For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
When people know its a shiba
  • lucylulucylu
    There are a lot of threads that are about people not knowing what a shiba inu is, but what do you think about the people that do? Just now on a walk the mail carrier asked if Lucy was a shiba. Whenever that happens I seem to get too excited. Haha
  • SayaSaya
    That has happened few times which surprises me as most who know shiba always say I thought they only come in white and red..

Some do know they come in B&T too.

The mail lady knows she is a shiba and loves it when I have her out front she gets to pet her. hehe
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • GatsuGatsu
    lol, I'm always shocked whenever they know, and give them kudos for knowing. Gidget usually throws them off though. I usually hear them say, "I didn't know they came in black"
  • redcattooredcattoo
    For whatever reason, the people I meet either know Bear is a Shiba or ask what breed. I have been surprised too at how many people I have come across that say to me "Is that a Shiba?". Maybe it is my area? Maybe it is the circle of people I am willing to interact with? Whatever it is, I would say I continued to be surprised because this forum had me expecting a lot different.
  • I get it every once in a while at petsmart by employees who know dogs really well, and when I do I usually end up spending half an hour talking to them about dogs and shibas and everything, because I'm so excited somebody knows what onyx is!
  • Every now and then someone will know what kind of dog I have. Most people ask me if my pup is german shepard husky mix and when I tell them its a Shiba Inu they get this really confused look and say it all slow like " A Sheee Baaah, Eee nu?" lol
  • I know about the Sheee Baaaah Eeee Muuu reaction! (I get that rather e-nu!) But I've had a couple of times when people knew. Once I've mentioned before was on campus, when someone said "is that dog part fox?" (which is REALLY stupid), and another passerby said "no, it's a Shiba Inu, a Japanese hunting dog." I just laughed out loud, and the young man who knew, smiled and waved and continued on.

Also, not to long ago at the grocery store, a woman walked by and noticed the dogs in the car and said "well there's a Shiba Inu and an Akita!" And my favorite comment was when I brought Toby into the dog bakery and a young woman rushed around the corner to fuss over him, and said "Shiba!" She was Japanese, and said she liked his (larger) size and that it reminded her of the Shibas in Japan, which she claimed are larger than American Shibas (I have not evidence that that is true, but Toby was happy to be fussed over and get a cookie).

There's no hope with the Kai Ken though. No one knows what they are at all, and most people look at me like I'm just making up a breed for my mutt. I told someone at the vet's office what he was the other day, and she was telling her (adult) daughter who then said "That's not a Japanese dog. I have a friend who has a Shiba Inu so I know what they look like."
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-12-14 13:38:12
  • BootzBootz
    lol. I usually go "wow...impressive!"

But sometimes I get a "no way thats a Shiba, she's too friendly"
    I sometimes get "Akita" and just tell them they are close enough :)
  • RikkaRikka
    I give people high fives when they guess correctly.
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    My favorite correct ID was by a young Japanese woman who said, "You have a Shiba Ken!"
    犬竜
  • I've had a couple people ask if Maggie is a Shiba before and my husband and I get totally thrilled!

We've even had someone ask if she was a "Japanese Akita pup." Hahaha, I'll even take that over "Is she half fox??"
  • I have had probably 6 people in a year know she was a shiba....5 were at the dog park tho
    Fred and Jodie...Madison WI

**Mika....The Shiba Inu**

**Zoey....The Schipperke**
  • WendyNCWendyNC
    Keiko is recognized as a Shiba far more often than I'd expect in a small southern town. Apparently there's somebody in the area who is well known to many people and who has a Shiba.
  • Hmm, I guess I'm neither fazed when people ID Bowdu as a Shiba nor when they don't, since answering the questions has become as natural as walking the dogs every day. One of the weirder misidentifications was from a Japanese couple who were debating whether or not he was a Shikoku ken, since he's a bit larger than the typical Shiba. I'm guessing they were savvy enough to know of Shikoku, but may not necessarily have seen one before, because Bowdu looks nothing like one...
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    I've had 2 people look at my Shiba and actually mutter "Shikoku" when they see him:D (and most people call my Shikoku a husky). My Shiba, Ichi, comes from less-than-desirable beginnings with an unscrupulous breeder and I bought him from foolish impatience and emotion. He is a leggier and taller Shiba than most, but I will nod in agreement and appreciation with people when they recognize the breed.

