For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What would you do?
  • redcattooredcattoo
    If you had $10,000 given to you that had to be used towards bonding with your Shiba(s) what would you do?

If by any chance I win over $10 million in tonight's power ball, I will give 3 members upto $10,000 (US) to fulfill those wishes if you answer in the next 24 hrs.

I probably won't win, but I think it would be fun to see what everyone's dreams are for bonding with their Shibas if money wasn't an issue.
  • INU RYUUINU RYUU
    Agility training would be an activity that I would focus on.
    犬竜
  • XabiXabi
    I would like to start another neighborhood dog park.

And if I win, first my shibas and I are going to disappear and then start our own squad of vigilante justice! You know it takes time to find the appropriate transport and matching outfits.
    X & I signature smaller
    Post edited by Xabi at 2012-11-28 09:23:58
  • redcattooredcattoo
    If anyone wonders what I will do if I have any luck in winning a significant part of the $500 million dollar (US) power ball jackpot here it is .... keeping in mind my dreams are to win the full $500 million and be able to feel comfortable not having to work for the rest of my life (I am almost 41 yrs old right now), so what would I want to do in regards to bonding with my Shiba, Bear?

I would develop a private not-for-profit country club for dogs (not humans per se), similar in concept to private not-for-profit country clubs for humans. While my Board of Directors, committees, and staff would have to be humans the membership would not be linked to the owner (human), but to the dog applying for membership.

I would see the mission of the private not-for-profit country club as a recreational facility designed for the dog to bond with their owner. I see some of the amenities offered to be including: indoor/outdoor agility training facilities, nosework training facilities, and lure coursing facilities, along with an area inside/outside for just free time play/socialization. The locker rooms would be a nice kennel type area for breaks, feeding, and rest time. In essence a secure indoor/outdoor facility that dogs who are members can bring their owners too for a day of training, bonding, and socializing.

Because I would try to structure it like a private country club, the members would have the security of knowing the other members thereby minimizing negative interactions and creating a structure that allows for enforcement of rules.

Of course I would then use this facility towards my own goal of keeping Bear's life interesting, challenging, and fun. Along with this I would drag my husband and Bear around the country in a large motor home to various events and experiences promoting some animal related cause while having fun competing at various trials.

So that is my dream, of course that takes more than the $10,000 I am offering 3 members if I win, but I wanted to share my vision for my Shiba, Bear, if by any chance my family does win a significant part of today's largest power ball jackpot.

I should add my family may also consider at that point adding a second Shiba into our family also as my husband has taken to wanting a cream Shiba.

• INU RYUUINU RYUU
    If we are thinking big (main Prize) I would form a national foundation to provide subsidized veterinary care for Shiba and other Nihon Ken breeds for rescues and low income owners.
    犬竜
    Post edited by INU RYUU at 2012-11-28 10:49:46
  • lucylulucylu
    I'd think my shiba would really enjoy bora bora so id take her there. Just being real
  • tatonkatatonka
    Down payment towards a house so that Tatonka can have a yard.

With $500M I'd go drive a national referendum that gives dog owners the rights to bring dogs wherever they want.
    Monkey!
    Post edited by tatonka at 2012-11-28 11:39:01
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @INU RYUU, love your big picture (main prize) dream! Also support and love your dream related to my $10,000 challenge as I am a big fan of activities like agility to take the bond with any dog, especially a Shiba, to a new level.

@Xabi, laughed at your own squad of vigilante justice ... pictured dark mysterious vigilantes stalking your current dog park enforcing dog park justice.

@lucylu love that you kept it real

@tatonka it is a great dream to have the freedom to be able to consider a down payment on a house with a yard (I am presuming with a real fence), because so many people just can't afford (for many reasons not only money) to do that for their dogs

• if I won the money, i'd try to pass a law to ban all puppy mills.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @shibahiro, admirable, but really doesn't speak to what my original question was which is ....

