For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shiba in pain but not limping ?
  • Emma has been acting very weird today. She is normally very cuddly and likes to be next to us all the time. She jumps on the couch, then on the window seal and follows me everywhere. Today she has done none of that. I noticed something off yesterday when she tried to jump on the couch a couple times and then gave up, as if she knew she couldn't make it. She went upstairs and climbed on the bed to sleep - she has never gone upstairs to lay on the bed alone before. Then later my roommate was petting her and it made Emma scream. I wasn't there to see it, but the roommate said she was just petting her back.

Today she has laid on the floor all day. She sits and lays down slowly as if it hurts, but she isn't limping. When I was going to take her for a walk she got really excited and started to run around. Then she made a little yelp and stopped. After that, she tried to stay away from me - she has never done that! It was almost as if she was scared of me. When I did sit next to her and pet her head, she was shaking. I let her be for a little bit, and went to do some shopping. When I got home she was trying to jump and be excited that I was home, but was making weird sounds. Since then, I gently picked her up and put her on the couch. She has been sleeping ever since. She usually lays right up against me, but tonight she has been laying against the arm of the chair.

I will call the vet tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before. She isn't limping when she walks and seems to be feeling better when she hasn't jumped for a while, so I am a little inclined to wait and see if she feels better, but I don't want it to be something bad and then not take her.
  • SayaSaya
    Screaming like she is in pain or not able to jump up on something she normally is able to is worrying. :(

I'm not sure do you know if she did something to hurt her muscle or leg?

Shiba are prone to luxating patellas and Hip dysplasia. I'm not sure how common it is in the breed.. :\

I know of a Min pin with LP it would pop out once in while after a run she would pop it back on her own.

It could be a sprained foot, or sore foot, but it could also be HD, LP. I dunno sorry.

I've been lucky and Saya hasn't had issues with her legs or any pain like that.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • DebDeb
    I would definately take her to the vet. Some shiba are very stoic and can be in real distress and not really show it. But then, some are drama types, too. I would be concerned that she cried out when your room mate was touching her back as well as the changes in her behavior.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I hope the vet visit goes well today, you are doing the right thing as it sounds like a professional needs to take a look. I would say what has happened is not usual. I only hope it isn't something serious, please keep us updated.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Take her to the vet IMMEDIATELY. It sounds like it could be a spinal issue, such as a slipped disc or pinched nerve.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • I think it definitely sounds like a back issue, has she run into anything lately? When Ryu was a puppy he was jumping up to try to see a little Chihuahua in someone's arms and he did half a flip and landed on his back on the concrete. The next day we noticed he wasn't eating much or running around like usual. He also wouldn't do his dance trick or anything else that involved him standing on two legs. We took him to the vet and after examining him they found a spot on his back where he was very sensitive. Turns out it was just a bruise so they gave him some muscle relaxers and mild pain medicine. Within a few hours of taking the muscle relaxers he was running around again like normal. Hopefully your issue is something similar and not more serious. Its very good that you monitor her behavior closely because I have found that small changes can let you know if something is wrong. Good luck.
  • We went to the vet today during lunch. Vet said it was her a muscle issue on her back. She gave us some anti-inflammatory meds and a muscle relaxant med.

Emma got the pills as soon as we got back to work and within an hour she seemed to be feeling better.

Thank you all for your help! Now . . . how do you keep a Shiba from jumping while they are healing? :o)
  • DebDeb
    Good, I'm glad it wasn't any more serious. Keep a shiba from jumping when they're healing? Can't completely.....just don't ask her to do things that would aggravate the injury. (which you already knew:o) It's hard to keep them totally quiet.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @aferraro - Crate them.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @aferraro, glad it sounds like it isn't serious and it is getting treated. Good luck keeping her calmer for awhile.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)