For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
5 year old Shiba needs a home in Michigan
  • I received this e-mail from a friend's sister-in-law. My friend knew I had a Shiba and thought I may be able to help. I cannot have another dog but I promised I would help rehome the dog. She appears to be a red sesame maybe? She is fixed and weighs approximately 35 pounds. $250 rehoming fee to ensure she goes to a home that can handle a Shiba.

Hello,
    I was given your email from my husband regarding our 5 year old shiba inu. We rescued her from the jackson county humane society 1 year and three months ago. She is amazing. We instantly fell I in love with her. We have a 6 and 8 year old and we just had another baby. She has been nothing but great with the kids with the exception of when she is sleeping if my daughter startles her she has nipped at her four times in that time frame. The first two i can say that my daughter had jumped on her and scared her and in my opinion any dog might respond that way. She didnt make contact. Instantly sookie felt bad and knew that she did wrong. she has never been aggressive in any other way with the exception of other dogs which i was told was normal for the breed. Two nights ago she was laying on the couch and my daughter pet her on her back and she nipped and made contact with my daughter's face. She only has a small scratch but still. I had a dog trainer come do a temperment test and was told that she shouldnt be around small children. This breaks my whole families hearts but she needs a home with no small children. I don't want to take her back to the humane society in fear they would put her down. She has been nothing but a great pet. I would like this to happen as quickly as possibly because of the risk. If you could please help me i would be forever greatful.
    Thank you for your time,

I have photos I can e-mail. I will also help arrange transportation to meet somewhere if needed.

Please contact me here or at tdickinson0409@gmail.com if you have additional questions or are interested in helping this girl out.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Mtdickinson at 2013-01-08 18:32:53
  • DebDeb
    Ok, let me understand this....the child has startled the dog awake more than once and the dog didn't bite, until the last time? About four times???? An instinctive response of dogs in general is to snap when startled awake. There is a reason for the old saying, "let sleeping dogs lie" and that goes double or more to kids!

Since this dog is now having a problem with children that is apparently escalating due to it's experiences with children in this home, the dog needs a new home immediately. The parents must keep the children from touching the dog or bothering it in any way until a new situation can be found for the dog.

I would suggest rather than trying to extract $250 to prove a home is capable that these people quickly make arrangements and give their dog up to breed rescue! There is a problem here, and I'm not sure it's with the dog.
  • Yes, they need to get in touch with breed rescue. This dog is probably fine, but the circumstances are not.

They should ask for some money for the dog to make sure it gets rehomed in a real home if they're not going through rescue (which they should do), but it is odd they're asking $250 from a dog from the humane society.

Right now, tell them to get in touch with breed rescue, and in the meantime keep the dog crated or very closely supervised when the children are around. But they need to keep the dog until they can get it into a good rescue. and keep the kids away.
  • Does anyone know of a breed rescue in Michigan? That is what I was thinking also but don't know how to locate one. She would give the dog away if she knew it was going to a proper home. They just don't want just anyone getting the dog.
  • tatonkatatonka
    I always think that a good rehoming effort always requires many many pictures (or at least even one).
    Monkey!
  • KimuraKimura
    From what I can see the Midwest rescue covers Michigan: http://shibarescue.org/content/
  • CaliaCalia
    They may want to check the paperwork they signed from the humane society, some of these places require that dogs be returned to them should the family not want the dog anymore.

For shiba rescues, you should probably contact the Midwest Shiba Rescue as they're kind of in that area:
    http://shibarescue.org/content/

Here is a list of shiba rescues on the shiba's breed club site:
    http://www.shibas.org/rescue.html
  • @tatonka I have 3 photos I can send to anyone. I just don't do well with attaching them the way it has to be done.

@Kimura Thanks, that's what I found too but wanted to make sure it was the one everyone was talking about.

@Calia I will mention that to her and see if she needs to be returned.

Thanks.
    Post edited by Mtdickinson at 2013-01-09 09:39:59
  • tatonkatatonka
    Yeah, thanks for updating :)
    Monkey!
  • deerparkdeerpark
    I am in Michigan. I will forward. Best luck to his little darling.
  • What a beautiful face. Poor girl, I just love her.
  • I was looking for a companion for my almost 2 year old. Michigan is not close to me. I'm in Maryland. :(
  • Post edited by Mtdickinson at 2013-01-10 07:04:53
  • sunyatasunyata
    @louielou - Check out DC Shiba Inu Rescue (http://www.dcshibainurescue.org/) or NYCSR (http://nycshibarescue.org/). There are tons of options out there if you are looking to adopt (or even foster) an adult Shiba!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Thank you for the information. I didn't know I had a rescue so close.
  • I live in Michigan. What part of Michigan does this Shiba live in? SIRA is located in the Chicago area and is the closest rescue to where I live. The website is www.savingshibas.com. This is where we adopted our Shiba, Callie, from. @Louielou, I would not rule this dog out yet. People are usually willing to help transport dogs when a person is adopting a dog from further away. I am always willing to help transport, but I never see a transport looking for help in Michigan. Let me know if I can help in transporting this dog anywhere.
  • This shiba is located in Holt (Lansing). She is still looking for a home.
  • And the rehoming fee is negotiable, she just wants to ensure a proper Shiba knowledgable home.
  • My aunt lives in Holt. I can definitely help transport this dog. It is only a 2 hour drive from where I live.
  • RyanRyan
    I had my adopted boy flown down to me. A return flight is insignifcant compared to the TCO of a Shiba. Why bother with a 10hr drive when you could fly? (if you can fly, I'm not from the U.S.)
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • Sookie found a home today with a retired lady with a big fenced in yard!
  • That's great!
  • KimuraKimura
    Oh, that's so great to hear!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)