"If you had $10,000 given to you that had to be used towards bonding with your Shiba(s) what would you do?"

I really am more interested in what you would do to enhance the life you have with your Shiba, not what you want to do outside of that.
  • First of all, I'd put up better fences in my backyard, and make sure that chain link fence extends a few feet underground the perimeter so that I can totally be sure that she cannot escape. The wood fences would be 8 feet tall, so that she can't jump/climb over. That way, when I'm working from home, I can let her play in the backyard to her heart's content. As it is, even though my desk is right by the back door, I don't like her to ever be out of my sight. Then, I'd spend most of the remaining money on classes at the great dog training center nearby, and if she ends up enjoying agility (which I really hope she does!) I'll get us a few obstacles to have in our backyard, so we can practice whenever we want. Considering I work from home, and take "puppy play breaks" every hour or two, there's really not too much more in the way of bonding I could do - but I think she'd love a little outdoor freedom, and I think we're both going to enjoy any classes we can take in the future!
    Post edited by Hummingbird at 2012-11-28 13:06:39
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @Hummingbird, keeping your Shiba safe and keeping training new and enjoyable are great ways to keep the bond. I think your wishes are very realistic and would help enhance the bond further, especially if she enjoys agility and you have a yard that can handle a few pieces of equipment.
  • BootzBootz
    lol. Nice question. AND DAMN CALIFORNIA FOR NOT PARTICIPATING IN THE POWER BALL.

If i had $10,000 and it has to go towards bonding with Bootz.... I know she doesnt like agility/nose work...honestly it'll just be buying her and me some nice steaks everyday. Hers will be raw of course and mine cooked ^_^ Bootz is pretty chill, she just enjoyed nice walks on the beach....staring at the stars in the sky...sniffing the fresh air. She's very simple and easy to please :) which is why i love her.
  • If I had $10,000 to spend on bonding activities with Nikko I would start with a refresher in some training courses. He completed puppy and intermediate courses but should probably revisit that and finish off with the advanced courses. I have also been so jealous of all of these fun activities everyone mentions on the forum like agility, herding, lure coursing, and truffle hunting. I think it would be great to try some of those more physically and mentally challenging (for both me and Nikko)! I also saw that someone on here brought their Shiba to swimming lessons and since Nikko's hips aren't the greatest I think this would be a great form of exercise for him and something to spice up the monotony. Finally, I might have some extra spending money to do some things that I know me and Nikko have tried and love such as camping and hiking in the Ozarks with a little bit of river boat fishing (Nikko loved that) and maybe we could venture out to some new camping and hiking spots. I am also curious what everyone else might do because I could get some good ideas that way! Ohh now I want to go do all that I mentioned! Good luck tonight!
    Photobucket
    These were taken a few years ago when Nikko was still pretty young.
  • XabiXabi
    @redcattoo Oh, we wouldn't limit it to just the dog park! We'd definitely go international. "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shiba knows!!!"

I would also probably make serious my efforts at trying to build my own agility equipment for my own use. As well as enrolling in area obedience and agility courses to enhance their training and further develop our continued bonding.

If I win the big prize, a more realistic goal would be an attempt to try to get an award similar to a purple heart available for military service animals.
    X & I signature smaller
  • JuniJuni
    I know of this training facility for dogs and owners in northern Spain I'd love to go to. They can arrange all sorts of activities like agility, nose work and hiking. When I was emailing them last year they even promised they'd be able to teach Juni to enjoy swimming in their pool. That would be worth the money alone. I think we'd have a total blast there.
    In the summer Juni and I went to a weekend doggy camp and it was so nice spending 3 full days doing dog oriented things with her. She was dead tired in the evenings but like an over tired child didn't want to go to bed.
    I am also thinking the money could be used for me cutting down work so I could stay at home one more day a week for a year so I could spend more time with my little precious.
    Post edited by Juni at 2012-11-28 13:40:42
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @ShibaLove that is a wonderful goal, made my heart skip a beat reading through it, especially using it for extra time away camping, hiking, fishing. Also loved the photos you included. I would so worry Bear would tip the boat, especially if he saw a flapping fish being reeled in ... not sure the water would stop the prey drive at that moment LOL.

