For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
New book (memoir) on Shibas
  • Lauren Slater, who is a wonderful creative nonfiction writer (memoir, personal essays) and a psychologist, has a new book out called The $60,000 dog: My life with Animals. It is about, among other things, her life with her two Shiba Inus, one of whom she spent a fortune on as the dog started going blind. Several years ago, and excerpt from this memoir was published in O magazine, and I read it then, and thought it would make a great book. Well, it's out! And there's a Shiba puppy on the cover!

It might make a great holiday gift for those who like dogs, but also those who simply enjoy good nonfiction! (I've used her earlier books in my creative writing classes--she's really good!)

http://www.amazon.com/60-000-Dog-Life-Animals/dp/0807001872/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355450643&sr=1-1&keywords=the+60,000+dog
  • Neat. Thanks for posting this.
  • I'm torn about this book. The excerpt I read was interesting and it did have some appeal, but honestly, I had a hard time getting past her marriage, which despite all protestations sounded pretty awful. I also kind of thought her husband seemed like a sociopath, again despite all protestations.
  • SayaSaya
    Interesting I might get it from library or Christmas.

I read a bit slow still reading Notes from a East Siberian Hunter 300pages or so long.. Still not in the middle of the book yet!

I get too distracted. lol I need finish organizing my room and putting some things in storage.

Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • I like her other books, including "Lying" so I probably won't mind the issues with her husband.

I totally forgot that I got the phrase "making a comma" from her essay in O magazine. She said of her Shiba that when she came home, the dog greeted her by "making a comma of pure pleasure" (which is really a paraphrase not a quotation!), and ever since then, I've said that my Shibas are "making commas" when they do that happy Shiba curve thing!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Aww, that's Ikey's little happy dance. Now I have a new name for it :)
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • sunyatasunyata
    I downloaded the sample and will read some next week... If her husband plays a large role in the book, I might not be able to deal with it... But we shall see. Either way, looking forward to reading the sample!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • YukikoYukiko
    I ordered the book from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. I'm ~1/4 through the book and so far it's mainly been talking about her life growing up and her experiences with animals - haven't read anything about her husband or Shibas yet. Honestly though, some of the stuff I've read so far is horribly appalling. I look forward to finishing the book before passing judgement though.
    Post edited by Yukiko at 2012-12-14 09:20:47

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)