't playing with them. The problem I ran into was that I wanted something that looked nice since it was going to be out in the living room. I first tried using a woven basket, which quickly ended up as a shredded pile of wicker on the floor. Then while I was at Michaels this weekend I spotted these wood crates for $12.

I picked one up and immediately knew that it would work perfectly! It's a great size, has a good weight to it so she can't tip it over, and I would be able to decorate it to my heart's desire. I'm a lover of all things antique and vintage looking so that was my inspiration for the toy box.

First I bought some dark stain (Rust-oleum Kona, $5 at Lowes) and stained it to look sort of distressed. I knew that I wanted to write something on it, so I ended up with the word "toys". Not very creative, I know. I found a font that I liked and printed out the word as big as I could fit it on one sheet of paper. Then I just made a stencil and used a huge Sharpie to fill in the letters. I could have painted it but I figured the matte black would be more rustic looking. I may add in a paw print or some other decoration later, but for now this is what I ended up with. I think it turned out pretty good!

• LosechLosech
    That's pretty neat looking! I just use a random plastic storage box, but that one is way cooler.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I think that came out great looking. I use a very large wicker basket ... so far I am lucky it hasn't met with any destruction interest.
  • InuzooInuzoo
    Very nice! It does look like an vintage child's toy box. I use a wicker basket and Zooey climbs in to find what she's looking for.
  • XabiXabi
    It does look great. Nice work!
    X & I signature smaller
  • KimuraKimura
    That looks awesome! Sturdy and stylish!
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    We just use a plastic storage bin for a few every day toys. we can't leave all of the toys out since we have to supervise when some of the toys are being played with.
  • Thank you for all the nice comments! I think it'll work well.

we can't leave all of the toys out since we have to supervise when some of the toys are being played with.

We have to do the same. I also keep some out just so we can rotate them for interest. I piled them all in just for the pictures sake.
  • tatonkatatonka
    This is exactly what I needed.

Every time I'm in a video chat: Ooh your house is so messy!

Me: Noo. Dog toys, come on
    Monkey!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)