For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Moving Tips - Effects on Puppy?
  • ArcticArctic
    Next week I will be moving. It will only be about 10-15 minutes away from my current home. My puppy, Sansa, is 7 months old and she has only ever lived in our home since I picked her up from the breeder, with only sporadic sleep overs at my girlfriend's house.

The house I am moving into has much more space and a fenced-in yard, which will be GREAT for Sansa. The house is literally maybe four times as big as the apartment where I live with my mother now.

While the space will be great, I can see Sansa missing my mother, whom she loves very much (and my mother loves her back! And she always said she wasn't a dog person LOL). I am moving in with four friends, only one of which Sansa is familiar with, which means 3 new people around all the time.

Any tips, advice, or moving experiences you guys can share with me? I'm excited for the space and she should love it, but I'm sad that she'll be away from my mother and I'm nervous about her being overwhelmed by so many new faces in her living space now. Hopefully she acclimates well.
  • XabiXabi
    I think you guys should be okay. You may have to reintroduce some potty training skills in the new place. Have lots of treats for your new roomies to offer Sansa to promote bonding. I'd also lay down the law regarding your expections for maintaining your dog's safety (e.g. don't leave the doors/gates open, etc.). If you haven't microchipped Sansa, I would look into that ASAP.

As far as being apart from your mother, since you won't be too far away I'd try to see if you can schedule some together time for just the three of you once a week or so. My oldest has some strong attachments to specific people he adores, so seeing them is special treat for him. Hopefully your mother would still be willing to watch him for overnights if you're out of town or something. You might get her to rub a clean cloth over her head & neck or old garment she's going to get rid of to bring along to the new house so Sansa will have a scent to remember her by and give him some comfort.
    X & I signature smaller
  • britkotsubritkotsu
    We have moved 3 times in the past 2 years with my Kishi. She was 6 months old during the first move. She did quite well. I think her being crate trained was the best thing. Everywhere we went we tried to put her crate in a similar location. That way she always had her constant space no matter where we were. We tried to keep her schedule as close to what she was used to as possible. Also we got some super great treats that would keep her busy during the actual moving process. She showed some signs of being stressed the first couple days (being lethargic, not eating much, etc.) but she pirked right up after that each time. Good luck with your move and I'm sure she will be fine. Also make sure the new room mates carry around some extra special treats to give to her at random intervals. She should warm up quite nicely if they are associated with yummy treats.
  • BootzBootz
    If possible I would switch back and forth between places until Sansa is use to the new home. I remember reading how some members' shiba really got affected by the move. I'm currently bouncing between two places, 1 hr away from each other. That gave Bootz and Jackie time to adjust to the new home without feeling "OMG WHERE IS MY OLD HOME". House training Jackie again was definitely a problem at first, but it took a couple months to adjust. With Bootz...well she is a shiba ;) what can I say? She had it down.

All in all you will have to just see how Sansa reacts...but new place + new people will be overwhelming.
    Post edited by Bootz at 2013-01-10 12:27:57
  • ArcticArctic
    Gaahhh I hope her house-training holds.

Knock on wood, but she never had an accident after hitting the 10 week mark, ever. And she never has had an accident at any other place: relatives' houses, girlfriend's house, friends' houses. She's been great, and I only take her our twice a day. Hopefully she keeps being good about it.

Luckily, due to the proximity of the new place, our routine will not change, at all. We'll still wake up and walk and eat at the same time.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
  • ArcticArctic
    I took her to the house today and let her sniff around for an hour. She seemed curious as to the new place but seemed to enjoy the space! We'll be making a more final transition on Friday night, but I'll be bringing her by every night this week until then and letting her roam. Hopefully she takes to it. She seemed very excited to meet one of my roommate that was there, and I made sure he gave her lots of yummy treats to build a positive association.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Kuma never cares where he is, as long as some familiar face is there he is happy. Oh it also helped before bringing him into a new house, that he has been walked around the neighborhood and park if close by, to wear him out and be a lil more mellow in the new environment.
  • Good luck moving! I think she will be perfectly fine! It's so amazing that you are able to let her go to the house before the move. Believe me, it WILL HELP SO MUCH that you're doing this with Sansa. She will very much appreciate the house introduction!

