For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Be careful of traps while walking your dog
  • Very sad story in my area. I have started waking Yoshi in the woods behind my house and even though it is conservation land and is protected from hunters, one never knows. I have started walking with long branches I pick up at the start of our walk to poke around when he stops to sniff. The trails go for a couple miles and I am even more vigilant after this story. I'm also starting to wear an orange cap just in case. Wu

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/boston-north/New-Hampshire-dog-killed-in-trap-officials-say-was-illegally-set/-/11984708/17687412/-/11i05x7/-/index.html

• redcattooredcattoo
    How Aweful! I worry because my country club suburbia community has some coyotes. Just found out somehow a neighbor has received permission and set steel jaw traps in our golf course community.
  • SayaSaya
    I hope your dog never has get hurt by a trap. Not a fun thing.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-12-07 08:57:38
  • ZinjaZinja
    As you know, people mistaken Shibas as Foxes as well. I'm not sure when hunting season begins but I always had a bandana on Sasuke when we went in the woods.
  • SayaSaya
    Yeah Saya has two bandana one is her usual green and blue one and other is her orange one..
    Saya in her gear she also has jingle bells on so she can be heard.
    Photobucket

I'm thinking getting her a high visibility vest to use on hikes I dunno still looking.

hurtta is a good brand.

http://www.hurttacollection.com/en/lifeguard-en/products/high-visibility-vests/
    Photobucket
  • ZinjaZinja
    Ooooh, Saya looks awesome! I forgot to put a bandana on my kai and I couldn't see him when I had him off leash.. had a moment of fright until I heard rustling in the bushes.
  • That's horrible! I live in a high poach spot so unfortunately It has happened here to a few dogs, especially strays. I hope the hunter is brought to justice. I have no problem with responsible hunting but this is ridiculous.
  • That is pretty horrible! :( It's yet another reason why I don't want mine offleash...you never know about stuff like this!

I love the pics of Saya though! She looks great!

And @Zinja, yeah, I can't even SEE my Kai in the woods (as in our yard), so sometimes I think he needs a bandana just in the yard! When he was a puppy, we put a light on him when he was outside at night.
    Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-12-07 19:56:35
  • Sukoshi is a black and tan Shiba and can blend in easily with the landscape. I got one of those orange doggie rain covers for her to wear for walking at night. Fairly light weight. This would also be a good option for keeping track of your Shiba in the woods.
  • SayaSaya
    Saya is B&T and she blends in well unless there is snow on the ground. Her jingle bells work nicely for locating her too. :)

Turkey bells are pretty nice to put on the collar I might get one to try see which bells are best hearing them at a distance..

Bella our white boxer is horrible to see in the snow luckily she needs to wear a jacket so she is visible.

Be sure bandana is tight enough so it doesn't come off running around.

I like the hurtta high visibility vest the polar or the twilight one is nice or the micro one wish somewhere local sold the products.

Maybe there is a similar product to it at one of the local pet store places or at the kayak and hiking store they sell dog stuff.
    Photobucket
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-12-07 21:12:48
  • This is so scary. When ever we go back home to the farm I leave a harness and a bandana on Tosh he looks so much like a fox that I know my neighbors might mistaken him and well.... Iets just say it scares me ....
  • ZinjaZinja
    Saya looks straight from an anime! She looks great, as I mentioned before.

My old apartment complex thought Sasuke was a fox and they called me just before calling animal services to ensure it was my dog and not a real fox running around.
  • EthosEthos
    Thats sick and so sad! Some irresponsible people can ruin ur life and your pets life with their stupidity and ignorance.
  • My aunt foster's English Setters and one she had lost a leg in a bear trap clamp. Someone found it out in the woods stuck in the trap. Such a lucky dog to still be alive

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)