For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Dog park people -_-
  • sunyatasunyata
  • chradekchradek
    As a new forum member, I must say this post has been quite educational to read! I had no idea that there could be so many issues with simply going to a dog park. It sounds an awful lot like taking your children to the playground, which can be more stressful than enjoyable if the wrong personalities are there. O.o So now I feel that I will either be completely annoyed by other people there, or else I'll be being judged and looked down on by those that know better and have no patience for my "newbie" mistakes. I've owned plenty of dogs, but never took any to the dog park. After reading this thread, I think I will just continue that trend! LOL

I do appreciate that some of you posted positive encounters though! (Not to bash anyone that was being negative - I totally understand the desire to vent in a group of trusted, like-minded folks). I could probably do the same thing in a "playground personalities" thread. ;-)

I'm sure I will one day venture out and see for myself what my local DP is like....but I will definitely do so with some serious trepidation! Yikes!
  • @Sunyata, as you know Banjo goes out every day for socialization with his trainer. If I never step foot in a dog park again, I know that Banjo will still be more than adequately socialized. The problem is I can't find a place for him and I to play fetch!!! Until now... I googled members only dog parks and sure enough I will be checking some out this weekend in NJ! Thanks for the heads up! I didn't even know they existed. (and now I can update the crazy dog owner traits I exhibit. I cancelled my golf club membership on account of wanting to spend time with Banjo (which REALLY made my golf buddies upset), and now I am considering a canine club instead??

=)

@chradek, I'm glad you see dog parks can be good places too. Please don't let this thread scare you. Like everything, its all about the experience. We go to the park pretty often and it's usually good, but I make it a point to know the dogs that are there and how they behave. I know Banjo will be a good boy (or an indifferent boy) and if the other dogs aren't in the same mindset we leave. Just read up on canine body language and you'll know when you should run or stay.

• CrystalWolfCrystalWolf
    The dog park riku and i frequent is membership of sorts. There is a code you have to enter to enter and exit. in order to get the membership your dog has to have proof of rabies vaccinations, and pay a fee of 25$ a yr which is very doable. riku and i go every day of the week.

Even the membership doesnt stop a few weirdos from entering but there are not very many. I have gotten to know the people that visit at the times that I'm there and its nice riku can socialize and so can I. there are people that bring balls and play fetch with their dogs, however I ask if they are possesive over it b/c riku will chase after the dog, but not the ball. Most of the people will not play fetch while we are there if their dog is possesive. I have been lucky with the park in our area. It also doesnt allow kids younger than 13.

I have had all posative experiances at the park, and as a side note froma previous post riku now gets along with hershey the chocolate lab he wanted to bully before so thats nice as well.
  • FuyutsukiFuyutsuki
    I would approach is asking instead of informing. Simply saying "Please don't throw the ball in the park while my dog is here, he is very toy protective and I don't want him to cause any trouble". It's a bit different than telling her not to do so and provides a reason.
  • FuyutsukiFuyutsuki
    Also, Fuyu has been going to a new park with lots of bigger dogs. My new favorite is all the owners who are scared that their dogs are going to hurt Fuyu, but the minute they turn their back Fuyu is instigating another play session with their giant dog.
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2014-06-10 23:31:49
  • GemmaGemma
    @BanjoTheBetaDog any local boarding kennels round by you with a closed of field you could play fetch in? :) I work part time at a boarding kennel and get to take Laika with me to play with the other dogs if we let some out into the field. Out of hours (with my bosses permission of course) we use the field for playing fetch, obedience training and agility :) If there's a local boarding kennel, chances are they have a large fenced off area that isn't used for some of the time. Maybe ring around some places and see if you could pop down every so often? That way he get's the freedom of being in a secure area with no unruly pooches coming to bother you ;)
  • NASANASA
  • kiba888kiba888
    Just a tip, I take Kiba to dog parks in cities that are affluent. Reasoning is that the owners in the area are more likely to have well-behaved dogs.

There is a big difference is the number of incidents Kiba gets involved in now that he goes to better dog parks.
  • Kiba, I live in a pretty affluent area (my lonely little SUV is parked between a ferrari 458 and a Porsche Panamera).... based on that logic, I'd hate to see what the DP is like "up the hill" =)

• kiba888kiba888
    @banjorthebetadog -- Let's just say I've had owners that don't do anything when their dogs get aggressive. I had to separate dogs myself and get bit in the process (though I didn't know I was bit until I saw blood all over my clothes). There are dogs that just shouldn't be at dog parks, and there are noob owners who don't know what to do when their dogs get into fights. They just put their hands over the mouths and say "omg" and watch it all unfold.

extremely frustrating.
  • shibamistressshibamistress
  • I didn't even mention about a week ago the banjo-mobile (the Sedan I purchased just for our little trips) was totaled at the dog park. Some idiot came flying around the corner and slammed it. We were in the park playing and no one was hurt but it was totaled. It's for the best as I am not saddled with insurance and parking for it, but the more I read the more I think he and I need to move to a ranch in the middle of nowhere.
  • NASANASA
  • kiba888kiba888
    I have a strong dislike of owners who have dogs that don't play, but just follow and hover near their owners. These dogs are the worst with aggression; they attack any dog that goes near the owner.
  • chradekchradek
    @BanjoTheBetaDog Jeez! So glad you guys were in the park and not the car! That's crazy!
  • FuyutsukiFuyutsuki
    My main goal at the dog park is to stay out of Fuyu's way. This is his space, and he can choose to play however and with whomever he chooses. I dictate enough fun in his life, I'll let him have this one ;)

"Sagan is the type that once he grabs a toy that the other dog wants, he runs around like a madman, playing a game. I've had people legitimately angry at me that they can't get their ball back because Sagan grabbed it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

This made me laugh so hard. The perfect emoticon for that situation.
  • BootzBootz
    @kiba888 :( my Jackie is like that. She guards me when we are at dog parks, so i normally walk around the park to avoid any scruffles. She mainly growl barks + lunges, but she never bites.

