For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
First Rally Match 1/20/13
  • Jade and I have our first Rally match tomorrow. Because it is a match, it thankfully will not have titles on the line. There's a rally workshop and then the all breed match. The Bernese Mountain Dog Club is actually sponsoring this event. We are really only going for the practice as well as getting her used to a different training facility. The only problem: no treats are allowed in the ring during the actual match. This will be the first time that Jade will get NOTHING in the ring. I have to now be a cheerleader and hope she doesn't flip me off. Wish me luck...I seriously hope she will surprise me and I will report how everything went after tomorrow.
    Owned and loved by "Jade"
    ~ DOB: 5/18/11~ Cream Shiba ~
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Best of luck, pictures and videos would be great!
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I hope things go well today for you and I look forward to the update on how it went.
  • Well we qualified. A passing score is a 70 and we got a 76. She refused to down and did not want to sit. She lacked attention and basically blew me off. It was a new environment with new dogs, new smells, and new everything. I was so nervous and that did not help. I also was not allowed to reward with anything other then my voice but it had snowballed so far from the beginning, that I took the rest of the course way to seriously and just wanted to be done with it. We got 3rd place out of 4 dogs. I have a lot to work on but at least this experience gave me a baseline to work from. Just wish we had done better so I could be bragging about how amazing my Shiba did in Rally. :)
    Owned and loved by "Jade"
    ~ DOB: 5/18/11~ Cream Shiba ~
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I think it is great you did it and that is bragging rights.

I hope to do Rally this year with Bear. I had hoped to do agility but he has such a high run drive can't trust him off leash (yet). I am hoping Novice Rally can be a stepping stone for us and give me the breathing room on leash in that environment.

You also learn more through failure than success so don't short change the experience!

My only problem is where to start as I don't know of a Rally course in my area to teach me what I need to teach Bear before even seeking out a trial situation to try it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)