My husband and I moved from our 1 bedroom apartment to a huge house with a fenced in back yard about a month and a half ago, so I'm definitely speaking from personal experience. Maggie was about 8 months old when we started moving. We were lucky enough to have about 2 weeks to make a complete transition because of some work we wanted done on the house before we broke it off with the apartment. So we took Maggie for walks around her new neighborhood, let her play in the backyard, and we even spent the night once or twice in the new house so she could get used to where her crate would be. It worked out so smoothly. It was a really really great transition. I know not everyone is lucky enough to have enough time to introduce a new house to their dog, but I'm so thankful that we were able to do that. And since you are too, it will absolutely be a huge benefit to both you and your girl.

As far as potty training problems, like I said, we were able to walk Maggie around her neighborhood and she was able to go outside in her backyard before we actually moved, so she was able to get a really good idea of where she was supposed to go to the bathroom. When we were at the apartment, she frequently had accidents a couple times a week because she didn't let us know she had to go. Since being at the house for the past month and a half, I'm pretty sure she has only had one accident at the very beginning when we had people over. (She got confused, I think...) She runs right to the backdoor and starts stratching at it when she has to be let out and she gets a treat when she comes back inside. :)

Good luck on your move! Like I said, we just went through the same thing with our puppy, so I would love to hear more about your progress too!
  • ArcticArctic
    Thanks for sharing your experience, @Sarah_Jay12! She didn't seem at all uncomfortable last night when we were there for a while. She just explored and everyone once in a while come back to check where I am. I'm moving from a 1 bedroom apartment to a 5 bedroom house, so it's definitely a big change.

I think she will be ok when I move her stuff over since it'll be somewhat familiar, and I'll be there as well, obviously. As for house-training, right now she's 7 months old and I take her out twice a day during the week and that's it. I take her out at around 7 am and then around 5:30. I try to take her out around 10 or 11 before bed, but she's usually zonked out by then so it's not necessary. Hopefully this continues! Thanks for your input, I'll definitely be updating how it goes.
  • In the past my dogs seem to get more worried about the packing than the actual relocating. At the new place they tend to pace around and investigate the house, but usually get used to it pretty quickly. Of course they might be a bit more clingy too.
  • ArcticArctic
    Everything went well with the move. Sansa has adjusted well. The only small issue is that she has only ever lived in a house with two people who are very quiet. Now, with three additional people, she's not used to the hustle and bustle of everyone being up and moving around, so in the mornings when she hears peoples stirring and coming out of their rooms she tends to bark, which is strange since she's typically always been very, very quiet. Hopefully this will subside as time goes by.

One thing that I'd LOVE some advice on: she refuses to go to the bathroom in our yard! In our last place, she'd pee happily in the same spot, admittedly a bit away from our front door, although she'd never poop in our yard. Now, she seems to hold even her pee. She only peed twice yesterday, and didn't poop all day. I thought that I'd wait her out so I'd take her out very often and try to get her to poop, and nothing. Walking her on the leash, letting her roam off-leash in the yard...nothing worked.

This morning I finally broke since I didn't want to leave her with an full bladder and not having pottied when I left for work, so we went on a walk and she pooped and peed almost IMMEDIATELY as soon as we crossed the street.

Now, I walk her several times a day, so it's really not an issue, but I'd LOVE for her to be used to going in our yard in case I ever need her to go right away. Does anyone have any tips on how to encourage her going in our yard? She ends up sitting down and looking at me and whining if we stay out too long. She seems to hold it purposely there. Any thoughts? If I could just get her to go I'd praise and treat her heavily. As of now, she NEEDS to go on a walk off our property to go, and otherwise she'll hold it.
  • Since you're living with roommates you need to be firm with them.

I had roommates who played too rough with benny and wanted to give him human food. Let your friends know that Sansa is your dog. And how your dog is treated (only fed at certain times etc etc).

Benny won't go in his yard either, so we just have to walk him. But the yard it a great place for him to play. Its funny he'll go in other people's fenced in yards but would go in ours (we didn't have a fence but we'd walk him on leash.

Maybe another dog in the yard would encourage it?
    Benny Bear. Shiba Inu year and a half old living in Tempe, AZ
  • MikoMiko
    Miko won't go in the yard either, so i always have to walk him. There was only one time he peed in the yard months ago, that was because my friend brought her puppy over and miko got excited, couldn't hold it any longer. So maybe another dog being brought in may help.
  • RyanRyan
    It'll be fine. I moved 3000km with Bella when she was around 6months old. Then at 10months I ended it with my long term girlfriend. Bella and Suki didn't seem fazed that she was gone. On the other hand, if I have to travel for work (my brother house sits) they miss me like mad..