However, I'm of 2 minds about it.
    1.) I'm glad people are recognizing the breed because that means there are likely more people that are interested in them. Interest in the breed means a thriving community (as this forum is a shining example).

2.) I cringe that they recognize them because I want to do my utmost best to describe all the undesirable things about the breed to inform (and possibly dissuade) them from really considering a Shiba, "They can never be off-leash, they don't come when they're called, high prey drive and will kill small things, don't like strangers, aren't cuddlers, super-sensitive to their surroundings, mouthier and bite more than other breeds, etc." The last thing I want to do is have others follow my same mistake and purchase from a place of emotion because less scrupulous breeders will take advantage of that. Too many dogs are born and/or bred with poor health as a result. I dodged a bullet with a healthy dog, but he is shy and super reactive to stimulus (he flinches even when I pet him).

With the coming of the holiday season comes the increase of puppy sales. All the more reason I urge all of us to educate others about purchasing Shiba to make sure that this breed is the right breed for them and their household.

There can never be enough kind individuals to do rescue/foster work in the Shiba community, and even the most prolific rescue organizations cannot keep up with post-holiday puppy-buying remorse.

Jesse
    Post edited by CrimsonO2 at 2012-12-14 21:05:38
  • jelliesjellies
    I've accepted "Look, its the Nintendog!" as a correct answer.

Post edited by jellies at 2012-12-14 23:20:21
  • SayaSaya
    Saya's on my 3ds!
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • zandramezandrame
    I also tend to get "Shiba ken" from Japanese people. It makes me smile.

More common though is "Akita," so I tell them the Shiba is a smaller cousin.
    After that people usually ask how big he will get, and if there is a smaller version... once a girl specifically said, "but I really want a teacup one."

The most memorable though was when I was in a parking lot holding Kouda, and a deaf man stopped us and began signing. I didn't understand, so he pulled out a piece of paper and wrote "Japanese dog," and after I nodded he wrote, "movie" which I took to reference the Richard Gere Hachiko film so I nodded again (which is technically correct since the young Hachi was played by Shiba pups). He then made crying motions with his hands down his face, and I agreed that it was a very sad movie! He was a bit overcome with emotion and was petting Kouda and saying "beautiful dog," "wonderful dog." He patted me on the shoulder and thanked me. When he reached his car he signed to his wife inside and she turned to look. We waved and then we went on our way. It was sweet.
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    Akita comes up quite a bit by those who are purely guessing. In California, at least in the Bay Area, a fair amount of people seem to recognize Shibas. Sometimes they may get pronunciation wrong or throw in an extra word, or something that sounds like a word, but you can tell they've at least seen one before.

• tatonkatatonka
    Is that a Shi-- oh, he's barking, that's cute. Oh he barks a lot doesn't he? Aww he's so scaawed of meee. Oh he does bark a lot! Bye!!
    Monkey!
  • deerparkdeerpark
    @zandrame that is a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing. @Rikka, haha Imma do that next time
  • ArcticArctic
    Around me, I've found that people either have no idea what a Shiba is and have never heard of one, or they identify my pup right away as a Shiba. No middle ground, either immediate identification, or they've never heard of the breed.
  • micomico
    Shibas are so rare in the UK hardly anyone knows what breed she is and the fox comments are wearing thin. Akitas have a bad press so we now say the breed is related to huskies (joe public thinks they're a cute and cuddly breed).