I bring her because of Bootz. When I bring Jackie, Bootz doesn't have to worry about it and runs off playing with other dogs or just lounge around. If Jackie isn't there, Bootz sticks close to me to protect me vs off doing her own thing.

• Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • JuniJuni
    There is a big dog park outside Stockholm, at the royal castle, I've probably mentioned it before, but it is like two islands connected with a bridge and surrounded by a Canal or a moat if you like. Juni hasn't realized the canal freezes in the winter so she could easily take off.
    Anyways, since it is the royal castle there are lots of tourists there and some mistake this for a picnic area or just go for a stroll or take their kids to play in the area. Some even seem to go in there to pet random dogs as part of the sight seeing...There are "warning signs" but I believe only in Swedish so it is not that easy to understand for everybody.
  • RooneyRooney
    Post edited by Rooney at 2014-10-23 18:29:03
  • RooneyRooney
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • RooneyRooney
  • dagnydagny
    We go to a pretty awesome dog park. Everyone is nice and the dogs play well. I've never seen any of this talked about humping going on. And Dagny is a favorite.

This one man, however, insists he can make our "yellow dog" like him. He is in fact traumatizing my dachshund by following him around.

Dagny's only issue is she likes to book it in the woods area and I panic when I can't see her even though it's all gated. Oh, and there was an incident with a Yorkie puppy that she thought was prey. :/ Every dog is fine, but that Yorkie did in fact look like a rodent. I'm still not sure why a timid four pound dog was left to roam the big dog section. :/ We bring Dagny to the big dog section because she's a rough player.

Post edited by dagny at 2014-11-10 14:33:11
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
  • RooneyRooney
  • So another rant to add to the pile. Most of the parks have extra wide maintenance gates for lawnmowers and such and mostly they are locked shut. Went to local park that has nice sally ports to keep door-bolters from getting out and watched in horror as lazy people HELD OPEN the unlocked maintenance gates to call their UNLEASHED DOGS to come into to area. Then most of them proceeded to walk through the area, which is the small dog area, with their large dog and open the other unlocked maintenance gate into the large dog section. WTF people. Called the parks and rec department for the city and left a message about the unlocked gates, but am planning on adding some zip ties to dog bag in case it happens again at this park.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Wow, this is a gold mine of advice! We are planning to take Coal to a dog park after we get his rabies shots and him fixed. Japan laws say that all rabies shots are given in April, so it is pointless to try and get it now because, by law, we would have to go again in April anyways. Also, dog parks here won't accept any dogs under six months (at least, the ones we find say so).

It will be interesting to see how many of these traits hold true in another country. Actually, in our area, we were only able to find one or two dog parks nearby (that is, within an hours drive). It is not yet a big thing here. I don't even know how many people go to them. Just by the fact that they are scarce, it may well be crowded :/ We'll find out this May or so!
  • There are always abandoned (public?) toys lying around at our favorite dog park. I've tried to toss the random ball I inevitably find for Ichabod, but he doesn't have a lot of interest after maybe one round of fetch ("Dad, look, other dogs!"). Nobody else cares about them either.
    Never seen any issues; so maybe the dogs don't get possessive over the unclaimed toys precisely because they've never had a chance to get attached to them. Or maybe owners of toy-possessive dogs just avoid the place (which suits us just fine). Or maybe sad, sunfaded tennis balls are universally low-value resources.
  • spacedogsspacedogs
  • JackStateJackState
  • spacedogsspacedogs
  • JackStateJackState
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @JackState one of the best parts about living in Japan is we don't get that kind of stuff almost ever. Though free treats aren't so bad, and I am sure blueberry muffins are human food, too XD
  • JackStateJackState
    Oh they did say the bag was for the dog. Maybe she forgot she snuck a human treat in there too haha.

Also it was a step-van, not a bus. The bus was from a similar incident last year. Some folks were on the way to see a play or something (theatre and art museum right by there) just pulled over and the people got out to play with people's dogs--which Ichabod is all about.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    That sounds totally annoying to me lol. I don't really care if they're polite, no need to all flock a dog park when you don't have any dogs and potentially stress out the dogs there. Go to a regular park. And I wouldn't accept any free treats in a random baggy lolol. I'm cautious about what i let Ozzy eat, but even if it looked like something I feed him myself, at best I would accept it not wanting to offend them and would toss it in the garbage at home. :P I bet they'd be unhappy if a bus full of random people brought a bunch of dogs to their church unexpectedly. :))
  • ZenkiZenki
    Post edited by Zenki at 2017-07-26 16:53:25
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    I think I understand what you mean, @Zenki

Coal really wants to meet other dogs, too, and I want him to as well---but I am very picky about what dogs he interacts with. I don't want him to be around dogs that will encourage bad behavior and social taboos in the canine world. I am trying to find well behaved dogs to socialize him with and work on setting up play dates at the park or at the dog run (they call it a dog run here)

On the plus side, we usually end up going to the dog run when there are no dogs. We have to try really hard to get there at a time that has dogs, so we can still take him. Taking him to a controlled environment like the training class really seems to have helped, too, as he gets exposure to being near dogs without the interaction--learning impulse control. Unfortunately, the beginner dogs have some questionable attitudes, so I keep my distance. Coal is kind of strong and he could totally rip his leash out of my hands if he really tried.

I wish I could say there were well socialized dogs at our dog run, but sadly...that has not been the case. I have been thinking about driving up to the nearest rest area on the high way that has a dog run and trying my luck there. We had good results the first three times.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)