Why not carry a poop back and put it in the yard?

I taught Suki where to pee by walking outside with him and I would pee in a certain area, and now he pees in that area. Being male is certainly an advantage.
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • Kuma1026Kuma1026
    This is great advice and I'm happy there is a thread about this! Maybe someone can critique our approach on doing this? We really want our pup to have the most minimal effects of not feeling 'abandoned' (pre-planning since my rescue dog Duke was abandoned by his previous owner and it affected his personality). Anyways my gf lives in tampa, I live in orlando. We will be getting our shiba pup sometime in october and we are planning to have the pup (Kuma) stay at my gf's apartment (she lives alone fyi) for the time being since she will have the most time to be with the pup as her grad school schedule is flexible of taking care of him...but by 3 months or so Kuma will be living at my house with his big brother Duke, my german shepherd/hound. The whole goal is to have Kuma and Duke stay together, but due to my work schedule I won't be able to have time to go home during lunch (that's why Ku will be staying with my gf). We visit each others places weekly, so will Ku will see both Duke and my house often. Do you think since Ku sees me on a weekend basis, Ku won't get the feeling of being abandoned by my gf (since she can't stay in orlando as she has school in tampa) when he finally moves into my house with his big bro? I'm just afraid that since Ku will be mostly spending the early of his puppy life with my gf, he is gonna feel like she is abandoning him (which she isn't since she will be visiting me/I visit her on a weekend basis). I just dont want Ku to experience what my rescue dog Duke has experienced before :(. Any other tips?
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    BUMP!!!!

We closed on our new house this morning! :)

My fiance had the day off and was in the new house most of the day, inspecting everything, changing the locks, etc.

After work I brought Kira to the new place, as well as bringing some essentials to make her comfortable and happy. Some balls to play with in the yard, a frisbee, treats, and a duck foot. Kira loves the yard and inspected every area of the house without hesitation. She also peed within 5 minutes of being in the backyard which was a huge relief!

My biggest concern was the hardwood floors, but it didn't seem to bother her and she finally laid down and relaxed after I finally sat in the room with her.

We won't be actually moving anything into the house until next week, but I felt it was important that I take her to the new place as often as possible so that she will be more comfortable after our move!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Congrats! Very exciting!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Kira_Kira - Congrats! :-D

I have moved several times with my girls, and they have always adjusted very quickly to the new place as long as all "their" furniture was there. The hardest transition has been the most recent where I moved from a house in a rural-ish area to a condo in a major metropolitan area... Dealing with neighbour noise has been the worst of it, though.

I am sure Kira will adjust just fine once you guys move in completely.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • hayleyhayley
    I'm moving Saturday from a rural area to a downtown urban area. I can't see the apartment or take Hiro downtown because I won't be able to see the place till my move in day and I have finals this week. I'm so worried about how he's going to do going from living in a house near a wooded area to living on the third floor of a highrise. He's going to have to go down elevators to go to the park across the street to go potty and then there's all the dogs and people downtown. He's not aggressive but he gets really excited, yelps, jumps, and leash pulls like mad when he sees strangers or other dogs. I will have concrete floors in our efficiency so even if he forgets his potty training it won't be to difficult to clean up.

