For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Lost Puppy! Do you know what breed?
  • We found a dog/puppy wandering loose around my brothers neighborhood. We knocked on every door and no one has ever seen this dog before. We're trying to find it's home, but not sure it was a great home to begin with. I'd like to turn her over to a rescue. Since she is female, and I have my 2 Shiba girls, I don't think it's going work for us to even foster her. I don't want to turn her over to the humane society.
    I'm wondering if any of you can help us identify the breed?

Photobucket

I don't even know if she's full grown, but her paws are about the size of my Shiba's. So I'm thinking she'll be a medium size, if she's not already full grown. She's just a peanut!

Anything suggestions to breed or other "safe" options for her are appreciated!

Thanks!
    ~Steph and Wade~ Proudly owned by: Shiba and Lyla
    http://luv4shiba.tumblr.com/
  • BootzBootz
    lol Default: "Chihuahua mix"

Go to the shelters and have them scan her to see if she's microchipped. If she is than you can drop her off at the shelter without worry.
    I think there is a law that states you cant euthanize a dog if its claimed (microchipped).

If she's not then....I don't know what are some safe alternatives :(
  • terrier mix. For sure that's a terrier face, if she has whiskers and it looks like she does. Face looks slightly border terrier-like, but I'd just say terrier mix.

If you can't even foster her (and certainly I understand that), take her to the best run shelter in your city. In our town, Animal Humane is very very good, and has a very low euthanasia rate. You might start there, or at least call them for more info./suggestions.
  • SayaSaya
    I agree take her to a vet or shelter to be scanned for a microchip sadly not many do it still, but hopefully she has one in her.

Does the microchip scanners the shelter and vet have scan all brands of microchips? That what worries me is microchip my dogs have aren't same as the one the vet or shelter scans for.. :\

Post up flyers and post on craigslist or newspaper. Could been a escape dog or just was let go. I dunno.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    She looks like a terrier mix or even a Boxer mix if I'm viewing her body right...
    Best thing to do is vet> flyers > no kill shelter (after holding her a few days)
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Yes, please be sure she is scanned for a microchip.

If you have a community FB, website, and/or email blast, contact whomever oversees it. We have a neighborhood lady who keeps our community social network channels and can email blast those in the community who joined the email list.

Glad she found someone who cares enough to ensure she gets home or to a place where she has the best chance at a good home.
  • OKay, update! I brought her to my vet last night and they were so helpful! They took her picture and posted it up and also faxed it to some of the other vets in town. They did scan her but she was not chipped. They said she was healthy. Thought she was about 6-9 months old, and they said she was a beagle mix (that threw me... I don't see it). My sister in law's brother, has taken her in. We are continuing to search for her home, including hitting a trailer park near where we found her, in a not so nice neighborhood. We've posted signs, called the pound, Craigslist ad's, radio announcements, and I put one in the local newspaper. Her new foster dad is very devoted to finding her home, but is very ready and willing to be her forever home if it comes to that. For a dog that was timid around males, she really has come out of her shell around him! He's already signed her up for puppy kindergarden (which he thought would be nice for her real home, if we find them). What a great match. My heart was proud as I watched them load up into his truck. She never looked back! :) Thanks for all your help and ideas!
    ~Steph and Wade~ Proudly owned by: Shiba and Lyla
    http://luv4shiba.tumblr.com/
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    That's great to hear
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @DakotaRose42 thanks for the updates. I hope she knows how lucky she is to have come across your family. That is just awesome you are working so hard to try to reunite her with her previous family, but are ready to also give her a forever home. Your update reminds me that there are so many good people out there advocating for lost pets. Thanks.
  • SayaSaya
    I hope they find her a home if not it's good she is in good hands if they don't find her owner.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)