For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What are your Shiba's Favorite tricks?
  • Just started this thread to see what your Shiba's favorite tricks are! I have never had a dog as smart as these and it amazes me how fast they learn and how many tricks they do!!! Bella does so many tricks now... Her favorites are playing fetch, high fives and jumping through hula hoops during her shiba 500 sessions Lol
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-12-20 12:29:41
  • lucylulucylu
    I don't think Lucy like any tricks. She only does them for food. She does have a vast array of tricks though: sit, shake, lay, rollover, high fives, dances (when I make my hand go in a circular motion she stands on her hind paws and goes in circles, put them up (she puts her front paws on the wall like a criminal) jumps through hoops. She's extremely food motivated so everything was so easy to teach her. Only sit and shake can be done without food visible to her though.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Kumas favorite trick.... Pull the stitching on all his toys and beds, then watch mommy and daddy clean it up!
    Umm but his automatic trick is after a sit, he shakes. Before playing with another dog he either sits or lays down until the dog approaches (unfortunately sometimes the dogdoesn't come close and Kuma starts doing his kangaroo hop to get the owners attention; this needs to stop! Lol)
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-12-20 11:02:44
  • RikkaRikka
    My favorite is definitely Sagan playing dead after you queue it up with your hand forming like a gun and making "shooting" noises.

Another one I fancy is "speak" and "whisper." Speak is a normal bark, whisper is a low growl or quiet bark. He's awesome.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • GatsuGatsu
    Guts loves playing fetch. But his go to move is shake, that's how he gets stuff. He hates bow, sit, and come.

Gidget likes fetch too, her go to move is sit. And she hates all recall too
  • Kari loves to Peek-a-boo and Stick-em-up =]
  • Jibo does a great 'beg'. Sometimes he gets so enthusiastic about it he goes over backwards. Hehe.
  • We taught Mika to roll over when she was a pup...Now she does it very well now

Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
  • @kumadude lol Bella is starting to tear things apart too! @rikka that's cute that your shiba barks and whispers on demand.. Bella doesn't bark at all.. I try to teach her speak but she never barks!!! Ever!!!! Lol it's weird @buckybadger that is so cute...
  • MacMac
    Hayates best trick is getting humans to give him stuff. He has that down.
  • Here is Mika today

Post edited by BuckyBadger at 2012-12-20 14:39:09
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    buckybadger: The video shows a different dog.
  • U mean the our Schipperke, next to Mika?

• brscrnsbrscrns
    Now it works fine. The first time it showed a Shiba for 4 seconds. You do an awesome job at training Mika.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Let's see what tricks/commands does Bear know but not always perform upon request?
    Keep in mind many of these are on leash, reward motivated, and not typically done with significant distance or distractions.

Common ones .... "sit" "lay down" "roll over" "crawl" "bang bang your dead" "where's your tail?" "up" (onto hind legs) "beg" (sitting with front paws up and bent) "stay" "go to mat" "go to crate" "leave it" "take it"

Other things he can do is fetch, retrieve, tug and find toys that make noise hidden within blanket folds.

He can also sit on both sides of a BOSO ball, he really loves it though if I get up on the flat side first and he can come sits below me while I do the work of balancing it.

He can get up on an exercise ball and roll it a short distance with his front paws up on the ball and hind legs walking along the floor.

He can do almost all the agility equipment (not the teeter yet on his own and we backed off the weave poles for better training in the future). Meaning he can jump through a hoop or a tire, he can jump upto about 20" jump, he can go through long curved tunnels, he can run over AFrames and Dog Walks, he can go and stay on a table, ect ...

Things I still want to teach ... "yum yum" (licking his lip), "yell" (shiba yell), "speak" (normal bark), "whisper" (quiet whine), "yawn" and I am adding now lucylu's "put them up" on my list too.
  • I think i'm going to take Mika to a tricks class after her Agility classes

• RyanRyan
    My favorite one is where Bella will smack me in the head if I sleep through an alarm.
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • ShibaBellaShibaBella
    Bella likes to do basic tricks... I am trying to teach her more. Any suggestions? Below is a video of what she can do now

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/ShibaBella/media/93239c5e28f6cd5f18e551f2f5f5665c_zps05a13405.mp4.html
    Post edited by ShibaBella at 2013-07-21 22:23:09
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    When I need inspiration for new tricks I choose one from here:

They have other videos on youtube if you search Elee shiba inu you should find them.

I want Ember to learn sit pretty and wave like in this video (@ time 0:58). The hugging is cute too! this is also "Clap hands" or trick #4 from the Elee show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RYWHlsW3qjc
  • ShibaBellaShibaBella
    Awwww this is so cute!!!! Thanks @shibalove
  • So Oki is now 4 months and he can do sit, down, rollover, turn on the spot, position sit next to me, leave it (anything but the cats! But getting much better), paw, off, high five, play dead and weaving in and out of my legs. He seems to really enjoy trick training but I have a question about the last one.

He knows what to do and can do it well. However, on a few occassions when getting him to do the leg weave, when I give him the cue to go under my leg he starts jumping in a silly way on my other leg and puts on that silly shiba smile of his (like when he's about to do the shiba 500) and won't do the trick. I then ignore him for a bit and start again and he usually complies because he still wants the treat. Is this him just being a puppy and getting confused and a bit bored perhaps, or is it a sign he doesn't like this particular trick? He seems to never get bored of doing a series of all his other tricks. I guess this one is a bit more demanding, maybe it's his protest to tell me he can't be borhered with that one! If so, that's sad because I was getting carried away dreaming of doing heelwork to music with him lol.
  • pyleapylea
    Silly question: does anyone have a recommendation for a hula hoop suitable for a shiba to jump through? :-?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)