I think I'm more worried than anything that it's going to be to much change all at once and I feel terrible that I can't transition him more smoothly. On top of that, two days after we move I start a May mini semester so I'll be gone in the evenings from 6-10 but the rest of the time I'll be home. Our schedule is definitely going to change because mine is changing. I just feel a little overwhelmed I guess. He takes change really well so I probably don't have anything to worry about but it's just hard to know for sure whether he'll do okay.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @hayley - Depending on where you are located, you may be able to find some "city dog" classes that will help with the transition. In the meantime, you really should work on socializing him with urban sights/sounds BEFORE you move. Otherwise, the move is going to be a major shock, especially living in a highrise. Has he ever been in an elevator? If not, be prepared to carry him.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • hayleyhayley
    @sunyata I am locating to the Dallas, TX area, so I will try and run a google search for that. I have the day before we move that I could take him downtown to see how he does. But as I said I'm in the middle of college finals. I was planning on bringing him downtown sooner but the date kept getting pushed because of school (I know, not a good excuse). I took him to a Starbucks once near downtown and he did really well but I think it's a llitle different of an environment. I should clarify that Arlington where we are at currently is part of the DFW area so it's not out in the country but it's definitely not downtown in an apartment. I don't think he's ever been in an elevator. At least he's not full grown yet so he won't be to difficult to carry. Thanks for the tips on all of this. It's very appreciated.
  • hayleyhayley
    Just wanted to give a little update on Hiro and how he's doing with the move. He's transitioned beautifully. He loves downtown, the apartment, the park, and isn't even phased by the elevators, busy street noises, or other dogs and strangers downtown. I'm completely shocked, but in a good way. I expected him to have a much steeper learning curve. He hasn't shown any signs of stress, the only signs of change in behavior he showed were sleeping more the first couple days, probably to process everything. It's nothing I did, it's all his personality. He just takes things in stride I guess. Just thought I would let you guys know and again reiterate how much I appreciate the initial advice given. He's starting puppy classes in the area this coming week as well.
  • I wanted to bump this thread.

Ham and I moved into a new apartment this past weekend. He seemed a little stressed during the moving process but I did my best to keep him occupied with fun toys, treats and doggy daycare visits.

We are now in the new place and not everything is unpacked yet as I'm juggling moving and research at school, but at our new place, Ham has hated his crate. He never really had a problem with his crate--but at the same time, he never loved it. He never choses to rest in there on his own (he prefers to lie on my feet) but he was quiet in his crate at our old place when I went to work.

I took a few short trips over the weekend (after the move) and left him in his crate with no problem, but today, when I went to work, he screamed for a good hour. When I came home for lunch, I gave him an extra long walk. He whined for 10 mins when I left again, however when I came home in the evening, he was screaming. (I've been hanging around in the hallway for a while before I leave for real. I'm as quiet as I can be, and I'm further down the hall.

I'm trying to figure out what is upsetting him the most. I know he's sad that I'm gone, but I've kept our routine. Perhaps it's that boxes are still everywhere and I'm still unpacking, but I'm working as fast as I can.

I'm really worried because when he whines and yells, you can hear him in the hallway. In fact, if I am standing in the hallway, I can hear anything happening in any of my neighbor's apartments. When I'm further inside my apartment, I can't hear them, but I'm still paranoid that when I leave at 8am, that Ham is disturbing everyone. When I came back for lunch today, I sent everyone near our unit a letter explaining that Ham is adjusting and that they are welcome to come talk to me if he's too disruptive.

No one has talked to me about it yet.

Ham gets tons of yummy treats and toys in his crate when I leave (today he ignored all of them). I used to put him in his ex-pen, but he can climb out so no more ex-pen. He's only a year old and I don't want to give him free roam (especially since he still chews a lot).

I am going to make his morning walks a bit longer to tire him out a little more and after I come home in the evenings, I'll practice leaving with him, but if anyone has any other advice, I'm all ears.

Maybe he just needs time, but most of the posts on this thread involve nice adjustments. Anyone go through something similar to Ham and I?
  • JuniJuni
    I would try to use Adaptil plug in for awhile, it has a mild calming effect and might help.
  • thanks @Juni

I will see if my local pet store has some; I'll plug it in when I leave tomorrow.

This morning went well though. We went for a walk at 5:30a and came back in at 7a for some play time. At 7:45a I began packing up to go to work. Ham was calm throughout.

Before I left. I took out all his treats, his kongs with his breakfast and lunch (I mixed his kibbles with some Honest Kitchen Zeal and froze them overnight), his favorite brand of bully stick, some new treats we got from the Humane Society at the Atlanta pride parade and some of the newest toys/treats from last month's BarkBox. I let him smell each one (no tastes though) before I put it in his crate and closed the door. By the time I put the last treat in there, he was excited to go into his crate.

I put on my shoes and bookbag and he was sitting patiently next to his crate like he used to at our old apartment before I went to work. I told him to be a good boy, that I loved him and that I'll be back just like I always do and told him to go to jail. He jumped in and began playing with all the stuff in there.