We were at a malamute sledging event the other week and only one of the owners knew what she was but she did get a lot of attention from the others.
  • KimuraKimura
    In my smaller isolated town (with 3 shibas total), so far only 2 people have recognized the breed. The first was the owner of an Amerian Akita, the other was a vet tech who's really into rare breeds...
    I do love the idea of high-fiving people who get it right, though :D
    Post edited by Kimura at 2012-12-20 09:24:40
  • GemmaGemma
    I usually just let people have akita, and just say "she's like a small one".
    I would like to fully correct people but we get stopped so often I dont have time! :P
    Laika has only being recognised as a shiba once, and it was by a lady who said she went to dog shows alot, apart from that no one has ever heard of the breed!
  • We get the "is that a fox?" Comment alot or is that a husky, or that's an Akita. I usually say its a Shiba Inu, the smallest breed from Japan! Though once you say its a shiba inu, they look at you like you just made up the breed! Then if they ask more I go into further details about the breed. The few times people have said that's a Shiba, I smile and say yes he is. But also everyone thinks he's a puppy and are surprized when I say how old he is!
  • I get so excited when they know my dogs are shibas. I get super excited when I see other people with shibas and tell them I have two. Makes me feel like we shiba people know something others don't haha.
  • MegaenMegaen
    So far only two people i didnt know have known my dogs were Shibas. One was at the park and she said " oh my you have a shiba inu they are cute" turns out one of her friends had one. Another time I was with Lena in the car waiting for my husband to get off work, car pulled up next to me and he called out "i like your shiba inu". Both times I was happy as not to many people in my area know what they are....
  • MayamaMayama
    I'm usually really impressed when people figured that Maya is a Shiba, since her long coat makes her look very different from standard Shibas.

I remember once a 5-year-old girl and her mom came up to me to ask if Maya's a Shiba. According to the mom, the little girl saw Maya and insisted that she's a Shiba Inu, but the mom didn't believe it. They argued for a while and decided to confirm with me.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • We live in the country had to make our monthly run to the dump and since we had the trailer hooked up we decided to get a load of mulch for the flower bed...I noticed a woman had been following us for awhile...I slowed up and motioned her to pass but she wouldn't...she ended up following us to the nursery to ask if the dog with her head out the window was a Shiba
  • RyanRyan
    What's a shiba? I have a fox-x-husky... jeez
    Bella (Sherae Aka Akicho) | F | Born 27/1/2012
    Suki (Aust. Ch. Betlin Takaisuki) | M | Born 03/02/2005, adopted 10/09/2012
  • I agree with Arctic. People either know what she is right away or they have never heard of a shee-ba-eeee-muuu. I have only come across maybe 3 people who know what she is. The vet says they work with 2 other shibas (both reds) but I've never seen another shiba other than the ones at dog shows. The most common comment I get is that she looks like a mini husky which I don't understand.
  • Kay23Kay23
    I completely agree with the no middle ground. And, like everyone else, I get ECSTATIC when someone knows my Kira is a shiba! For those that have never heard of a shiba, i hear she looks like a german shepard (she's black and tan), which I don't get at all. And one person actually THOUGHT she was part fox... some people are pretty dense.
  • As I have had a shiba for 12 years now, I am coming across more and more people who know that my dogs are shibas. My oldest (Kenji) came from a show breeder, so he looks more like the standard shiba. My other two are from a shiba mill, so they look less standard, with thinner coats. At the local shiba meet-ups, most of the shibas look to be from mills or backyard breeders (but I think they are all beautiful anyway :). So when they met Kenji, a lot of them remarked how different he looked. Their idea of what a shiba should look like was (sadly, to me) the mill bred shiba. But at one dog park, a woman came up to me and pointed to Kenji and asked if he was a shiba. Then she saw my other two and asked what they were and I said they were shibas, too. She told me she had a friend who had a shiba that was purchased from a show breeder. I found that pretty interesting.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Went w the wife and kids to go meet Santa and about 8 people asked me if Kuma was a shiba inu.
  • wufanwufan
    I knew well about shiba before I had my own. At least I thought I knew them well. But there was once I went over to someone who was leash walking a very beautiful Akita which I thought was a Shiba and exhilarated wow what a cute shiba! It's funny how I imagined the size of a Shiba before I actually own one. Of course this would not happen after I had my wufan. But just not long ago, I identified an Akita and was happy that I did but the owner kindly pointed out that it was a Shikoku...
    Post edited by wufan at 2012-12-25 13:44:45
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    @wufan, you can play it safe by calling the dog a Nihonken.
    犬竜

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)