@Xabi, you are making me laugh with the vigilante going international.

@Juni, you peaked my interest now in something like an away type camp/training program that does sound like a great bonding experience full of new and interesting environments to keep it all interesting.
  • I would find a place to build an indoor dog park so that people would have a place to take their dogs to play year round, rain or shine with no dirt or mess to worry about.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Great thread! And I'm liking these creative answers.

What I would do for my dogs:

I would turn my big shop into a top to bottom dog play house and training center with fully matted floors and nice agility equipment, and offer training and lessons. I would also make my own brand of agility training treats.

Then, I would buy an RV, deck it out for the dogs, and hit every beach from Longbeach, WA to Capitola, California and off leash the Shibas at every single one in a totally awesome Dune Dog Extravaganza.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2012-11-28 14:53:36
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @lindsayt the Dune Dog Extravaganza picture really made me smile thinking about your dogs doing the 500 up and over the dunes and returning to a totally decked out RV to crash in the shade of the extended awning off the side.
  • sunyatasunyata
    You know, these are all great answers... However, I would do something a little different if I had $10,000 to spare. Most of you know that Nola has been sick for a little over a year. Over the past 14 months, I have spent several thousand dollars (and racked up quite a credit card bill) trying to keep her well. If $10,000 were to suddenly appear in my bank account, I would pay off the rest of our vet bill debt and be able to spend a good chunk of money on tests that I can not otherwise afford to determine exactly what is going on inside my little N's body (brain scans included to figure out exactly where and what type of tumour is causing all of this havoc).

If there is any money left over, I would probably by some sort of camping trailer so that the pups can safely travel with me to mountain bike events. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @sunyata that sentiment made tears come to my eyes just thinking about the range of emotions you must have gone through and are going through not knowing what is wrong and having to balance, like all of us, choices on what courses of action/tests we can take when our precious babies are not well.
  • Aw, Casey, that made me really sad.

And I was thinking along similar lines. I'd probably have the CT scan that we can't afford done on Bel, to see if we can see a tumor or something else causing her seizures and her wierd temperament issues. And right now, since I'm sitting here with a very sick Akita, I'd also get some more expensive tests that in real life we can't afford done on him, so we can see if it really is the bone problems in his spine that are causing his other issues.

And if we had any money left, I'd put up a wood privacy fence, instead of the stock fencing we have now, to keep all four of the dogs safer, and maybe even put in a dog run, so if I need to separate them while outside, I can do that more easily.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @shibamistress I feel for you too. I hated the feeling when my cat was passing on that I eventually had to make financial choices not to do certain tests and not try aggressive cancer treatments due to cost. It is worse when you don't really know the root of the issue.

So many great bonding dreams being expressed on this thread today. Thanks everyone for sharing your wishes and dreams if you had an extra $10,000 to use for your precious dogs. Most every sentiment makes me hope more I do win the power ball tonight and can make some of your dreams a reality. This forum and the members here have been so great with my journey with Bear, it would be so special to have the means to return the favor.
  • McYogiMcYogi
    I would buy land just outside of a city and run a giant foster facility, like a summer camp, for children, dogs, cats, livestock, and maybe one day exotics. The children would be responsible for some of the care of the animals, similar to the way prisoners are usually benefited by caring for an animal while incarcerated. It's been my dream forever.

• lucylulucylu
    For those wanting to buy land and start businesses. You know she's only giving you $10,000 right? I don't know where your from but that wouldn't even buy a half acre by me.
  • McYogiMcYogi
    Oh... I guess it was just a flight of fancy on my part... I hardly expect a stranger to give me any money, let alone $10,000. Was just dreaming.