When I exited, he did give me a sad face before I closed the door, but he was completely silent this morning. No screaming, no tantrums, no upset neighbors. We'll see how he does this evening after lunch.
  • @Justifiedgaines-I hope that your little boy Ham will continue being fine when you leave. It sounds like he is already transitioning very well. Good luck!
  • I wanted to give an update.

So I thought things were going well. Ham gets a long walk in the morning followed by another long walk at lunchtime. When I leave after each walk to go to work, he's been silent and invested in eating his treats. And when I come home he has been sleeping. It's been two weeks so far and after those first couple of days, I thought things were going smoothly.

However, I talked with my next door neighbor today, she told me that Ham has been crying nonstop about an hour after I leave. I asked if the crying has been any better since when I first started, and she said no and that she hasn't been able to get any work done (she works from home). I asked why she didn't tell me earlier (I had touched base with my all neighbors when I first moved in and they said they'd let me know if he was disturbing them) and she said she was moving soon anyway so she decided not to tell me. She told me she had to go somewhere so our conversation didn't move any further than that. But she seemed really annoyed with me so I don't know if approaching her right now would be wise.

I also ran into a girl who lives down the hall. She said she heard him crying on Thursday; however, when she was in her apartment, she couldn't hear him. It was when she entered the hall that she heard him.

When I went to church tonight, Ham was whining when I came back (he probably had been crying as well). I took him outside for an hour before I went to church, but we didn't get much walking done. In Atlanta, once a year they close down Peachtree Street (the street I live on) and they opened up the road exclusively to pedestrians, bikes and other non-motorized vehicles. Tons of people came out and many brought their dogs. Ham is extremely people friendly and dog friendly, but he gets upset if he doesn't get to say hello to every single dog or every single person. I'm working on it with him, and it was my fault that I forgot to bring treats (I didn't know that this was happening today). Ham was way too distracted to get a lot of walking done so he wasn't tired when we came back.

When I left for church he was silent, but when I arrived home I noticed that he ignored his kong and other foodstuffs in his crate.

So now that I know he is still barking, I spent the better part of the day thinking of something else to do. Ham loves his ex-pen, but if he gets out, he will chew on anything and everything in the house. A few weeks ago he climbed out and so I resolved to putting him back in his crate.

Last week, I purchased a ex-pen cover. It has straps to loop through the bars, so Ham shouldn't be able to climb out of it. I am going to try putting him back in his playpen while I'm gone. Hopefully he is more receptive to it than he is to his crate. Some day this week (probably Thursday) I will hunker down in the hallway all day to listen and see if he is crying and for how long. I also was recommended a baby monitor app that has a sound level indicator and can also send me a notification when the sound level is high. I will probably download that tomorrow and test it out.

Hopefully this helps but I am almost at my wit's end with thinking of what to do. My next step is to contact a behavioralist if nothing changes this week or next week. I'm beginning to worry that this might be separation anxiety and not as related to the move as I thought it was... because Ham has been increasingly more cuddly over the past month (even before the move) more demanding of my physical affection, which I don't mind, but it's worrying that this is overlapping with his recent distress while I'm gone.
  • JuniJuni
    Have you looked into having him at doggy day care or let a neighbour take care if him at day time?
  • @Juni

He goes to daycare on Fridays and he has a dogwalker come by on Thursdays. All other days, I'm able to take him out during my lunch break myself. At this point, taking him to daycare more than once a week is too cost prohibitive. Most of my neighbors are gone during the day also.

I've met several of the residents who are here all day and they don't know much about dogs in general so I'm hesitant to leave Ham with them. I am still meeting people though, so maybe I'll find someone.
  • @justifiedgaines-Have you tried the Adaptil collar? It can help ease some of the anxiety. Also, playing some relaxing music while you are gone or leaving the radio for him might help. When you come home please try to not reinforce his excitement. In other words, when he sees you and he jumps around try to ignore that until he settles down. When he calms down then greet him. Also, when you leave try to be matter of fact about it. I give Quakey a treat and a cue "Guard the castle my angel". I do not make a big deal out of leaving and use a matter of fact voice. I give him his very favorite treat and I only give that particular treat to him when I will be leaving for work or leaving for a while to go somewhere else. Another thing I have done is to divide his breakfast. He gets one half of his breakfast 30 minutes after his morning walk. Then I give him the rest of his meal in a Kong while I am putting on my clothes to leave. This way he focuses on the Kong instead of focusing on my getting dressed to leave. Watch his body language to see when he starts to show stress and try to distract him. I hope he gets better soon. I totally feel for you. My Quakey had mild separation anxiety and it took a while for him to heal. Hiring an experience behaviorist trainer and also getting a consultation with a vet behaviorist really helped. Good luck and keep us updated.
  • I want to give an update on Ham.

