For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Avulsion Fracture
  • Just took my little 7 month old Liko to the vet today since she just spontaneously started limping on Thanksgiving night and the vet diagnosed her with an avulsion fracture of her right tibial crest. The vet said that low activity for a month and painkillers to decrease inflammation should do the trick but after reading up on this injury, pinning the effected area down or a splint/cast was always recommended since her quad muscles could continuously pull at the injury. The limping was only bad the first night but now she walks pretty normal and only lifts her injured leg up when standing still. She also didn't show any signs of pain during this whole ordeal. Anyone else had to deal with an avulsion fracture before? Should I go to another vet and try get a splint at least on the leg? Thanks ahead for any input that can be given.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    A second opinion isn't a bad idea. As her growth plates haven't closed yet, there is a very good chance an injury like this can heal with time and rest. In an older dog, pinning might be a better way to go. It really depends on the severity of the injury, so consult with your Vet and do what they recommend.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • KimuraKimura
    You could always go back or call your vet and tell them that you read about it and ask why they chose not to put a cast. If it makes sense, go with it, if you find the explanation insufficient, see someone else... It's your dog and her health, you have to do what you feel is right, I'm sure your vet will understand your concern!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)