• Just bought three powerball tickets. We decided the first set of numbers was for my boyfriend, the second set for me, and the third is Kaya's. If her #'s win, we'll both sit on the floor and call her to us - whoever she goes to gets to decide how to spend the winnings first!
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @McYogi, it is never bad to dream big, but yes, if by any wild stroke of luck I do win over $10 million in tonight's power ball drawing, I fully intend to give 3 forum members that have responded to this chain within 24 hours of my original post upto $10,000 (US) towards what they would love to do to enhance the bond they have with their Shiba or enhance the health of their Shiba.

It is fun to dream big and reach for the next galaxy, but it is also fun to dream smaller and reach for the moon as maybe some day maybe you can fulfill the smaller dream (ie an inheritance or other small unexpected windfall).
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @Hummingbird .... way too funny of a picture seeing you and your bf sitting there calling desperately to her in order to control how to spend the winnings ... what happens if she refuses to go to either of you or the postman comes by just at that moment and she goes to him LOL
  • tatonkatatonka
    @redcattoo, nah I'll just have an invisible fence and dress up Tatonka like a mime.

:)
    Monkey!
  • I would like to use the money as part of the payment for a minivan more suited to safely transport my two Shibas. My current vehicle is alright, but we have limited space for other trial/travel necessities with the two hard crates in it.

• My vets are hoping they win the powerball so they can retire. So, um, selfish as this is, I don't want them to retire, so I'd much rather have them NOT win! :lol:

Now, I haven't even bought any lottery tickets, so I'm not likely to win (ha!), but if I won big big? Well, a lot of money would go to Shiba and Akita rescue, that's for sure! (And if I won even a small amount, I'd at least be able to send some more $ to rescue....)

@Tatonka....*lol* Though you know, some people might take that seriously! :(
  • I like the RV+dog-friendly vacation idea myself. I feel like I already have a pretty solid bond between myself and my dogs, and few additions could change that. My parents, on the other hand, have never understood the strength of my attachment to these "high maintenance" creatures, and have consequently been very hurtful sometimes in their rejection of my lifestyle. Doesn't change the way I feel about my dogs, but it does account for a major reason why I haven't spent much time with my parents, let alone their home, since Bowdu joined the family almost 8 years ago now.

So my plan would be to drive the entire family back to Michigan, where my parents still live, and spend a good chunk of time exploring all the dog-friendly hiking and nature spots available in the area. Make it a family vacation steeped in nature and laid-back time with dogs. Hopefully my parents would learn to understand a little about what I find so enriching about the canine-human bond, and so learn to spread the love, as it were, in their own ways.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • InuzooInuzoo
    Cute thread! @redcattoo. If I were the recepient of your powerball offerings I'd enroll Zooey in the masters program at our trainer's place. She could advance in agility, obedience, canine good citizen, nose work.....she and I would do it all. It would provide fun and bonding for both of us. I'd also take along her sister Millie because everything is better when shared. I love your idea of a country club with canine members. Having a facility designated to their needs, not their humans would be a wonderful place.

Now, when "i" win the main prize, I might have to provide you some funds to make it happen. :)
  • KimuraKimura
    I think I'd modify my home a tad and open a puppy daycare. It would provide me with some income (I stay at home as it is) to buy her more treats and toys, and it would provide her with playmates during the day. I could walk them all as a pack, take them all to the park... I think it would be fun for her and as I love dogs, for me too :D
    Other possible ideas include getting agility equipment, put it in the garage and heat it for the winter to train her in it as we don't have any in my town in the winter.
  • I'd go on a road trip with my dog and blog about it the whole way. There would be lots of funny clever pictures, and we would provide a list of dog friendly drive-throu's that give treats to doggie passengers.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Thanks everyone for participating, it was really fun to see what everyone would do and share the dreams.

I live in Florida, there were two winning tickets sold, but they were in Missouri and Arizona, so not me :(

I am not sure I even won even a dollar, but it was fun to spend yesterday dreaming with everyone on the forum. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)