Just for starters, I've never made a big deal out of leaving or arriving back home. No high pitched voice, no excitement on my end. When I come home, he doesn't get any attention aside from a flat 'hello' or taken out of his crate/ex-pen until he's relaxing calmly (usually about seven mins or so). I always leave the radio or a podcast on when I leave. He has the same cue when I leave and when I return. He eats his breakfast and lunch inside of his playpen while I'm gone. I refill his food after we come back from our walk.

He isn't stressed out when I'm preparing to leave, he plays with his toys and knocks over my folded blankets. And I always come home to take him on a walk at lunch, or have Nikita, a friend of mine, take him out. And before I leave for the day, he gets at least an hour long walk followed by 30 mins of fetch inside. And then daycare on Fridays.

None of this has changed pre/post move.

Some things that have changed:

Firstly: I have completely finished moving in. I have all my wall decorations/things up that had been sitting on the floor in the corner (guitars, ukuleles, chalkboard, flags). Boxes have been recycled/put away. All these things took up a good bit of floor space (we're in a studio now) and now Ham has more room to run around while I'm home and the place is much neater and looks like my room at our old apartment now.

Second: My neighbor finished moving out. Turns out, she was drilling and hammering things when I was gone those first few days. So in addition to there being new smells, surroundings, there were also scary sounds coming from the room next door and I think that contributed to Ham's anxiety too.

Third thing: I got a baby monitor app. I leave my iPad at home during the day so I can play music/podcasts for Ham. So I got an app that lets me turn on the iPad camera and via wifi I can see what's going on. I was able to hear her drilling and hammering through the baby monitor app and I was able to see that it was startling Ham for the first few days after I started watching him. I can play music for him on it and I did get the "Through a Dog's Ear" album for him. I don't know how much it works for him, but he seems much calmer (but that also lined up with when my neighbor stopped making tons of noise next door). And the app will send me notifications if Ham is making noise for more than 5 seconds even if I'm not looking at it, so it's good to know. Although most of the notifications I got were from other people making noise, not Ham.

Fourth: I started putting Ham back in his ex-pen now that his cover for it arrived in the mail; it takes a bit of time to assemble and disassemble his ex-pen set up now, but that's alright. I've also started a rotation for the toys he plays with inside his ex-pen while I'm gone. All of those toys are toys that he doesn't get to play with unless he's in his ex-pen and I am away from home. But every week I will switch them out. I have a rotation of two, but I will buy him some more toys soon/sew up some of this other toys so that I can have three rotations.

Overall, after my neighbor finished moving out and things became quieter, Ham has settled down well. He howls a little bit around 4:45pm, but it isn't loud and for no more than 30 seconds. (Baby monitor has a sound level meter). It's loud enough to be heard in the hallway, but it isn't loud enough to be heard if you are in your own apartment. My other neighbors have been gracious about allowing me to check these things and are used to me sitting in the hallway monitoring Ham and asking if they heard anything at xx time.

My other neighbor's dogs bark at that time (4:45p) and you can hear them in the hallway. I'm sure Ham can hear them too; at that point, I think he's just joining in.

But Ham is adjusting well. I think my neighbor just didn't realize that her moving sounds were disturbing Ham as he was living in this new place. Last week, he didn't bark at all on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday (she was still moving stuff that Monday). He did bark a little bit yesterday when in the morning. He also barked/cried when I left after lunch. That was a mixture of me getting out of a meeting late and rushing home to let him out. Then him getting put in time out for part of his lunch time indoor play time and being cranky about that. Today, just like all of last week, he's been completely silent--playing with his toys, working on his Kongs and other food toys, and napping like a good boy.

But the baby app has been cool. It's called Cloud Baby Monitor. I would definitely recommend it.
  • I am glad that Ham is adjusting. It sounds like he has improved due to the change in circumstances plus your care and love!!
  • BootzBootz
    :) glad he is adjusting. I will look into the baby app!!
  • So this week I did something I never ever thought I would do... I decided to buy a place of residence.

Luckily, this place is in my neighborhood so banjo will already be familiar with his new surroundings. I have a one month lag between closing and my existing lease expiring wherein I was going to do renovations. My thought is to drop banjo off at daycare in the morning, have the move all done and pick him up and bring him to the new place in the evening as if nothing has changed.

Would you do it differently?

• That's what I did with Ham and with my moving situation, I didn't have a choice but to do it that way. If I could do it differently, for your situation, I would introduce Banjo to the new place during your month of lag time so he can be familiar with the new place. I'd take him a couple of times a week to become familiar with the new house. And since it's in your neighborhood, hopefully it won't be to out of the way to take him by there.

Aside from my neighbor's moving, I think Ham was just often genuinely anxious because he was in a new place that he had never seen before. And Ham's alright now but if my moving situation was any different, I would have brought him and let him explore the house/apartment a few times before we moved there.
  • @justifiedgaines,

Thanks!

Here is the issue... the one month of lag time will be for construction/renovation. I don't want to bring him there while people are doing work or there is debris on the floor. I expect renovations to take a few weeks. I am guessing you think it'd be best if in that final week I brought him over to an empty, but renovated condo figuring he'll already be familiar with the furniture?

• Yes!

I think waiting until construction is over then bringing him over would be fine. But even, if the construction is inside, maybe getting him used to walking to and around the building could help too.

• we walk past there every day... its two buildings south of where I am living now. A big part of my decision was not disrupting his life. I won't have floor to ceiling windows overlooking Manhattan anymore, which is sad, but I'll be getting him some way of looking out the window.

• JuniJuni
    We moved into a bigger apartment in the same building as we used to live in last summer. We took her over a few times while cleaning the new empty apartment and as soon as we had started shifting the furniture over and we and our smells were there, Juni just automatically went there after walks.

Sometimes when we walk by our previous entrance she tries to go in there. I usually stop and let her figure it out. After awhile you can almost see her think "oh yeah, ooops, we don't live here anymore"....
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @BanjoTheBetaDog - when we moved into our new house, we also had a nice month of overlapping time to move in. If we went to the new house to clean or move, we would bring Kira with us. It was important that she was a huge part of the entire process of getting used to the new place, since it was new for us as well. Kira transitioned beautifully, we had no issues at all.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • I've been having some issues with Luna (8 months) as we moved into our new apt on Saturday.

At first things were going good, we settled in gave her a bunch of treats. We went on walk in the neighborhood to explore and everything was fine, normal behavior.

Later that day, we went for a walk and she starting walking really fast, almost running, like she need to get somewhere. MY thoughts was she needed to poop as she usually walk at a faster pace when she needs to go, however this was not the case. So we went back home, and I've been trying to get her to play with her old toys and she was warming up to them on Saturday night.

However on Sunday morning, we went for our walk and there was a guy working on a roof. He was using a nail or staple gun, and Luna heard it and freaked. I'm assuming she thought it was firecrackers. She began walking and running aimlessly, till we got home. She then proceeded to look for hiding spots, under couch and bed.

Next time it was time to go out, she had a similar behavior, she was walking super fast aimlessly, not stopping to sniff around or chase squirrels or say hi to other dogs. She peed and won't even take her treats outside anymore. She also doesn't walk to come back home.

This morning I tried giving her water/food but she won't go near it :( We also went on a walk and she exhibited the same behavior. She also now is walking behind the couch and sleeping under the bed.

Super worried, not sure what to do next.
  • She also whining when we get home as well as when we are outside :(
  • JuniJuni
    I forgot to mention that we used an Adaptil plug in in the bedroom, I'm not sure it made much difference in our case, Juni seemed pretty unphased by the move. But I think it could be worth a try if your dog is anxious.
    Or try the collar variety of Adaptil if she is nervous outside too.
    Post edited by Juni at 2015-11-23 09:50:02
  • I agree with @Juni. It sounds like your little girl is anxious. Try the adaptil collar. Also check you tube for Tellington touch massage. It can help calm an anxious dog. You might want to do the Tellington touch massage before and after walks. It has helped my little boy Quakey during his anxious episodes. When your little girl is exhibiting the anxious behavior try to ignore it until she settles down. Talking to her or petting her at that time might reinforce her anxious behavior.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)